Getting a traditional mattress into a teardrop, can it work?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting a traditional mattress into a teardrop, can it work?

Postby Ghcoupons » Fri May 24, 2024 3:28 pm

What I want to do may not be possible, but I’m determined to try any angle. I’m wanting a REAL mattress and not a foam one or “bed in a Box”. We plan to use this a LOT more in the coming years, not quite full time but well over. 50%. We have a mattress at home that we both love and it really has helped improve our quality of sleep. I want to continue to get good sleep even on the road. It’s a California king and if anyone wants to know the brand, please let me know and I’ll share. I’m not affiliated with the company in any way, just love the mattress.

In my head I’m thinking I need to wrap this thing in ratchet straps and just cram it in the door and I know what you’re thinking, “it’ll never work”. You may be right but surely I’m not the first person to attempt the impossible. lol. It’s only gotta work once. Anyone have any advice, experience doing this, seen a guy try and laughed? Any assistance with this plan is appreciated.
Ghcoupons
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Getting a traditional mattress into a teardrop, can it w

Postby steve cowan » Fri May 24, 2024 4:09 pm

Built my teardrop with a removable panel in lower part of galley wall to install/remove mattress.Used an 8 inch spa sensations mattress and it was very
comfortable even though it's made of foam.I guess to get a "real" mattress in would depend on the mattress versus size of door.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri May 24, 2024 4:56 pm

That's a very larger mattress, most old school mattresses have spring coils in them, if you wrap it up tight enough to actually get it in (assuming you have a huge door) it will probably never be comfy again. That's my thought but if you are willing to risk destroying the mattress then maybe 4 or 5 fellas and 8 straps might get it tight enough to push in the door.

We sleep super well on our 4" foam mattress but I hear ya' about time of use. One of the lower model Sleep Number beds might do the trick for you? We've had one in the house for over 20 years and love that thing. Goes from pillow soft to ultra firm and anywhere in between and of course can adjust at any time as desired. (no affiliation just offering a potential option for something that you can certainly get in the camper.) They are also light compared to a "regular" or even memory foam mattress which is a bonus from a camper weight POV.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 24, 2024 5:16 pm

I’m wanting a REAL mattress and not a foam one or “bed in a Box”.

Our mattress is 5" of medium-density foam with 3" of memory foam bonded to it. It's as good of a mattress as I will ever sleep on. Every bit as good as the fine mattress in our bedroom.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Tony :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby foxontherun » Fri May 24, 2024 5:40 pm

Good afternoon,
philpom wrote:.... most old school mattresses have spring coils in them, if you wrap it up tight enough to actually get it in (assuming you have a huge door) it will probably never be comfy again. That's my thought but if you are willing to risk destroying the mattress then maybe 4 or 5 fellas and 8 straps might get it tight enough to push in the door.

I second Phil, you would likely destroy your mattress if it has coil springs in it. If you are not willing to risk it, don't. Many years ago I worked for Simmons Beautyrest Mattress putting the insides of the mattress together (individual coils wrapped in fabric). Those beds would never be the same if you tried to fold them; there is a reason they are shipped like they are. Trust me, if they could roll them up into a box they would.

I don't work for them but I would highly recommend checking out Brooklyn Bedding (https://brooklynbedding.com/products/brooklyn-chill). They have a good selection of sizes (when you click on the size keep scrolling down past the normal bed sizes and you will get to a list of the oddball sizes you can get. We have bought two and they are very comfy. We ordered 6" thick and it is plenty firm. The thicker you go the softer they get is what I understand on the model in the link above.

Best wishes,
Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri May 24, 2024 8:59 pm

Ghcoupons wrote:It’s only gotta work once.

I wouldn't count on that. We managed to get water in the compartment driving in a violent rain storm in Oklahoma a few years ago. Had to get the matteress out enough to dry the bottom. Then, later to remove some mold.

As others have said, I don't think cramming a California King into a smaller space is an idea calculated to make the mattress comfortable.

Tom
173582 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Ghcoupons » Sat May 25, 2024 3:46 pm

Thanks for everyone’s replies. After I posted this I found a few other options, mainly to use two twin beds and together they make a king. I’m pretty sure a twin can easily fit into a teardrop door and be easier to manage. They have what’s called a “bed bridge” on Amazon from various companies. It eliminates the gap between the two beds to make it feel larger. I think that’s the direction I can go. I’ll test it out with my son’s mattress before buying anything to see if it’ll work. Thanks for everyone’s replies!
Ghcoupons
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Sun May 26, 2024 10:15 am

Ghcoupons wrote:Thanks for everyone’s replies. After I posted this I found a few other options, mainly to use two twin beds and together they make a king. I’m pretty sure a twin can easily fit into a teardrop door and be easier to manage. They have what’s called a “bed bridge” on Amazon from various companies. It eliminates the gap between the two beds to make it feel larger. I think that’s the direction I can go. I’ll test it out with my son’s mattress before buying anything to see if it’ll work. Thanks for everyone’s replies!

Do you already have the teardrop or you are designing and building a new large teardrop that will fit this size mattress?
If you have a new build then you have design options to make the mattress removable.
You can make kitchen lower cabinets removable, for example. Imagination is the only limit.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue May 28, 2024 9:19 pm

I have always felt the same way. Funny all the replies since this has been discussed here many times and the answer I got right here ten hears ago was to fold it like a taco and it has worked just fine for me, I didn't "destroy" any of them in either of them. That works and you just have to get tough with it, I even pulled it out,, once... :lol: That being said, it you don't want to bust your behind, I have been using the Zinus 8" mattresses in a box from Wal Mart for years and they are great, they actually are carrying a second brand of mattress in a box that has inner springs too but they are more expensive. Yes in a box.Might be worth a try
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Modstock » Tue May 28, 2024 9:45 pm

The only bad thing about the mattress in a box is it adds alot of weight.
Our teardrop I did this, loved the mattress but the tongue was more heavy.
Where I work I can get any foam. So our cargo conversion I ordered a 3" queen size piece of foam that was lighter but a tad firmer since we would be crawling over it.
I have the foam firmness number in my build thread.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion