fenders

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:58 pm

I was driving next to a triple axle trailer the other day and realized. If you got a fender from a triple axle trailer, you can get a pair if you cut them like JScheuermann did. You won't have the waste like when you cut a double axle fender.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TomS » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:32 pm

I took some aluminum diamond plate fenders and cut 6" off each end. The fender on the right has been trimmed. The one on the left hasn't been trimmed yet.

This is what they look like when mounted on my tear.

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:51 pm

Heres a site for some good stock fenders. They look good with some "Model "A" tail Lamps" on them. The 7X21X 6 fit a 12" wheel just right.

http://www.bageco.com/trailerpartsetc.htm

Photo;

http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/len19070/taillamp.JPG

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 40deluxecoupe » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 pm

I have been trying to call RW Johnson but get no answer, also sent an email but it came back. Are they still operating? How can I get hold of them?
Thx.
40deluxecoupe
Donating Member

Re: fenders

Postby DoWopBox » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:45 am

These are different than what I'm looking for, but maybe they would work for someone else. They are for a boat trailer and so far, it looks like the price is right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26451&item=4559266174&rd=1

I'm looking for some Chevy or Buick fenders, late 30's or early 40's.

bigmcgiv wrote:looking for fender options. and need some help . also something that are retro and stell or fibergllass dont matter, tks matt :thumbsup:
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

VW Bug fender

Postby xe1ufo » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:32 pm

Since I initially plan on towing my yet-to-be-built TearDrop with my 1994 VW Beetle (NOT New Beatle), I was thinking of using some VW Bug rear fenders and trimming them to make them the same width from front to back. Has anybody tried this? Also, that way I will use the same tail light assemblies as on the Bug. I plan to paint the TearDrop to match the Bug.

Oh and yes, my friends, ordinary VW Bugs were built here in Mexico until 2003!

Mine is fuel-injected 1600 cc., and I hope to add a turbocharger when I get rich and famous. Now I am just famous ... :R

Steve, Central Old Mexico
Sub-Assistant to the Director of Unimportant Affairs
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Re: VW Bug fender

Postby JunkMan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:53 am

xe1ufo wrote:I was thinking of using some VW Bug rear fenders and trimming them to make them the same width from front to back. Has anybody tried this?

Steve,

I had thought about doing this also, but I think the fender would be too narrow to cut down. You might be able to widen it by adding some metal. I would like to see what you come up with if you do it, since I have a few older bugs in addition to our new Beetle, and I think VW style fenders on a tear would look sharp.

I wonder if I have any old rear fenders laying around that I could experiment with :twisted:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Update - tandem fenders cut

Postby JScheuermann » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:04 pm

Here is an update from our May post. The tandems that we cut have now been fabricated into teardops with '56 Chevy taillights in bullet style cans.
They are all primed and ready for paint. Kate has come up with a 2 tone color scheme to match the future padded marine canvas roof (Beige) and the interior cabinet doors (sage green). We added a skirt and there was very little waste from each tandem because the cut off was used inside to protect the taillight wiring. You can see on the fender in the rear of this pic

We opted to put the 15" rims back on instead of the 14"'s and were lucky to find the Buick full moon hub caps in a local scrap yard. 8)
John Scheuermann
JScheuermann
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:03 pm

Hey John....that's a pretty tasty looking fender, you have done well....I just got back from our little git-together in the Redwoods, awesome place I might mention, and had 6 hours to do some thinking...My next one is going to have something really trick like that for the fenders.....Keep up the good work, fantastic look.....doug :thumbsup: :applause:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:57 am

Hey John, Fenders look great. Charles used your idea in the July 1st post for his motorcycle trailer and it looks real nice. I just showed him your latest pics and he said really liked them. We will have to save the idea for our next tear (?????).

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 am

600 Racing has one set of fenders thats looks useable from the Legends Cars at $85.00 each. VW fenders have to be cut where widest and have metal added at the rear. There are some widened fiberglass ones available that may work from BGW Spectre.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:51 am

These are 'glass, skirted, but work well and are finished for use w/o the skirts too. They're "bomber" (for fiberglass).
12"-13" wide.
Contact Larry @ 541-895-2754.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Re: fenders

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:08 pm

DoWopBox wrote:These are different than what I'm looking for, but maybe they would work for someone else. They are for a boat trailer and so far, it looks like the price is right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26451&item=4559266174&rd=1

Something to consider here, most plastic boat fenders are tapered on the back so the bottom is wider than the top. The only place they would be against the body would be where they mount on the bottom. So you would be left with a gap behind them to catch all the road junk.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: VW Bug fender

Postby angib » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:35 pm

xe1ufo wrote:I was thinking of using some VW Bug rear fenders and trimming them to make them the same width from front to back. Has anybody tried this?

Yes - and I've seen them on a web site recently.

But where? I can't remember.....

I imagine in the Ministry of Unimportant Affairs you get plenty of work time for private surfing, so let us know when you find it!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion