Propane Tanks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propane Tanks

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:30 pm

I need to know how far away I need to keep my 1lb propane take away from my AC? I would like to attach the tank holder to the tongue, but it would be right in front of my AC. So I need to keep it close enough to attach to the burner inside, but far enough away that we wont get killed in the middle of the night. I do have a carbon monoxide alarm, but I am dont think it detects propane.

Also, i need to know how far away I need to keep the gas generator from the TT?

Yes, I am afraid to be poisoned in my sleep!

Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics. For some odd reason the site wont let me. I have made so many changes and improvements to the TTT. And I have some more in mind. I would like to share them!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane Tanks

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:16 pm

A 1 lb tank? It can go anywhere. Or do you mean an 11-pounder?

Since propane has an odor added, you should be able to tell if there's a leak.

But if you're worried about carbon monoxide, I suggest installing a CO alarm inside the cabin.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:56 pm

Some CO detectors will also do propane.

There are 12V detectors specifically build for RV. eg https://www.amazon.com/MTI-INDUSTRY-Safe-T-Alert-Monoxide-Propane/dp/B09H3BV6NJ/ref=sr_1_10?c=ts&keywords=Gas+Detectors+%26+Alarms&qid=1674946344&s=hi&sr=1-10&ts_id=7491102011 Not an endorsement/just example.

Probably ignore sniffers as they are for a different purpose.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:I need to know how far away I need to keep my 1lb propane take away from my AC? I would like to attach the tank holder to the tongue, but it would be right in front of my AC.

Are you talking about AC as in air conditioning? Most AC units don't bring in air from outside. The outside air is brought into the unit to cool the coils, and then blown back out. Inside air is circulated through the coolers. (That said, on our Climaterite I deliberately bring in warmer outside air because the teardrop cabin is so small the closed circuit caused the unit to freeze up.) But the propane disperses so quickly in the air even that shouldn't be a problem.

Or are you talking about AC as in alternating current; shore power? There is a theoretical danger of a cord sparking around propane and causing a problem. But even a few inches should cause any propane leaks to disperse enough that it isn't a problem. Maybe give it a foot or so for safety.

Always do a sniff test when turning your propane on or off to make sure you don't have any big leaks.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:17 pm

I cant rely on my smell....my nose barely works. Its a curse and a blessing all at once! Luckily I cant smell skunks! Yay!! But I can smell mold and must. Yuck! Cooking meats are very faint. Perfumes I have to put it right up to my nose. Crazy! And I will be checking out the above alarm for that reason. Thank You!

And yes, it is a 1 lb propane tank. Coleman.

The AC unit is a window unit.

Thank You
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:22 am

My nose is about the same. At one point I went into the boss's office & told him I was thinking about a disability for my sense of smell.

Told him I was going to put in for disability insurance from Social Security. Then told him I wanted a disabled hang-tag for handicap parking (that generated a look of scepticism & a bit of a glare). He told me to get back to work, when I mentioned I would get a smelling-nose dog as an assistive pet...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 am

Omg!! That's great!!!!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion