Dogs and Tears

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 pm

We camp with two adults and an 80 lb golden retriever in a 5x10 Hunter Shadow. The dog starts at the foot of the bed. If it's hot she works her way up to an open door for air. If it's cold she works her way up between us.:shock:
At home she sleeps on the floor so she really likes camping where she can sleep with us.
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Gaelen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:34 pm

I have two English cocker spaniels (the old man is ~30 lbs, the young girl is ~22 lbs.) Casey has always been a foot-of-the-bed guy; M. likes to sleep up near my shoulders or snuggled under my arm.

The Sunspot is 4 1/2 feet wide and about 7 feet long in the sleeping area, and I have that set up with a single cot along the long side. When we went to Fish Creek, they slept in the camper with me on night one--M. on the cot under my left arm, Casey on the cot at my feet. Their cat Churro slept all weekend in his own crate next to the foot of the cot--it nests in nicely right under the shelf that is my galley/pass-through.
Saturday night when it poured, the dogs spent the night in their crates in the truck, and Churro slept loose with me inside the camper with his crate door open.

My guys are show/performance dogs who are used to being crated on the road, so when I can't directly supervise them, they take a nap in their crates. I also travel with an ex-pen with a cover, so that the dogs and cat can take turns catching some sunshine.

And BTW...Madison says a huge hello and thank you to Brenda (of Jawbone & Brenda) for the lovely long walks Brenda took her on during the Tear-Up.
Madison is the blue roan (black/white spotted) and Casey is the red one, and usually there is a single cot behind them on the far wall that we all share.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby bve » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:59 pm

FireLion wrote:hikerchick, you readin this?

lol that's what I was thinking.

An lo an behold she has already posted :)

I plan to take my new pup with me once I get a TD built... eventually... someday... whenever :oops:

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Make the teardrop a little longer, and let them sleep down by your feet... or even up by your head...

Mike...

P.S. Or get fancy, and build a 2+2 and let them sleep in the top bunk!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Didn't somebody build a Tear with a doggie bed hanging out the side of one door? That way you get to keep your bed and the dog gets his/her own space.....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I thought I remember seeing someone that made a slide out like the big trailers have just for the dog. That would be my plan if I was building one now. Maybe for the next one.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I sleep head-to-back, and have a queen mattress and 18" of room at the foot (front of tear) for the dog... that way, she does not crawl over the pillows.

I soon will be getting a rescue border collie, and one will sleep at the foot of the bed, one on the bed.... now that Marriott girl has gone..... room for another dog. Actually, if they get along, there is room enough on the floor for both. time will tell.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mjg444 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 pm

I've got a 5' wide (almost) and a 96 pound dog. There is room for me and the dog, but with another person it's cozy but would work. He doesn't sleep with me at home but is happy to sleep in the tear. He has slept outside too if it's safe. If it's cold he is a good heater also. He can also sleep in my Yukon if need be.

I would think if your dog is small enough and sleeps on your bed with you at home, it shouldn't be much different in a teardrop. Unless you have a King size bed at home :D

Michele & Spike
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CJflyer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Lilly loves to camp especially if there is a lake near by. We adopted her from a rescue in Tulsa 3 years ago and she loves to swim and chase and bite the little waves as they lap on the shore. She is also an under the covers sleeper. She waits until the wife and I get situated and then burrows down under the covers to our feet. We plan to take her whenever and where ever we camp.
73's WF1yer
CJflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:56 pm

My pup...no longer with me, had full run of the tear. Up at the IRG in 06 I told her to go get in the "little house", she ran over and jumped into the trailer that I had loaned to Dean...whoops Daisy...wrong trailer, but she had camped in it quite a bit so figured it was hers. My trailers were hers as much as they were mine. Regardless of the quilt that was in there it was hers, and I really didn't care. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby greasywheats » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Our 45 pound Aussie turned out to be a real space hog on our 5 foot wide bed, so I built his own "PetPod". I plan on redesigning it in the future, but it has been great for us.

greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby Isalvus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I have a 100lb Rotty and he has his own bunk which our feet fit nicely under. We've camped for two years like this and it has worked out well

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=34965
Isalvus
Teardrop Master

Doppelgangers

Postby Mark S. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 pm

CJflyer wrote:Lilly loves to camp especially if there is a lake near by. We adopted her from a rescue in Tulsa 3 years ago and she loves to swim and chase and bite the little waves as they lap on the shore. She is also an under the covers sleeper. She waits until the wife and I get situated and then burrows down under the covers to our feet. We plan to take her whenever and where ever we camp.

I think we found our dogs doppelganger!

Meet Libby...

Too funny about sleeping under the covers as that is exactly what she does!
Mark S.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fireaunt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Greasywheat, that is beautiful! 8)
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby firemaniac » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 pm

My boy Bomber, camps well. He usually sleeps at my feet under the covers, where he usually sleeps at home anyway.

Must be a Terrier thing that they gotta be under the covers
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion