LED Lantern?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

LED Lantern?

Postby SteveH » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Got a discount catalog in the mail today and in it is an interesting looking LED lantern. Has 30 LED's and runs on 4 "D" size batteries for $40, and I need a lantern. Just wondering if it will put out enough light? Anyone have any experience with them? :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby purplepickup » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:02 pm

I've have a 30 LED lantern that I got to use at my cabin where the only power is DC. The light isn't as bright as I wanted. I read this article http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html that discusses different kinds of light sources and shows lumens/watt ratings, the real measure of light output. I tried 7 watt screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs and I couldn't believe how much light they put out for the amount of energy used. Low watt tube type fluorescents are good too. I have some LED fixtures too and they don't even come close.

LED is great for flashlights tho. My favorite only has one LED and it's very bright and throws a good beam for a long ways. I've used it for over a year and leave it on a LOT and it's still just as bright as when I got it. There's differences in types of LED's and if you get the right kind they do put out a lot of light. It's just a softer light.

My favorite lantern is a Craftsman 19.2 volt fluorescent worklight that uses the same rechargeable batteries my cordless tools. It lasts a long time and puts out a lot of light.

Here's a picture where the only light is a 7 watt fluorescent over the table and one over the sink. LED's don't give out that much light. and it's more direct. The flashlight I was talking about is on the table. It only cost $7 at Menards.

George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby BufordT » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:31 am

Good of a place as any.

George wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your website with the cabin build. Really like the cabin. Planning on building one myself next year and going to do pretty much the same. Run it off of 12 volts and propane. I'll be checking back to your web site for info. Thanks

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby purplepickup » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:51 am

BufordT wrote:Good of a place as any.

George wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your website with the cabin build. Really like the cabin. Planning on building one myself next year and going to do pretty much the same. Run it off of 12 volts and propane. I'll be checking back to your web site for info. Thanks

Bufordt :twisted:

Thank you Buford. Unfortuately I don't keep up with the website much. The only build pictures I have are some terrible quality 25 year old polaroids. I need to rescan them on a better scanner and try to restore them better. Building the cabin was probably the most fulfilling thing I've ever done.

Sorry for getting off track here Steve. I hope to hear more about other people's experience with LED lanterns. Mine is a Guide Gear and it just doesn't put out enough light and the light is bluish....not real easy to see with and not enough to easily read by.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:03 am

I bought an LED Lantern the other day for testing purposes. I agree with George, it doesn't throw out enough light... :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks everyone...that's what I wanted to know.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion