Outside Table Hardware

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Outside Table Hardware

Postby SteveH » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 am

Where can I get the hardware used to attach a small one legged table to the outside of a teardrop?

Thanks,
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:59 am

Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby exminnesotaboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:43 am

I picked up this one - not far enough along in my build to mount and test it, but it looks like it would work fine(and cheap!):

linky, linky
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:47 am

exminnesotaboy wrote:I picked up this one - not far enough along in my build to mount and test it, but it looks like it would work fine(and cheap!)
And you can't dislodge the table by knocking it upwards, as you can with the Sailor Sam's type. Not a problem for an outside table perhaps, but definitely a possibility if your knees are wedged under a dining table.
Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:11 am

exminnesotaboy wrote:I picked up this one - not far enough along in my build to mount and test it, but it looks like it would work fine(and cheap!):

linky, linky

I like this style much better! Is it aluminum?
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Woody » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:38 am

I use the ones like in the Sailorsam's post. They work fine. The only problem I encountered was they are open in the back (female part). So you might want to use a backer plate when mounting, so not to scratch the sides of the trailer when installing ( male part) attached to the table top I have used and removed the table countless times with no problem. I would recomend designing your table leg to be adjustable for height. I used a spare telescoping pool brush pole I had laying around and cut it to the length I needed. Works great.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:57 am

TonyCooper wrote:I like this style much better! Is it aluminum?

I am about 90% positive it was aluminum - I will check it again when I get home tonight. I will post back and advise if it isn't aluminum

one note: when received, I noticed the design was not exactly like the picture - the bottom of the wall mount stuck out from the wall a good .75" - not .25" like the picture gives the impression of. It was enough for me to plan on rounding off that corner with my dremel when mounting so I don't catch something on it

EDIT: it is aluminum and it sticks out 1" from the wall - in looking at it, I could easily cut off .5" of it and not impact it structurally - I am a bit puzzled why they left so much extra on it
Last edited by exminnesotaboy on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info eveyone....now, as usual, I have to make a decision about which one to get. :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm a beginner, but is there a reason that "pull-out" hinges wouldn't work ??

ImageOr

re. table brackets.......These appear the same as S.S., but $11.99 set vs. 15.99.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311444|309358&id=63843
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

A little too much stress

Postby Guy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:33 pm

Dear Kurt,

The hinges you ae showing are for a removable door or such. They are not designed for a loading of a table, dishes, and hefty elbows. Additionally they only have two screws which are offset to the stresses that will be imposed upon them. In order to gerryrig those hinges to work for a removable table you would have to anchor the screws very deep and well inside the frame, probably two inches. Since most teardrop side do not have the depth to allow that deep sset a screw or bolt you probably would have to use two legs to support the outside of the table. That would defeat the one legged approach and add to the weight of the tear by a leg. Adding unnecessarily to the weight of a tear is tantamount to a mortal sin :(
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:34 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:I picked up this one - not far enough along in my build to mount and test it, but it looks like it would work fine(and cheap!):

linky, linky

I used one like this on a bus conversion I did a few years back, and it worked out fine. The one I got was aluminum. I bought it at the local RV dealer, it is a common item that you should be able to get from your local RV shop.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

I got the one Tony hs

Postby anonymous2 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:11 pm

Hello all,

I have the one Tony has the link for. It cost me $3.97 at a local RV dealer. I sent it to Camp Inn and they put it on my tear for me. It works great. I used a cut out of our new kitchen counter when the sink was installed. It measures 20" X 30" we use it for the cooler to sit on.Here is a picture link.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/204 ... 5318cgZgRm

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby San Diegan » Mon May 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Unfortunately, the "linky, linky" link has become stale. Anyone have an up-to-date link? The sailor sam product looks nice, but I would feel compelled to put a backing behind it, as mentioned above. Also I would prefer to mount aluminum to aluminum.

While we are at it, any sources for a telescoping leg? I would like to make it removeable from the underside of the table and adjustable in height.

Thanks for your help,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 02, 2005 11:36 pm

San Diegan wrote:
While we are at it, any sources for a telescoping leg? I would like to make it removeable from the underside of the table and adjustable in height.

I don't know if its any good but here's one:
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/table-hardware.html
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby San Diegan » Tue May 03, 2005 12:01 am

Bruce,

That just might do it. And the site is going in my bookmarks for any number of other cool things I found there.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion