Talk me out of this trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Talk me out of this trailer

Postby meherenow » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Edit: Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful. I think I will skip this particular trailer (due to the points made about the short tongue length) and am now looking at the Northern Tool ultra-tow trailer. It seems several folks on here have used it successfully for teardrop builds and the reviews are full of people who have done teardrop builds with it. I know there is controversy around using an aluminum frame but a lot of the concerns seem to be with welds breaking over time and this one is bolt together so that should be a non-issue. Also, with this one the axle is already below the springs so no flipping required and I should be able to upgrade wheel size simply by using hubcentric wheel spacers and new fenders.
---------------------

Looking to start a teardrop build on a 5x8 trailer. I've been an rv'er for about 5 years and have a background in DIY so I'm going to give this teardrop thing a whirl. What do you think about this kit?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... ler-504085

I would want to put 15" wheels on it which will require some modification but overall I can't find any compelling reasons why this wouldn't work. It's important that it be capable of interstate speeds as I plan to criss cross the states as many times as my wife will let me :-)

My other option is to have a custom trailer fabricated by a local shop which would likely cost twice as much (or more) and be heavier but with the benefit of being more durable.

On a side note, I am so glad to have found this community and I look forward to contributing to it.

Last edited by meherenow on Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meherenow
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Talk me out of this trailer

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:57 pm

It's a good-looking trailer but the axle will need to be moved back to the 60/40 point on the frame.

It needs to be back there to put the doors where they need to be and to avoid instability while towing.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby meherenow » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:31 pm

Thanks Tony, good tip about the 60/40 split. Any advice on swapping the 12" tires for 15"? I was thinking I could flip the axle and hopefully that would get me there but not sure.

tony.latham wrote:It's a good-looking trailer but the axle will need to be moved back to the 60/40 point on the frame.

It needs to be back there to put the doors where they need to be and to avoid instability while towing.

Tony
meherenow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Onajourney » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:20 pm

That tongue length would definitely need to be lengthened. Looks like it's galvanized. Super tough to weld.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby chopperwalker » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:08 pm

Onajourney wrote:That tongue length would definitely need to be lengthened. Loo

I haven't seen this in person, but it looks like the tongue is bolted on. Perhaps you can buy a longer one instead if needed.
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Thanks Tony, good tip about the 60/40 split. Any advice on swapping the 12" tires for 15"? I was thinking I could flip the axle and hopefully that would get me there but not sure.

I would look at new fenders. So... this trailer may not be the best with the axle needing to be moved back, adding another 12" of tongue length, and the fender issue. But perhaps the axle flip may work. Dunno.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Wheel bearings

Postby noseoil » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am

If you decide to run with this trailer, make sure to carry replacement bearings with you, when you go on the road. A lot of these trailers use import (metric) bearings which aren't necessarily available in a local home town auto-parts store. Since it's a possible weak link, carry some which are in a baggie & already packed with grease. If you need them, they're ready & you won't be stuck.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:31 am

The first thing that catches my eye on that trailer is that the drawbar passes through the front cross member. The front cross member must surely be weaker than a solid piece.
We have a saying here in Oz for designs like that.
"Dumb as duck sh**."
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am

The first thing that catches my eye...

Good catch, Mick!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Toplessartist » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:56 pm

You might consider buying an older single axle boat trailer to do your build. The axle is rearward and the tongue is long by design... plus it can carry a good amount of weight. Just an idea. And they are readily available.
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion