What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby MickinOz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm

pchast wrote:
MickinOz wrote:Went to the doctor about the incredibly sharp pain in my right ear.
Seems the ear plugs I wore at the range yesterday day scratched my ear and gave me an infection.
Mighta been better off letting the rifle deafen me.

Ouch... Glad you caught it right away.
What kind of ear plugs were the problem?

3M classics. The little yellow plugs you roll thin in your fingers, put them in, and then they expand again and stay there.
I've never really got along with them. Turns out proper ear muffs cost practically nothing, so I'll get a pair.
I'll have to have something, this new Winchester XPR is waaaay louder than expected.
I didn't think a puny little 0.223 calibre round would make such a big bang.
It's been an interesting journey.

I've fired 40 rounds over 2 sessions.
I wouldn't call it rapid fire. The first session was firing a couple, then clean the barrel, trying to break her in carefully.
The second session was fire one round, ride up to the target (135 yards), check point of impact, come back, adjust scope, fire 3 rounds, ride up to target, check point of impact, etc.
So it took me over an hour to send 23 rounds down the range.
Barrel still got pretty warm. Might be taking longer to run it in than I thought?
I'm finding the first 4 or 5 rounds pretty tight, then I start to spray them a little.
A lot of that is my shooting ability or lack thereof, but I'm thinking the barrel might be getting a little too warm.
(OR, I'm fulla BS and just can't shoot anymore. :lol: )

I'm getting closer though.
Last three rounds were in a three inch group, firing from a standing position.
A long way from a clover leaf, but slowly getting my eye in and the scope sorted, and possibly no too shabby to get "minute of Bambi head" at 135 yards freestanding with the aforementioned warm barrel?
Might be back to square one soon, found out yesterday my son has a quarter drive inch-pound torque wrench.
I did the scope rings up very gently, not wanting to distort anything on a $400 scope, but I'm almost certain it's moved a little from recoil.
So I will take it to my son's house this arvo and set all the tensions to the recommended torques..
Either way, the aim is to be shooting no more than one MOA before I take it hunting.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby twisted lines » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Measurements for a torsion axle trailer :thinking:
and two other past due projects
Attachments
Twisted T.jpg
Twisted T.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 pm

I camped in my favorite spot and broke in my new bike.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby nsfr1206 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:07 pm

What did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nsfr1206
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:30 pm

Just got back from Windsor Connecticut, where Shelly participated in a doll house show for the first time as a dealer

170353 170352

She designed her pieces, then printed them out on our 3D resin printer. She then sanded and otherwise cleaned them up, and then hand painted them. The artisan aspects come from the design as well as the painting stages.

Shelly also taught a class on 3D resin printing design.

This is an annual show for artisans, and there is some resistance to 3D printing. We learned it's best not to display more than one of a product, and for special higher priced (meaning it takes Shelly longer to prepare and paint) items, she decided to make limited runs. Evidently, this audience is older and favor Victorian era doll houses and furnishings. However, to maintain interest in the guild, members feel the younger folks need to be brought in and will embrace 3D printing, and also will favor more recent eras of decorating. Quite a bit to this that I hadn't realized!

There is also a regional aspect to this business. Several folks suggested more New England themes might do better than Southwest in Connecticut. Something Shelly will take to heart for next year. Never-the-less, several folks bought not only her Southwestern style pots, but some of the cholla and juniper we used to display the wares.

Certain other vendors also had interesting advice: "You need to charge more"; "You need to charge less"; "you should sell to me wholesale: half price, and I'll sell it for you at full price"; "Dealers don't charge sales tax when selling to other dealers", etc. The last one, by the way, came from the same lady who wanted Shelly's art at wholesale. Since she's Canadian, I suspect there would have been customs duties ignored as well if Shelly decided to go into business with her. This is a complicated business!

Bottom line though, Shelly covered her expenses and then some. We consider that pretty good for the first time out. There are shows all over the country, and we'll probably be making more "business trips" in our teardrop!

Anyway, most of my tools are too big to do this sort of work properly (as are my fingers), but it might be fun to try some things with our scrap wood. :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:we'll probably be making more "business trips" in our teardrop!

Finally, you can start writing off your camping adventures. :) Shelly's pieces look really nice. She must be creating them first in some 3D software.... what program is she using?
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 pm

I wrapped up my spare tire storage rack modification and posted it on Instructables. To view the project, type in "Instructables; DJ Davis; home-made camper" and scroll down to Step 13. Step 12 is the original/first concept when I had the stock 12" rims on the HF trailer.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:15 am

Capebuild wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:we'll probably be making more "business trips" in our teardrop!

Finally, you can start writing off your camping adventures. :) Shelly's pieces look really nice. She must be creating them first in some 3D software.... what program is she using?

Shelly uses Shapr 3D. I did hear some discussion of using Sketchup during her class, and Shelly tells me it can be used for the 3D resin printers as well. I haven't (yet) used either, so I can't comment on the advantages or disadvantages.

At some point, I may get into it myself, but for now I'd be content letting Shelly do any designs I may have, at least until she gets saturated with work. (After all, this is her business, and I'm retired! :lol: )

OK, this weekend did give me an idea for making a circa 1920 era wood-working shop complete with knob and tube wiring, knife switches that really work and turn on mini drill presses, saws, lathes, etc. Shelly could make the tools, while I made the room box and work benches out of scrap wood. I like 1920's because it would probably appeal to the crowd at that show, and also because I wouldn't have OSHA standards to deal with: No safety features on the mini tools, no guards on the knife switches, etc. :twisted: (Of course, in this version I'd use harmless 3-12 vdc.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby flboy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:25 pm

May be putting up storm shutters tomorrow, but on the bright side, we will have plenty of downed trees for firewood this season in Ocala National Forest.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:30 pm

nsfr1206 wrote:What did you get?

Trek Top Fuel Image

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Ottsville » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:51 pm

friz wrote:

Trek Top Fuel Image

Sexy bike. Is that a custom paint job?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:42 pm

Ottsville wrote:
friz wrote:

Trek Top Fuel Image

Sexy bike. Is that a custom paint job?
Nope. Stock color for 2022.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:16 pm

Put up shutters today.. turns out to be a good move. Storm has moved south last minute here and will exit over the area I live. Power flickering and winds are picking up. Been down this road. Please pray for the folks in the Ft. Meyers and Naples area on our West Coast. They were hammered and have catastrophic damage.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 am

flboy wrote:Put up shutters today.. turns out to be a good move. Storm has moved south last minute here and will exit over the area I live.

Take care and stay safe! We'll be thinking of you. :worship: :worship:

Tom and Shelly
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby MickinOz » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:36 am

Degreased and pressure washed the excavator to "For sale - excavator, diesel engine, full set of attachments, well maintained, only 79 hours, comes on mickey schmick 8x5 2000kg tandem trailer" standard.
Swapped out all grease fittings to standard Zerks, found a decent grease gun, filled it, and greased everything.
Reinstalled the work light.

Applied liberal coatings of silicon spray and WD40 and buffed with an old towel.

Used boom of excavator to lift the right hand track off the trailer floor.
Laboriously turned the tensioner 1/6 turn at a time until enough slack to get the track back on the drive cog.
Re-tensioned the track.
Backed the excavator off the trailer, washed trailer and attachments.
Pressure washed work area.
Beers, dinner, bed.
excavator.JPG
excavator.JPG (75.28 KiB) Viewed 245 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion