Gold Donating Member

Re: What did you do today

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:
if we stared at too many pictures...

You shouldn't have stared at the weirdo's photos for so damn long. :frightened:

Happy New Year to you and Shelly!

Tony

Happy New Year Tony, to you and Stephanie! And to everyone else on the forum! :wine: :beer: :P

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:05 pm

Yesterday morning, Shelly tried to open the door on our over-range microwave, only to have the handle come off in her hand. My thought was to glue a wood handle on in place. But when we took the door off, the plastic started crumbling. Where's the wisdom in building appliances that go over the range in plastic anyway? Barely lasted 15 years!

171152 171151

So we hustled off to Lowes before they closed for the holiday and got a new one on sale. Today we installed it

But the exciting part is that the old one is just full of useful and dangerous stuff!

Shelly's already using the glass window in the door as a paint pallet. I'm wondering whether there really might be beryllium in the magnatron, or (as seems likely) that's just a interweb myth. :thinking:

Anyway, I tried to discharge the capacitor, but it seems to be that way on its own. But there is a cooling fan, and a squirrel cage oven vent fan, either of which may wind up venting our filament 3D printer. We can use the cord for one of the dozens of under counter lights I got for cheap last Spring. There are a couple of switches. and other doo-dads. And if I ever need really high voltage, I've got that transformer right there. (Folks have made arc-welders out of them.)

Oh, and I understand folks have used the turn-table motor backwards for charging their cell phones by hand. Hmm, seems like a better idea is to use it as a turn-table motor for a spray paint station.

All sorts of good junk! The best toys are the broken ones! 8)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:13 pm

15 is better then two of mine; the third went on a counter.
Have a Transformer from one, decided against using it, (Killed to many people) ;)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:25 pm

A little spit and polish on the new TV. 4500lb tow rating. Lots of bells and whistles.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby pchast » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:49 pm

Congratulations on the new ride!
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:15 pm

I found a "broken" camping fridge for $50. It ran on mains power but not 12v. The fix was ridiculously easy: replace a fuse!
ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby friz » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:25 pm

Nice find!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm

Me? I awoke to -18ºF and fed the beast all day.

Mostly the beast in the tube, not the one on the floor. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:18 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Anyway, I tried to discharge the capacitor, but it seems to be that way on its own. But there is a cooling fan, and a squirrel cage oven vent fan, either of which may wind up venting our filament 3D printer. We can use the cord for one of the dozens of under counter lights I got for cheap last Spring. There are a couple of switches. and other doo-dads. And if I ever need really high voltage, I've got that transformer right there. (Folks have made arc-welders out of them.)

Oh, and I understand folks have used the turn-table motor backwards for charging their cell phones by hand. Hmm, seems like a better idea is to use it as a turn-table motor for a spray paint station.

Tom

These days, most of those big mutha capacitors have a resistor across the terminals so as to auto discharge, I believe.
Mate of mine used the transformer to make a Jacob's ladder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irstvDVSwBQ
I heard, though I haven't checked for myself, that the magnetron has a seriously strong permanent magnet in it.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:40 am

MickinOz wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:

Tom

These days, most of those big mutha capacitors have a resistor across the terminals so as to auto discharge, I believe.
Mate of mine used the transformer to make a Jacob's ladder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irstvDVSwBQ
I heard, though I haven't checked for myself, that the magnetron has a seriously strong permanent magnet in it.

Neat! I think you are right about the magnetron magnets. I've watched videos where folks took some apart. I've got mine stored in the basement right now, and might try using it for radar experiments or something someday. If I ever need the magnets more, I'll take if apart.

After telling Shelly the microwave was our one and only new appliance purchase of the year (not counting the thrift store toaster oven we bought to replace the vintage 1993 one we've been using), my mother-in-law's refrigerator died. I generously offered her our 15 year old one, which I never liked because it is too noisy for our quiet cabin in the woods. So Shelly settled on a new LG, which has a nice quiet linear compressor that some folks say has an inherent flaw. (LG's settlement of a lawsuit includes a 10 year warranty, so what can go wrong?) Salesman said the delivery folks would have no trouble getting it up our driveway, which was a lie. (He was on a role.)

Anyway, after borrowing our friend's Tommy Lift, conveniently attached to their Tundra, we transferred the new refrigerator at the bottom of the driveway, hauled it up, and they put it together. So far so good! Nice and quiet, and it even seems to be the right temperature. This morning, we have the old refrigerator on the Tundra and are preparing to deliver it. In laws (also, in some cases, outlaws, but that's besides the point) plan to meet us there to move it into the kitchen. I'm eagerly anticipating getting at least a power cord, and maybe some good parts from the dead fridge before the day is over.

What can possibly go wrong? :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby MickinOz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:10 pm

edgeau wrote:I found a "broken" camping fridge for $50. It ran on mains power but not 12v. The fix was ridiculously easy: replace a fuse!
ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Score! That's a corker mate. Well done. Its amazing how many people don't know that a lot of fridges have a fuse in the plug.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby chopperwalker » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:51 pm

edgeau wrote:I found a "broken" camping fridge

That's awesome. I got lucky like this last summer. Found a Dometic CF 110 locally for $100. Both temp probes were bad, but $40 and some spray foam rework later and it has been good since.
chopperwalker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:Me? I awoke to -18ºF and fed the beast all day.

Mostly the beast in the tube, not the one on the floor. :shock:

Tony

Whoa! That’s frigid! Your beast looks happy next to the other beast. :)

On the east coast (Philadelphia), we will be down to a low of 1°F on Saturday morning. Looks like you are sending us your arctic air!

In preparation I programmed the battery heater for an extra warming cycle in the middle of the night. Got to keep my LFP battery happy (like above 20°F if I can, and above 38°F to charge).
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:07 pm

Looks like you are sending us your arctic air!

Hopefully, it's warmed up a bit. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion