What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:41 pm

RJ Howell wrote:Between trips and local exploring.. thank god I'm retired and have time now, I find other projects around the home.

This started as just grab a few small pines for a railing project. Now I see other possibilities of pole construction. Hmm.. I need to setup a bigger rack for drying now!
I have plenty of pines for use. Might as well use 'em! Do want a roof shelter & do want a greenhouse.. And away I go!

Great ideas! :thumbsup: I've read that many woodsmen would cut, peel, and dry polls to have some on hand because they are so useful.

I peeled some pinion pine polls and made decorative curtain rods for our log cabin home. I got some more last spring that I intend to use to build a 1/12 scale doll house log cabin. (My wife makes doll house furniture as a business, and I think an authentic looking log cabin will do well.)

I try and cut them during the freeze to prevent bark beetle spread (they smell cut wood and nest near it). Found the polls cut in Fall can have a two tone color depending on how deeply I peel. The ones in Spring are more uniformly light.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:52 pm

rjgimp wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:Bought four shop vacs at an estate sale Friday. One of them had a 3 inch hole drilled in its bucket. I'm not sure why either. :thinking:

Is that the orange Rigid with the white disc at the bottom? I have a large wet vac with a factory drain at the bottom. It's big... something like 12 gallons, so if you have that full of liquid that's 80+pounds you'll need to lift in order to dump out. :frightened: With this one you wheel it to a floor drain and unscrew the cover from the drain.

That's the one, with my 72 cent cover. Maybe the previous owner was thinking of something like that, but this only holds a gallon or two.

rjgimp wrote: Maybe with all those vac motors you could build a hovercraft like in the ad that's been in the back of Boys' Life magazine forever. :twisted:

LOL! I know the ad. In fact, I think my brother sent away for the plans. Don't remember him ever building it, but the volunteer fire department did have to come by with some big ladders and help him off of the roof one day... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby MickinOz » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:42 pm

Range morning. 200 yard bunny shoot. (It's a paper target, no Bugs were harmed).
Local dealer laid out some cool stuff in the back of my ute.
Carbon fibre CZ 22 at bottom, nice little rifle (forget the brand) chambered in Hornady 0.17 Mach 2, and a nice 0.223.
It was a good morning and a good turn out, too.
I came 4th out of 13 shooters, with 17 bunnies out of a possible 20 with my 0.223.
Some were shooting 0.22 rimfire, so I wasn't as successful it may first appears.
Selection.JPG
Selection.JPG (165.85 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

7 year old Sophie is so small Grandad has to take the recoil of the 0.223 for her.
She came 5th.
4th generation shooter - strong in this one, the force is.
Sophie 200 yards 223.JPG
Sophie 200 yards 223.JPG (104.38 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Indiana Rambler » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:28 am

Camped this weekend at Cave Creek Campground in Falls of Rough Kentucky with the Kentucky Bluegrass Tear Jerkers group. Great bunch of people and plenty of southern hospitality. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:40 am

Sweet! And the last photo, it sure looks like sage brush. I woulda swore the pic was taken in the western U.S.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:11 pm

Yesterday I started, and finished today, a kayak mover. I made a counterweighted trundle system to store our his 'n her kayaks over the garage door. When we were in the mood to paddle, I'd pull the Outback inside, close the garage door, drop the kayaks on to the roof rack cradles, strap 'em down, and off we'd go! After upgrading to an Ascent, that wouldn't work anymore - taller vehicle. So, I had been dropping the trundle, wrestling the kayaks out of the trundle one by one, then hefting them onto the Ascent's roof racks by hand. Not fun.

So, I made a kayak mover. Visualize a large tray table frame with twin kayak cradles instead of a table and caster wheels to push it around easily. I now close the garage door, set the mover under the trundle, lower the trundle and place the kayaks on the mover, raise the empty trundle and keep it in the up position with a pair of vise-grip pliers, raise the garage door, push the mover to the rear of the vehicle, and slide them onto the roof rack.

Here's my Instructables page for this: https://www.instructables.com/Kayak-Management-Systems/

If you're a Tear Jerkers member, you can see the project there, too.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:50 pm

Today Shelly and I (mostly Shelly) installed shower bars in one of our bathrooms against the day we, ahm....get old

Only cost a little tears, sweat, and <queue psycho theme> blood

Actually, that's the spray from cutting 3/4 inch holes into porcelian tile with a diamond drill. That was my job. Made us nervous, but it wasn't bad at all: wet the bit and wall with a spritzer bottle, start with the drill at full speed, hit the wall at a 45 degree angle and anticipate it trying to run along the wall, go to perpendicular with a slight oscillation so only a part of the bit is making full contact at any time. While I drilled, Shelly kept things wet with the spritzer.

