Fishing-what should I know as far as a license or protocols

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fishing-what should I know as far as a license or protocols

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:11 am

During my upcoming cross country travels I would like to think that I could go fishing (not a lot of experience in the art, but that's another story).
I'm referring to just fresh water/stream fishing. Can members give me an idea of what I'd need to know with regards to licenses required by states. Do all states require
a license. Any info would be helpful.... or maybe there's some websites that can offer some info. I'll be honest this is one of those impulsive posts, asking for info before I do
any of my own research :thinking:

Thanks for any help.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Fishing-what should I know as far as a license or protoc

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:36 am

Do all states require
a license.

You can assume so, but... I say that because California allows fishing on public piers without a license. That's the only exception–-other than age--I'm aware of. You can generally buy a one-day license.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:04 pm

Check a state's DNR website for fishing regulations. There can be some hefty fines for fishing without a license!
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Welcome to my world and the cost of fishing 'out-of-state'. Used to be any salt water or brackish was free to fish, but that has changed over the years and even that requires a license in most states. Interesting though, some states if you stay at their State Parks will allow you to fish. Texas was the first I learned of doing this last season traveling. It's worth investigating the possibility in the states you will pass through. Knowing where you are headed, I'd concentrate on Montana, Wyoming & Idaho, each having trophy fisheries.

I go 40yrs back and Yellowstone National Park was free to fish within their boundary. Honestly, I have not found another nor if they still do it. Anytime anyone mentions what you have I ask that you contact your Senator(s) and tell them you want to see a National fishing license put in affect. Personally I'd be very happy if it worked on all federal lands in the same way my Seniors Pass works.
The second way of approaching this is to speak to your Representatives of your state. Reciprocation is a great thing! This is already done with many states in regard to senior discounts for camping. Same could/should be done for fishing.

Compared to the cost of a short term license I have stayed at a fishing camp and the costs worked out fair.. Then add the fact of local knowledge and I had a great time catching (not just fishing), maybe a more than fair..

Wish I could help better... All I got.
Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 pm

thanks all for the help and suggestions. Checking the individual states Natural Resource Dept's is a good idea, thanks for that.

RJ Howell wrote:I'd concentrate on Montana, Wyoming & Idaho, each having trophy fisheries.

Tha's a great idea to just concentrate on a few states .... that would cut down on some investigation.... so thanks for that thought.

Here in Massachusetts once you reach 60 (I think it is)... maybe 62.... the saltwater license is free, I just pay the $1.68 service fee. But I'd like to try my hand at some
stream fishing.... as I've never done that. Probably need some fly casting equipment to help with that.

All an adventure.

Thanks again. one other thought.... I just started learning to use GAIA GPS. I see there's a map overlay of fishing areas. Will need to explore that.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am

Capebuild wrote:
Here in Massachusetts once you reach 60 (I think it is)... maybe 62.... the saltwater license is free, I just pay the $1.68 service fee. But I'd like to try my hand at some
stream fishing.... as I've never done that. Probably need some fly casting equipment to help with that.

John

NH, MA & ME reciprocate salt water licensing. Work your way up the coast into the Maritimes, no license required for salt water! Shame fresh doesn't work the same.. Mens up a large fishery!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am

Several states here in the mid-Atlantic allow you to buy your license online and store it on your phone. You can also get a 3-5 day license in some states. But like someone said, out of state licenses can be expensive.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion