11# Propane questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby emiller » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Bought mine at Home Depot by my work the one by my house doesn't carry them. Many places fill tanks, the last time was at a Mobile station and have gone to U Haul to fill my tanks also. Bought my adapter at Al's RV here in Phoenix.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:08 pm

I bought one of the 11# tanks at Gander Mountain for around $40. Wal Mart sporting goods usually carries the 'post', hose w/fittings, & the POL adapter so the hose fits your tank. Madjack can tell ya how well it worked with the propane lantern at LCG last fall :thumbsup:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 pm

Nobody wrote:I bought one of the 11# tanks at Gander Mountain for around $40. Wal Mart sporting goods usually carries the 'post', hose w/fittings, & the POL adapter so the hose fits your tank. Madjack can tell ya how well it worked with the propane lantern at LCG last fall :thumbsup:

yep, I was impressed...that is why I want one........ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Amazing!

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:20 am

Gotta say--the stuff I find out on this board is amazing....

I had no idea, nada, that there were so many different sizes of propane tanks out there. Is this a great country or what??!

Semi-seriously, I want to thank you all for the information, particularly about the adapters etc. One peculiar fact here in hillbilly suburbia (name of a band that plays at Albert Music Hall just down the road) is that 75% of the stuff you folks in the south and midwest find at Walmarts, etc, is almost never available here...ah well, I know I can get it online if worse comes to worse.

One double check....Reading Dales note about the adapters, it sounds like you keep the 1# connector and just put a hose with a female adapter on it to connect to the tank? Do I have that right?

Ciao,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby SmokeyBob » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:19 am

I believe this is what Dale is talking about. The large end of this hose connects to your propane tank. The small end connects to your stove where the small disposable bottle would have gone. This is a 5' hose. I use one like it on my stove.

Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:51 am

This is a little off subject. But for those who have these liquid fuel stoves, there is an adapter to use a propane bottle on them. I have one for my 3 burner stove. It was given to me, so when I hooked it to the stove it worked. I've seen them at Walmart. Sorry I don't have a pic of the adapter.

Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Amazing!

Postby Dale M. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:52 am

kayakrguy wrote:One double check....Reading Dales note about the adapters, it sounds like you keep the 1# connector and just put a hose with a female adapter on it to connect to the tank? Do I have that right?

Ciao,

Jim

In most cases that is exactly what you do, and its the simplest way ... Seems that each manufacturer has propriety connector for hose at appliance and is next to impossible to find LONG hose with propriety connector.... The #1 disposable cylinder connector in most cases is the "common connector" that everything seems to mate to.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:55 am

SmokeyBob wrote:I believe this is what Dale is talking about. The large end of this hose connects to your propane tank. The small end connects to your stove where the small disposable bottle would have gone. This is a 5' hose. I use one like it on my stove.

Exactly.........

And it is what I use too....... Comes in lengths from as short as 4 feet up to 18 feet of one looks real hard....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Got my smaller tank from Gander Mtn.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:23 pm

Dale M. wrote:
kayakrguy wrote:One double check....Reading Dales note about the adapters, it sounds like you keep the 1# connector and just put a hose with a female adapter on it to connect to the tank? Do I have that right?

Ciao,

Jim

In most cases that is exactly what you do, and its the simplest way ... Seems that each manufacturer has propriety connector for hose at appliance and is next to impossible to find LONG hose with propriety connector.... The #1 disposable cylinder connector in most cases is the "common connector" that everything seems to mate to.

Dale

..also...that 1#connector is also a "self-regulating valve"...without it, you would need a pressure regulator at the tank........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:04 pm

.also...that 1#connector is also a "self-regulating valve"...without it, you would need a pressure regulator at the tank........
madjack 8)

Not quite what it sounds like ..... There is NO PRESSURE Regulation... Appliance operates at "tank pressure" and that is dependent on ambient temperature of air around tank....

Usually there is some sort of orifice that restricts the volume of gas flow to appliance but that is usually in control valve assembly of appliance.

Keep in mind we are discussing only appliances that operate of disposable #1 cylinders here....

Other types of appliances are low pressure devices that require a additional regulator to bring tank pressure down to appliances pressure, usually about 1/3 to 1/2 psi (about 7 to 10 inches water). The are more similar to home appliances like the cast iron stoves (nostalgia style) that are so popular....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Dale M. wrote:
.also...that 1#connector is also a "self-regulating valve"...without it, you would need a pressure regulator at the tank........
madjack 8)

Not quite what it sounds like ..... There is NO PRESSURE Regulation... Appliance operates at "tank pressure" and that is dependent on ambient temperature of air around tank....

Usually there is some sort of orifice that restricts the volume of gas flow to appliance but that is usually in control valve assembly of appliance.

Keep in mind we are discussing only appliances that operate of disposable #1 cylinders here....

Other types of appliances are low pressure devices that require a additional regulator to bring tank pressure down to appliances pressure, usually about 1/3 to 1/2 psi (about 7 to 10 inches water). The are more similar to home appliances like the cast iron stoves (nostalgia style) that are so popular....

Dale

...if you say so but that has not been my understanding or experience.................................... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I have a Brinkman camp stove. When I first bought it, I also bought a 5# tank at the same time then hooked it all up and been using it for about a month. Then one day I was bored I decided to read the Brinkman stove instruction, it said 'Not to use the bigger Propane tank!'. I though What!!! I been using the 5# with no problem. So I e-mailed the company to ask WHY??? They e-mailed back and their answer was that they just never tested the stove with a larger tank. To me that was no answer, I went on ahead and continue to use the larger tank. Been using it now for 5 month fairly regular and see no problems.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm

madjack wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
madjack 8)

Dale

...if you say so but that has not been my understanding or experience.................................... 8)

...because this is such a saftey issue, I emailed Coleman and asked...I also went to the Coleman website and looked at product manuals for propane stoves and lanterns...in all instances the valve that the one pound tank connects to is referred to as the "regulator"...both in assembly instructions and in parts breakdown...this leads me to believe that as I stated previously that the valve that the 1# tank connects to is a self-regulating valve and that there is regulation occuring before the gas hits the orifice...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Arthur...is the 5# bottle connected to the same valve the 1# tank connects to or do you have that valve by-passed and connected directly to the burner......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion