1000 Club

Re: Stove or Oven?????

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:20 pm

163692 Three burner cook top.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:30 pm

I’m in the Dutch oven category, as are most if iur teardrop friends. We do know a few with ovens, however. I wouldn’t want to give up the storage space. Don’t miss an oven at all. My Dutch oven will do anything a regular oven will d.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:29 pm

We have 2 dutch ovens. We cook with charcoal there is a formula you follow. Go back to main forum and look at Iron Cooking.

They cook really well. And it is fun to do as well as giving bragging rights for some. They are heavy :NC but worth it. Lots of cleaning.

I know one couple who got into cast iron in a big way and he had to buy a truck to carry them all. If you try it get only one or 2.

I use the white gas stoves and the natural gas Stoves. White gas cheaper but more dangerous. Lots of cleaning.

I also own a oven with stove on top but it is not installed. Never used it. It is going into my other TD build that Steve Boyer started.

I want to try the oven that you put ontop of the stove. They fold down flat and save space.

With oven baking, the stove will probably be hot too.

If you have the space and use a large reusable propane can it might be worth it. The small cans cost and few refill them.

Dutch ovens and solar ovens are safer.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm

I really think it depends on your needs, space and the camping experience you like.
I prefer cooking over a fire. But, weather doesn't always permit. I have a Coleman burner. I also have an electric burner. I have a small toaster oven. I have a dutch oven. I only use these if the weather is bad. The only one I have not used is the toaster oven.
I actually just discovered the omnia. I will be getting that and trying it out. What can I say....I like camping gadgets.
I thought about getting the folding Coleman oven, because its a space saver, but I chose a foldable grill. Not all camp grounds allow wood fires, especially in the desert. And not all campgrounds have electric, so the foldable grill works for me. And the 1lb Propane tanks take up space.

Its just me...we spent a lot of time in a mountain with no electric or power. Camping and cooking over the fire brings back good memories and smells. I put together my own cast iron set and use that. Along with one of my best Christmas presents ever...a 1930's aluminum and wood handled coffee pot.

My advice...do what works for you.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:07 am

Dahlia47 wrote:I thought about getting the folding Coleman oven, because its a space saver, ...

I tried to use one of those on a windy day. I swear the Clabber Girl on the baking powder package was crying! It just wouldn't hold heat to bake, and, even on a good day, it takes half a pound of propane.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion