What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:00 am

Bought a new set of flares for the boat(s).
I also recently exchanged one of my many Christmas/Birthday vouchers for one of these 14 gallon water resistant duffel bags.
EJM-670402.jpg
EJM-670402.jpg (298.9 KiB) Viewed 476 times

It now contains:
Starter rope with toggle.
GPS
EPIRB
Tool kit
First aid kit
Flares
2 inflatable life jackets
1 floating waterproof torch.

I decided the easiest way to ensure my safety gear was up to date was to have one grab bag to transfer from one boat to the other.
As long as I remember to do that before leaving home, I shouldn't get sent home by the Marine Safety lads too often.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:55 am

There's a little tradition in Ozzie small towns town called "Chucking A Mainy".
Essentially, citizens with time on their hands get in their cars and indulge in a sort of automotive promenade up and down the main drag.
Several laps of the course must be done for it to count as a proper "mainy".
If you've got a nice old muscle car, or a smokin' new muscle car, all the better.

This tradition is a full-on promenade on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights here in my home town, but can be useful for clearing a hungover head any day of the week.
You "chuck a u-y" (do a u-turn) at the end of the median strip by the Post office, cruise down the main drag past the wheat silos and the wharf on your left, Maccas (Mickey D's ?), Subway, Dominos and the police station on your right, past the boat ramp car park, the Angler's Club and the boat dealer, until you come to the roundabout at the other end.
This is where you do another u-y (of questionable legality) and proceed back the other way, giving the courthouse and cop-shop a wave (AKA the two-finger salute) on the way past. Until you get just past the post office and chuck another u-y and do it all again.

Anyway, today I was chuckin a mainy with my son, whose head required a little clearing, I spotted not one but two teardrops parked up across the road from Maccas.
One was clearly DIY, the other a commercial outfit.
They are becoming mainstream here.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:18 pm

MickinOz wrote:Bought a new set of flares for the boat(s).
I also recently exchanged one of my many Christmas/Birthday vouchers for one of these 14 gallon water resistant duffel bags.
EJM-670402.jpg

It now contains:
Starter rope with toggle.
GPS
EPIRB
Tool kit
First aid kit
Flares
2 inflatable life jackets
1 floating waterproof torch.

I decided the easiest way to ensure my safety gear was up to date was to have one grab bag to transfer from one boat to the other.
As long as I remember to do that before leaving home, I shouldn't get sent home by the Marine Safety lads too often.

Say Mick, is that the photo you intended to post? I'm seeing an older couple. As it happens the photo was used by someone who recently got thrown off of the forum. Anyway, not a duffel bag (Unless that's some sort of Aussie slang--but that doesn't seem to make sense in context!)

Tom :thinking:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:31 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Say Mick, is that the photo you intended to post? I'm seeing an older couple.

Weird, I see a red duffel?
Brucee
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:06 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Say Mick, is that the photo you intended to post? I'm seeing an older couple. As it happens the photo was used by someone who recently got thrown off of the forum. Anyway, not a duffel bag (Unless that's some sort of Aussie slang--but that doesn't seem to make sense in context!)

I dunno Tom. I posted a picture of a red duffel bag. If I look when not logged in, that is what I see.
Here's the link to the item on bargain boat bits.
I liked it because it's made from super heavy duty reinforced PVC material, and the actual bottom of the bag is moulded one piece. You could put in an inch or so of water and none would enter.
https://www.bargainboatbits.com.au/heav ... le-bag-red
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:12 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:As it happens the photo was used by someone who recently got thrown off of the forum.

Wait, what do ya mean someone got thrown off the forum?
Hard to believe. :shock:

I mean, this is by far the most civilised forum I've ever had anything to do with.
I'm shocked and disappointed that
a) there was drama, :shock:
b) I missed it. :cry:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:27 pm

MickinOz wrote:b) I missed it. :cry:
NO
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:31 pm

MickinOz wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:As it happens the photo was used by someone who recently got thrown off of the forum.

Wait, what do ya mean someone got thrown off the forum?
Hard to believe. :shock:

I mean, this is by far the most civilised forum I've ever had anything to do with.
I'm shocked and disappointed that
a) there was drama, :shock:
b) I missed it. :cry:

Wow! I just looked on my other computer, and it is...a red duffle.

But on this one, the picture remains the only g rated picture (I've seen) of the couple. (The other several pictures are--probably--what got them thrown off.)

Unless I imagined the whole thing. :oops: But, I'm not imagining this picture...

Either I'm crazy, or the internet is!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:47 pm

Ok, working hypothesis--I'm not real sure how this forum saves or calls up JPEGs.

When I went on TNTTT the other day, person X (no longer with us) posted this, and the other jpegs, and the program assigned each a number. When the person was tossed, the program itself went back and reused the numbers. My computer's cache didn't get the word, and saved the pictures so I wouldn't have to download them the next time I was on TNTTT. If so, the next time someone posts an innocent jpeg, I'm going to see the X rated one! :shock:

(BTW, not something most of us would want to see! Most of us should leave our clothes on in public.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:51 pm

Damn, since I've retired, I have spent far too long on the damned internet, and still I missed the interesting stuff.
Ah well, back to the duffel bag. I have a commercial marine ticket (Coxwain's Certificate of Competency)
I can legally drive commercial vessels up to 12 metres in length and 250 kW per shaft.
Can I competently drive something that big? Probably not well to begin with, my experience has been mostly in boats half that length and power.
Anyway it's a common thing when operating open boats to have a sea bag with all the important stuff in it.
Survey papers, stability document, copy of your licence, flares and rockets, first aid kits, etc.

It's often a big wide mouth plastic carboy with a screw on lid, but I always had trouble unscrewing the lids.
I now have two recreational boats, and they too have mandated safety gear equipment. Flares, epirbs, first aid kits, self inflating buoyancy vests and fire extinguishers have expiry dates.
I find it hard enough to keep one boat's worth up to date now that I only go to sea for recreational pursuits.
I figured with two boats, something was always going to be out of date, and some of it isn't cheap. A new inshore flare kit was $88 yesterday.
I figured I can only drive one boat at a time, so I've put together this grab bag I can just sling from one boat to the next.
Easier to monitor just one set, and cheaper than putting two sets together.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:07 am

MickinOz wrote:I figured I can only drive one boat at a time, so I've put together this grab bag I can just sling from one boat to the next.
Easier to monitor just one set, and cheaper than putting two sets together.

Live long enough and stuff just gathers.
I just got rid of my 22yr old Toyota Tundra and have a "new" 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe.
It took me all day to empty stuff from the old truck and I don't know where to put it all. :lol:
I had truck stuff: better cylinder jack, emergency shovel, tools, iron pipe cheater bar for lug nuts, etc.
Dog stuff
Dog show stuff
Earthdog test stuff
Trailer stuff
Other stuff.
It all just appeared over the last 22 yrs and now sits in crates in the garage looking for a new home.
I now have only one dog who does not do any of those things and sold my trailer to my nephew.
:?
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:43 am

dmb90260 wrote:It took me all day to empty stuff from the old truck and I don't know where to put it all. :lol:
I had truck stuff: better cylinder jack, emergency shovel, tools, iron pipe cheater bar for lug nuts, etc.
It all just appeared over the last 22 yrs and now sits in crates in the garage looking for a new home.
I now have only one dog who does not do any of those things and sold my trailer to my nephew.
:?

Along those lines, does anyone think they'll go back to selling oil in cans anytime soon? I have this spout that punctures the top and lets you pour the oil in without needing a funnel! had it in my tool box all these years. It has sentimental value you see. Dad gave it to me as a Christmas gift when I was a teenager, about a year or two before they switched to the plastic bottles.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:37 am

does anyone think they'll go back to selling oil in cans anytime soon?

Soon, Tom. Real soon. :R

The problem with that gift is that you can't throw it away.

But me? All I saw was a red duffel. I think it depends on what your brain wants to see. :FNP :FNP :FNP :FNP

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:36 am

I still have can’s with oil in them :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:27 pm

tony.latham wrote: But me? All I saw was a red duffel. I think it depends on what your brain wants to see. :FNP :FNP :FNP :FNP

Tony

Had a Sunday school teacher once who told us if we stared at too many pictures of red duffels, we'd go blind!

Tom :NC
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion