Anyone Connect a Tent or Screen Room to Teardrop?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anyone Connect a Tent or Screen Room to Teardrop?

Postby MarcInBoise » Mon May 29, 2023 2:27 pm

We have a German Shepard we want to start taking camping with us, but he's too big to fit in the cab with my wife and me.
Does anyone have a tent, or one of those mosquito net pop up tents that can connect to the side of a teardrop?

I'd like to prop the door open and have the tent connected to the side, so he's close, has access to us.
I don't think he'd do well, in the forest by himself in the back of the jeep or in a tent alone.
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Anyone Connect a Tent or Screen Room to Teardrop?

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 29, 2023 7:41 pm

A fellow teardropper bought an SUV tent and attached it to the galley. Cosmo Reems (RIP) also attached a tent to his galley. To the side of the teardrop? I don't know but I do think it is possible. There are tents that have a side that can be used as a roof, leaving that side open. You could probably hook one of those to the TD side, pulling that one roof/side over the top of the TD so that there is no upper gap above (think rain) the two units and use magnets or ropes to attach the sides of it to your TD. You would still need to do something with the gap between the ground and the TD body. You might have to make something for that but it wouldn't be too hard to do.

:thinking: Not knowing exactly what the inside of your TD looks like, but guessing, you might be able to add a ledge/shelf above your legs inside for the pooch.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 29, 2023 7:45 pm

Oh! Another idea is to get a large tent that is big enough to push your TD inside it. That might be the easiest.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MarcInBoise » Mon May 29, 2023 9:30 pm

I'm thinking something like this, and taking that front loop and attach it to the side of the teardrop.

MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capebuild » Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Depending on the shape of your trailer, check out the side tent Camp-Inn offers for their trailers.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 10.03.29 PM Medium.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 10.03.29 PM Medium.jpeg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 508 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby MarcInBoise » Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 am

Capebuild wrote:Depending on the shape of your trailer, check out the side tent Camp-Inn offers for their trailers.

That's exactly what I'm after, but unfortunately their website says it's "out of stock".
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 am

I (sometimes) use a 4-person Connect Tent that I bought at Academy Sports in 2013. Here's a link to a thread concerning them: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70565&hilit=+ozark+trail I can't find it on their site, but Walmart has them under their Ozark Trail brand.

I usually camp for 3-4 days, and it always thunderstorms when I do, so I seldom use the floored side-tent, which ends up in a messy state due to the wet ground, but instead, I tuck a pop-up potty tent up under my overhanging canopy; it requires less work to set up or take down, and the open floor allows the rainwater to flow through.

But, if I camp for longer, or at a site with lotsa nearby leaves or brush, I use the Connect Tent, because I can seal it from critter entry (snakes...I had a couple of bad experiences with them, and I take no chances). I never reach into, or under anything outside, or in my (unsealed) garage, either, without using a stick or cane to test the pile first. And always carry a flashlight on me at night.
Ozark Trail Connect Tents listed on Walmart website.JPG
Ozark Trail Connect Tents listed on Walmart website.JPG (80.65 KiB) Viewed 458 times

side tent when new.JPG
side tent when new.JPG (155.43 KiB) Viewed 458 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Wed May 31, 2023 10:14 am

MarcInBoise wrote:
Capebuild wrote:Depending on the shape of your trailer, check out the side tent Camp-Inn offers for their trailers.

That's exactly what I'm after, but unfortunately their website says it's "out of stock".

The tents are here at Camp-Inn now. Just waiting on the new generation of tent poles to arrive. They will be here any day now and the tents will be listed in stock again. If you are OK with using the original style poles we can help you out right away, just shoot us a email.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 31, 2023 7:49 pm

If you buy one of those tents, it may have a lip at the bottom but, if you leave the tent door open, the dog can probably push down the bottom lip of the tent at that door and get out by scooting under the trailer. The solution to this might be to get some inexpensive fencing to put along that side of the trailer. Even the plastic type might work.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MarcInBoise » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 am

Cary Winch wrote:
MarcInBoise wrote:

The tents are here at Camp-Inn now. Just waiting on the new generation of tent poles to arrive. They will be here any day now and the tents will be listed in stock again. If you are OK with using the original style poles we can help you out right away, just shoot us a email.

Cary

Thanks Cary,
I already reached out ;)
Think I'm going to wait for the new poles to come in, and then I'll get one.
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MarcInBoise » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 am

working on it wrote:I (sometimes) use a 4-person Connect Tent that I bought at Academy Sports in 2013. Here's a link to a thread concerning them: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70565&hilit=+ozark+trail I can't find it on their site, but Walmart has them under their Ozark Trail brand.

I usually camp for 3-4 days, and it always thunderstorms when I do, so I seldom use the floored side-tent, which ends up in a messy state due to the wet ground, but instead, I tuck a pop-up potty tent up under my overhanging canopy; it requires less work to set up or take down, and the open floor allows the rainwater to flow through.

But, if I camp for longer, or at a site with lotsa nearby leaves or brush, I use the Connect Tent, because I can seal it from critter entry (snakes...I had a couple of bad experiences with them, and I take no chances). I never reach into, or under anything outside, or in my (unsealed) garage, either, without using a stick or cane to test the pile first. And always carry a flashlight on me at night.
Ozark Trail Connect Tents listed on Walmart website.JPG

side tent when new.JPG

Nice. I have that same pop-up. I think I might try that setup... price is definitely right.
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:35 pm

DO POP UP'S COUNT ????

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MarcInBoise » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:37 pm

bobhenry wrote:DO POP UP'S COUNT ????

Nope! Sorry. Nothing to keep the dog in!
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion