Trailer hitch extender bars

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Trailer hitch extender bars

Postby davidreidok » Sun May 26, 2024 2:50 pm

I freely admit that backing my little guy 5 wide tear drop into tight spaces is a task that is very difficult for me to do.

I read some where that trailer extenders can make that chore much easier.

I see trailer dot com has a 48 inch extender bar.

Has any one used one of these bars?

If yes, did it make backing your trailer much easier ?

Finally, is it worth the effort to do the install ?
davidreidok
Teardrop Builder

Re: Trailer hitch extender bars

Postby mary and bob » Sun May 26, 2024 3:13 pm

Not sure what you mean by an extender, does it increase the length of the trailer tongue, or does it go in the vehicle receiver to move the ball farther away. Any extender in the vehicle receiver will reduce the capacity of that receiver due to leverage. Many of that type extender are marked as doing so. Lengthening the trailer tongue may reduce tongue weight. Short trailers are difficult to back up, you have to make minor changes in direction, and take your time. Practice and time should make it easier.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby davidreidok » Tue May 28, 2024 9:24 am

I understand the extender will increase the length of the trailer tongue by up to 48 inches

Here is a link for one version on etrailer dot com

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Fabricat ... 49360.html
davidreidok
Teardrop Builder

Postby mary and bob » Tue May 28, 2024 6:26 pm

The item in your link is not an extender, it is a receiver bar to be used to fabricate a custom hitch. As I previously stated, an actual extender that goes in the tow vehicle receiver will decrease the capacity of that receiver due to the leverage effect. Watch the video and read the questions and answers to understand what that part actually is. I'm not sure, but when I was looking through etrailer, I may have seen a trailer tongue extender but it may be for a trailer kit that they sell, so intended specifically for that trailer. If you need a longer tongue on your trailer, have a welding shop fabricate it for you. I built a longer tongue on one of my small utility trailers so that I could carry two bikes on the front.
mary and bob
500 Club

Return to General Discussion