The backer board looks suspiciously like drywall, and not cement board, but the bars feel sturdy. We used Wingits, of which the Youtubeaverse is full of mixed reviews, but they worked okay for us. Made me nervous that they require 3/4 inch holes. Evidently, this meets all codes.

We're now confident enough that we may do the other bath, and also the one toilet that has a wall next to it, while we "still remember how" as Shelly puts it. This was inspired by her dizziness this past summer, but she did some special physical therapy and finished it yesterday, and is now feeling much better :worship: We're wondering if it might be a weird effect from the covid she had last March. Just don't know, but we hope it's gone for good!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Hubert » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:30 pm

I ordered a bunch of 1/8" Baltic birch today. I plan to start my build in December, but I had not seen the 1/8" in stock for a while, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I guess I'm committed now...
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

Postby MickinOz » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:41 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Sweet! And the last photo, it sure looks like sage brush. I woulda swore the pic was taken in the western U.S.

Tony

I call it bluebush, and saltbush. I don't know the real names.
Young Sophie is going to be a star.
She's been out three times I know of:
2nd in the 100 yard 0.22 rimfire shoot
4th in the 300 yard shoot (0.223)
5th in the 200 yard shoot (0.223)

The club captain awarded her the Wascally Wabbit Twophy (a little statuette of Elmer Fudd) for the 100 yard shoot.
Her aunt kicks my butt every time we shoot together.
Sophie.JPG
Sophie and the captain
Sophie.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby rjgimp » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:45 pm

MickinOz wrote:
The club captain awarded her the Wascally Wabbit Twophy (a little statuette of Elmer Fudd) for the 100 yard shoot.
Her aunt kicks my butt every time we shoot together.
Sophie.JPG

Ok, I'm fascinated by the CRT monitor sitting on that desk not covered in a half inch layer of dust and presumably functional. I thought such things were only found in museums these days.
:R
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:08 pm

Hubert wrote:I ordered a bunch of 1/8" Baltic birch today. I plan to start my build in December, but I had not seen the 1/8" in stock for a while, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I guess I'm committed now...

How much a sheet? I can get it out of Idaho Falls for $35.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hubert » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Hubert wrote:I ordered a bunch of 1/8" Baltic birch today. I plan to start my build in December, but I had not seen the 1/8" in stock for a while, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I guess I'm committed now...

How much a sheet? I can get it out of Idaho Falls for $35.

Tony

I ordered B/BB material for $19.76/sheet (plus tax) from a supplier in Charlotte, NC. I've ordered Baltic birch from them before and the quality was great with very few footballs even on the BB side. I think their truck comes down to the Columbia area every Wednesday, so I'll know next week what I've got to work with. I also have some 4'x8' sheets of 18mm Baltic birch (BB/BB) that I will probably use for the walls. Those cost $97.60 at the moment from the same supplier, which is about what ACX costs locally in the same thickness. The 4'x8' Baltic birch is made with waterproof glue as well, but it adds a bit of weight compared to ACX.

Before getting into this, I had no idea that sourcing material for a teardrop would be so problematic. Baltic birch is hard to get, I can't find light weight fiber glass in 60" width anywhere at any price, and the places I've contacted about a Torflex axle can't be bothered to send me a quote. I'm not in a rush to start building, so for now, I just buy stuff whenever I come across it, or when I can combine it with other purchases to save on shipping cost. I think it's probably going to take me a year to build the trailer, so hopefully the situation improves along the way.
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:53 am

I ordered B/BB material for $19.76/sheet...

That's GREAT news. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:05 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I ordered B/BB material for $19.76/sheet...

That's GREAT news. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony

+2 on that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope to build a miter saw station this winter and resigned myself to an MDF work surface. But maybe we'll be able to find some 3/4 inch BB after all. :thinking:

We paid $17/sheet for 5x5 1/8 inch BB five years ago, so $20/sheet isn't bad at all! (~$100/sheet for 4x8 3/4 inch isn't fun, but probably worth it when MDF is north of $50/sheet.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Hubert » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:51 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:I hope to build a miter saw station this winter and resigned myself to an MDF work surface. But maybe we'll be able to find some 3/4 inch BB after all. :thinking:

I hope you can find something at a decent price. The 1/2" sheets in 5'x5' seem to be the most common down here, maybe you can design a miter station from that. We built one at work a few years ago out of 1/2" BB. It's two sheets spaced about 4" apart with shallow drawers in between. It's essentially a torsion box with one side open and has stayed flat. I think something like that could be built from lower grade plywood as well. I just bought some 4'x8' sheets of 1/2" shop grade birch ply for shelving for $20/sheet. That material has some voids, but I'd still prefer it over MDF.
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion