Next Tear Cllub:

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Next Tear Cllub:

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:52 am

Sign me up for the next tear club.

This is the one I'll be building from the ground up with the chassis that I have posted already. Anyone out there in the teardrop world used these plans?

Contemporary (Modern Originals):

Quick 'n' Easy
An original design from W.A. Harper, aptly named, basic and simple in its 4'x8' size. Ten pages of illustrated, easy-to-follow instructions include an added bonus page on how to boot a 12'x6' dome tent to the side of the trailer for expanded livability. Contact WA. Harper, P.O. Box 491871, Redding, CA 96049 $19.95

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: Next Tear Cllub:

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:59 am

Hey Buford,

You're signed up. Hmmmm I wonder if anyone is tracking these names?

So did you get the plans for the quick and easy? What I want to know is, is it really quick and easy? Or is it as much work as the first one we already built? What makes Harper's easier?

The profile is very classic. Shouldn't have a problem bending plywood around that profile. And I do like the paint job, although I think I would reverse the dark and light colors.

So tell me more about the Q&E! :D

Mike...

BufordT wrote:Sign me up for the next tear club.

This is the one I'll be building from the ground up with the chassis that I have posted already. Anyone out there in the teardrop world used these plans?

Contemporary (Modern Originals):

Quick 'n' Easy
An original design from W.A. Harper, aptly named, basic and simple in its 4'x8' size. Ten pages of illustrated, easy-to-follow instructions include an added bonus page on how to boot a 12'x6' dome tent to the side of the trailer for expanded livability. Contact WA. Harper, P.O. Box 491871, Redding, CA 96049 $19.95

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:17 am

Not much to tell really Mike. You could use the same technique on any tear really. Start with the Chassis as I've posted. Cut the sides the shape you want for a 4x8. Screw the sides to the 1 1/2" square wood. Use glue of some type. Cut 4 cross braces. Brace them every 4 ft. Us 1/8 over the top and cover with FRP. Tear is done. Hatch is made with electrical conduit. Bent to shape. The whole tear can't weight much more than 550 to 600 lbs. if that.

Simple Quick and easy. After chassis is built I would think that the whole thing would go together in a weekend.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jabber » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:58 pm

Buford,
I am getting ready to build my first Tear and liked the idea of using FRP for the skin. Problem is I dont know where to find it. Any help/ideas? :?:
Tired of Tenting
Jabber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 am

Jabber wrote:Buford,
I am getting ready to build my first Tear and liked the idea of using FRP for the skin. Problem is I dont know where to find it. Any help/ideas? :?:

Try Home Depot or Lowes. You can find it back in the panel section.
It's the white bathroom panels.

You will have to paint it. And I've found out the hard way that the best stuff to use to glue it down with is the frp glue from liquid nail. Comes in a gallon.

Had mine on for about 8 months so far and no problem. Taken it on two trips and no chips or dents. The al. I used to cover the corners has dents and chips in it already.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jabber » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:02 am

Thanks for the help and the lessons learned. I think I am going to start construction in the next week and this was my big hold up.
Tired of Tenting
Jabber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MikeM » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:30 am

Jabber,

You can check with your local RV dealer that does repairs. They will have it in rolls. Probably heavier duty also.

Mike
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:35 am

The FRP that you buy at the RV dealer is called Filon. It's expensive, but it's nice stuff. It has UV inhibitors in it so painting is not necessary.

http://www.kemlite.com/filon_frp/filon_frp_index.cfm

I had planned on using Filon until I went to order it. It cost more than my first teardrop complete, with all accessories did. :shock:

At that point I might have covered it in 5x10 aluminum but when I found the marine epoxy based paint I knew that was the way to go for me!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jabber » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:11 pm

Mike,
Can you tell me more about the epoxy paint? Where did you get it and an average cost? Did you paint directly onto the exterior wood wall or did you skin the wood with something and than paint that? The help/info is greatly appriciated.

Jabber
Tired of Tenting
Jabber
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion