Anybody doing any Prepping??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anybody doing any Prepping??

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Me and my wife have started watching some of the channels Like National Geographic channel and Discovery and have watched some of theprepping shows and the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Not the extreme like some of the people on the shows have done but just a lil small stuff like buying a few more cans of can goods when we go shopping, bought more coleman fuel for the camp stoves, more propane and stocking up on other items but the wife says thats just me buying more toys :R, I can't help it if I like guns geez. I was wondering if anyone else is doing any??

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Anybody doing any Prepping??

Postby jeff0520 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 pm

We have, in an undisclosed location, enough food and water to carry us 6 months or so. It's a reasonable precaution. Not going crazy about it, but we'll keep on eating through almost any kind of famine or shortage. The Command Post is another part of our preps. We live in an inner city neighborhood. If something nasty happens, the plan is to hitch up to the camper, stop and pick up our stored food on the way out of town, and wait it out in the woods :)
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby stumphugger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I have for many years because I seem to live in places that get cut off by landslides and floods. I don't stockpile ammo because our community seems to come together during such disasters, and we know who the local bad guys are--we're cut off so the unlocals can't get in unless they wade or swim. The only looting I heard of was that somebody stole the moosehead out of the destroyed by a mudlide tavern a few years back.

I already live in the woods. :)

I just have canned stuff. Should the power go off, and it does, I have my wood stove for heat and camping stuff. I'm on a well so the hot tub is a reserve of flushing water. It is usually raining cats and dogs during these times so if I ran out of drinking water, which I have stored, I can catch rainwater or go to the creek and then boil that water.

I'm not a believer that the whole country is going to go berzerk, rather that our area is prone to natural disasters. We're in the season when the floods occur, along with winds. Then we have the Big One to worry about and there's the volcanoes. I live in the center if you draw lines between 3 major volcanoes--we're surrounded. So, it is a good thing to have a few cans of stuff to eat around, along with camping stuff. I also have some long lasting cans of mixed gas for the chainsaws.

During one time, I didn't fill up with gas, and it ran out quickly. I got around on my bicycle just fine. Just as important as "prepping", one needs to be in decent shape so you can walk or ride bikes. You don't need gas for those.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Naw,,, but I have a cousin who us, I'll just go visit her.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am

Some of them people on those shows are a bit extreme to say the least lol.. But yeah I completely agree with keeping a decent amount of supplies.. We had a very bad series of tornados a couple years in our area.. Bad enough it knocked out the power in a very large area for almost a week.. People have NO idea how easy it is for stuff to go way down hill very quick. Here for example.. There was no phones, No cell phones, No gas, and not stores open to buy food.. The area with out power was so large that people trying to drive to get gas were running out sitting in line at the stations closest. Plenty of people were scrambling just to get food since they had nothing in the pantry and there was no where to buy food. Us on the other hand had food, gas, propane, generator,chainsaw, you name it.. I keep 15 gallons of unleaded, 5 gallons of diesel and 5-10 gallons of k-1 Pretty much always. I also have four 20 pound LP bottles and three 100 pound bottles.. Not to mention a 280 gallon LP tank out behind my shop sitting on 80% that isn't connected to anything. Also have oil lamps, candles, ect. I also try to keep a fair amount of can goods, Pasta, stuff that has a long shelf life. I've been meaning to pick up a bucket or two of that emergency food that has a shelf life of 20 years to put up just so I know we always have a fair amount of food.
My cargo conversion is also a very nice fully self contained Home away from home.. With everything from solar to a gas stove and water heater. We also keep food water ect in it all the time.. So for example if we had to Bug out as the call it we can hook up toss a few extra Lp bottles in along with some other supplies and go where ever and live pretty well for a while. I didn't build it for that, but the reason for making it fully self contained and the solar setup was partly for that reason..
LoL I also have more then a few guns and I don't even now how much ammo.. I'm sure its well over 4-5k rounds.. There again thats not really because of prepping. I like to shoot and try to keep atleast a few hundred rounds in each caliber.. I also reload ammo so I tend to stock up because I can shoot it quicker then I can make it.
lol ya know now that I typed all that out I guess I might be a full blown prepper after all.. Oh well. Everything I have is stuff I use or will use. I might just keep a little extra for that just in case you need it. I think having a reserve of atleast basic supplies is just good common since...
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 am

Oh yeah we also live out in the country, so we have a creek and a couple of quarter horses to get around if the gas ran out.. Course not sure we would really want or need to go to town if there was a natural disaster. We would probably stay right here till things got better.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 am

Just got through Hurricane Sandi and realized we already were prepared for at least a month long disaster.

Had plenty of canned goods, water, fuel, stoves, lights a back up sanitary system and a way and a place to evacuate to. With little or no prepping.

All I really did was buy another tank of propane.

A little more preparation and I could easily extend the stores to 6 months.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:46 am

I watched a number of 'prepper' shows and came to the conclusion that most were truly bug nuts crazy and they were preparing for only one specific disaster to the exclusion of any other potential and perhaps more likely scenario. The main reason I was looking was for some ideas for boondocking. It was a fruitless effort to watch as few had a clue.
Compass Rose would be a a good way to survive most short term disasters, solar, diesel heater, Waeco refrigerator, 25# of propane and the two 20# tanks I keep at home, water filters where I can pull water from lakes and streams.
One other thought, if it gets as bad as some think, I don't know that I would want to survive.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby stumphugger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 am

biziedizie wrote:The prepping I do is the same each month. I spend $75.00 each and every month on canned food and donate it to the local food bank as there's people that need it more then me.

Thanks for the reminder. Ours is having a big food drive next weekend. :thumbsup: The Preppie thing is good for our local economy.
There is an ammo factory up the highway, and they are hiring more folks.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby CARS » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:59 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:One other thought, if it gets as bad as some think, I don't know that I would want to survive.

Ya, I'm with you. I could probably handle no power for a couple months, but any more than that people are going to start doing unthinkable things to each other. Lord knows my kids would freak out within a few hours without electricity... If the disaster doesn't get them, their parents just might!
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

other than the normal couple of months of food and full gas cans for the generator, I plan on trusting God for the rest...
if you want a real gun for protection better get it now, the brady wackos already have their list of bad guns out and it looks like my rim fire 22's are the only thing legal on it.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 am

:thinking: Isn't a bad thing to be prepared,is it? :thumbsup:

Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:55 am

We're half way there as we have most of the equipment we need to get ready for the end of the Mayan Calendar in December.

:lol:
Seriously though I have to agree with SC; I wonder how many hard core preppers could actually boondock for an extended time? I've been practicing for years and I'm still tweaking our approach.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby stumphugger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 pm

sagebrush wrote::thinking: Isn't a bad thing to be prepared,is it? :thumbsup:

Will

It just worries me that we have become a "we won't share" type of society. Not this forum, but on another one, many seem to be looking forward to the chance to have a civil or I should think, and uncivil war! There's something wrong with that. I'd like to ship them all off to a deserted island so they can get their kicks without harming us pacifistical people.

You should be prepared reasonably. I refuse to spend all my money on guns and ammo for something that should never happen. I guess it is folks who are so fearful, that they have bunkers and stockpiles of ammo. What happens to old caches of ammo?

Like I said, I am prepared in case my area gets cut off by a natural disaster, which does happen every few years here. I don't get the guns out, I take in friends who can't get to their houses, and I have fed neighbors who had moved here recently and didn't know that floods and slides happen.

The great thing was that the friend who was marooned at my house, went out and started helping a woman move her horses to higher ground. That's part of civilized survival.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:22 pm

It seems the more populated a area is the more looting happens during a disaster.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion