Cubby Builders

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cubby Builders

Postby toypusher » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:03 pm

I am building (will start mid to end of March) Cubby and was wondering if any and all (preferrably all) the folks out there that have built one or are in the process of building a Cubby would comment on the experience and what there is to really watch out for. I am pretty good as a woodworker and generally mechanically inclined. So, I don't forsee any major problems, but like to be forwarned. Also would like everyone's ideas on any modifications that they made or wish they had made.

Thanks in advance for any and all inputs!

Can hardly wait to get started. :twisted:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:57 pm

Kerry,
Congrats on your future Cubby. I still remember the excitement we first felt on starting ours. (Though I wouldn't quite call it "excitement" by the time we finished it, 6 months later)
Thoughts:
My BIGGEST regret is not making it 5' wide. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought a 5' wide trailer and built it on that.
Regret it, Regret it! Try measuring out a 4' space, with walls on either side and decide for yourself if it works for you. (Maybe you're a whole lot skinner than me... or single)
It's ok.. we can live with it... but "living" with it after spending 6 months working on it is...uh..yeah.... A BIG BUMMER!!

Overhead cabinets... great for storing things...not so great the first few times you whack your head on it. I use ours alot so I don't regret them...but think about it.

Leave the galley hinge 4' wide...(or 5' on a 5' trailer)...even if during building it doesn't look like it's right?

Make your galley shelf deep enough WITH THE HATCH CLOSED to fit what you need.

Those are the things that come first to mind!

Bev
Last edited by beverlyt on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby TomS » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:02 pm

I assume you're using the Kuffel Creek plans. They're great plans, the best available - IMHO. However, others and I have noticed some minor inconsistancies. Check out this thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2149

Scroll down to see the specifics.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Cubby build

Postby toypusher » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:18 pm

Bev

Thanks first and foremost for sharing! I am kind of locked into the 4' size for this one. I hope to use it for a year or so and build another (probably the Comet 5'x10'. I don't recall seeing a picture of you, but I am 5'10" and go about 210 on a good day :oops: . The wife is a bit smaller though and we sure hope it works out! I don't want to have to sell my first tear :cry: Anyway, I digress. I am considering making the lower galley storage on slides to pull out even with the back or even a few inches more. My wife says that she can not stand to lean over when cooking (although, I think that I will probably do most of the cooking when we are camping) :lol: I don't see the overheads being a problem either because out bedroom is a converted attic and it has slanted ceiling that will make you learn to keep your head down around the bed.

TomS,

I am using the Kuffle Creek plans. Everything that I have seen has pointed to them as the best. I have read the thread that you gave me link to and will take heed. I am just trying to cover all my bases and hopefully will be able to plan ahead for any potential trouble spots. If you have any suggested modifications, please let me know. Thanks again :applause:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:27 pm

I'm in the early stages of construction. However, I did put a progress page together this weekend which lists the major modifications I plan to make to the cubby plans. You'll find the URL below in my sig.

What is preventing you from going 5' wide on this build? If its' because you don't want to weld a trailer frame, I have located a source for 5 x 8 bolt-together trailers. You'll find a link on my progress page.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:34 pm

Kerry,
Ahh... well, 4' is ok.. and we plan on keeping ours forever...guess I just like to bitch. If it's not an option to go wider, it'll still work.

Bob doesn't mind the 4' wide... course he sleeps like a the vampire Dracula and doesn't move at all during sleep. (this said as I place my hand over his nose to be sure he's breathing)

I on the other hand can't stay still so I notice it more.

Signed..
"I will not roll..I will not twist... I will not turn over 15 times...I will not..I will not...
beverlyt
500 Club

Cubby build

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:31 am

Tom,

I am locked in due the fact that I already have the Harbor Frieght 1175 trailer and have made the modifications per Kevin's plans. And to a lesser degree, I don't want to have to make too many changes to the plans the first time I try to build one of these.

Bev,

I am a 'thrasher' and hope that I will just sleep better when away from work :thumbdown: and other 'bothersome' things in life. Fresh air and relaxation should do the trick. :thumbsup:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby BILLYL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:33 am

Kerry-

I am right at the beginning of the build. So far - as mentioned earlier you will find some minor problems with the CUBBY plans - like how lobg to make the wood frame deck so you can cut the 14degree angle and still end up with the required length. I have found Kevin to be very responsive to my questions.

So far the HF frame I am using is going together with no real problems (except for the ones I make) and I really don't expect any big ones. My only issue now is finding a local supplier for the sheet metal. A friend suggested a ROOFING Supplier - so I'll call around.

If it wasn't for all this rain I would be making more progress.

Keep us posted

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Cubby Build

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:40 am

Bill,

I see that you are from the DC area, puts just 1 and 1/2 to 2 hrs from me. Anyway, you may want to check with metal fabrication shops or custom auto shops (Hot Rod shops, etc). I'm sure that there are lots of places to get the sheet aluminum in your area. Some speciality wood suppliers can even get the metal you need. Let me know when you have some pics to see.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby BILLYL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:36 am

Where in PA are you? I am in the Gaithersburg MD area - about 1.5hr to Gettysburg.

I think I'll have to go north - more around Frederick to find anything.

And one day I will by a digital camera........... 8)

BILL
BILLYL
Donating Member

Sheet Metal (Aluminum)

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:03 am

Just thought I'd let you guys know of my experiences trying to find aluminum here. I found sheet aluminum available at metal supply places (check the phone book under metal), plastic supply places (they use it in sign manufacturing), and big trailer repair places (18 wheelers). I found 4' X 8' almost everywhere I looked, but I needed 5'X10' and could only get it at the metal supply place, and then only one out of the three here had it.

Good luck with your projects. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:17 am

Billyl,

I am in York. Maybe we can get together sometime and compare notes.

Kerry

Thanks Steve
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby BILLYL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:58 am

Sounds like a plan - I know I am going to need help with skinning this thing.

BILL
BILLYL
Donating Member

Re: Sheet Metal (Aluminum)

Postby TomS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:12 pm

SteveH wrote:Just thought I'd let you guys know of my experiences trying to find aluminum here. I found sheet aluminum available at metal supply places (check the phone book under metal), plastic supply places (they use it in sign manufacturing), and big trailer repair places (18 wheelers). I found 4' X 8' almost everywhere I looked, but I needed 5'X10' and could only get it at the metal supply place, and then only one out of the three here had it.

I plan to fiberglass my Cubby. I'm thinking about doing a two-tone paint job for real retro look.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:15 pm

Tom,

I researched and considered using Filon, but because of the sizes of pieces I needed, there was going to be so much waste that the cost was too high.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion