For those who have a shower,what you use / like.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Two methods. One, most common, we just put it on the campstove. My husband is working on a steel ring with a bunch of holes in it to go over a single burner white gas we have so I don't have to lift it up. It will double as a dutch oven holder too, but he has been too busy at work to get it done. :o (He owns a custom machine shop and it is farming season. Too much farmer repair work)
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 am

The beer man in me has always thought that one could use 5 gallon soda kegs with a mini co2 charge :twisted:

vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Off Grid Rving » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:39 am

Here in my off grid renewable energy camper I built I use a solar water collector, they do work great in a wisconsin winter too. I tested a small version couple winters ago and it can still heat up an uninsulated bucket of water too hot for you to stick your hand into.

do not discount solar gains.
Check out http://offgridrving.com
--Update--
http://offgridrving.com has been transformed into Community Sites - where you can sign up for your very own project site, chronicle your experiences on the journey at http://offgridrving.com
Get your own space to post updates and pictures and even videos of your build.
Off Grid Rving
Teardrop Master

Postby Ratkity » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:51 am

vtx1029 wrote:The beer man in me has always thought that one could use 5 gallon soda kegs with a mini co2 charge :twisted:

You gonna take a bath in carbonated water? I heard soda water could get out stains in fabrics..... :lol:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:01 am

Only problem with soda kegs is hose connection for average joe.. Things with threaded connectors and or barbed connector are easier to work with and then there is issue with "charging" (pressurizing) them....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Dale M. wrote:Only problem with soda kegs is hose connection for average joe.. Things with threaded connectors and or barbed connector are easier to work with and then there is issue with "charging" (pressurizing) them.... Dale

I've been using one of these as a garden chemical sprayer for years. I had to weld threaded fittings onto the "wierd" fittings that the container originally came with.

One caution on using pressure vessels and heating things up on a stove/burner. Any pressure vessel (particularly one that is being heated) should have a pressure relief valve installed. Heating a sealed container can be very hazardous to your health. Personally, I'd never heat a container with the lid installed except a properly maintained pressure cooker or a "factory" water heater with all of its safety devices installed.

One can absolutely think "outside the box", find alternate uses for things (see my pressure cooker based water heater) but you gotta pay attention and do it safely. Burns hurt! A lot!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I don't know why but RV hot water heaters always seem to be overlooked. They're not that much bigger than the rigs everyone has been discussing and they work great. I have the pilot light type and the only time the burner runs is when I light it at the beginning of a trip so it doesn't use much propane. The pilot light keeps the water hot enough that I've never heard the burner come on after a shower. Its funny though, I never would have considered one either until I read about the one that Rob put in his Cabin Car.

However, I just looked at prices and they've sure gone up since I got mine off eBay.
:shock:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Changer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't have any intention of putting a shower in the tinycamper, but if I were to, I think I'd go with something like this - http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=705838
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby youandi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 pm

We like a few other members have a Zodi Extreme Shower unit, PETT (Clean Waste) shower tent and toilet.

Last edited by youandi on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm

I have a 20 quart pot I heat up on the Coleman stove or over the campfire coals.
And a Coleman 6volt shower pump which I think has been discontinued.
I take it apart to let it dry out every time I use it so it won't rust out.
And the shower tent.

Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:53 am

Dale M. wrote:Only problem with soda kegs is hose connection for average joe.. Things with threaded connectors and or barbed connector are easier to work with and then there is issue with "charging" (pressurizing) them....

Dale

5 bucks a piece for the correct connectors with barbed fitting :roll: doesn't seem that hard for the average joe to me. I also gave you a solution on how to charge it cheap and effectively....
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 am

We are using an Atwood 6gal gas/electric heater. MM#1 had a 4 gal gas heater which worked well but used a fair amount of gas and when hooked up to shore power it just made sense to use electric that you are already paying for. You can see it in the left hand corner.

The neat shower head set up is this one, that uses a single twist control http://www.adventuretrailers.com/showermixer.html

[/img]
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

hot water/shower system

Postby chef0 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi everyone - I've been a lurker her for a while and decided to join. Right now we tent camp, but have dreams of a TD one day. Here's the shower system that we use. I went out and bought a 3 gallon garden sprayer at a home improvement store. This is the kind that you pump up to pressurize. It is generally used for weed spray. Looking back, I could have gone with a smaller model, but oh well. We then heat a large pan of water to very hot, pour it into the sprayer and add cold water to get the right temperature. (This way we're not heating a huge amount of water.) We either heat the water on the camp stove or over the fire. Close the sprayer, pump it up and you have a pressurized shower for about $15.00. BTW - it also makes for a great mister if it is really hot, or even a giant water gun. :lol:
chef0
Teardrop Inspector

Postby navigator » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 pm

When we tent-camped, I built a trailer to store all our gear, which had a 50-gallon water tank and a 12-volt pump, plus a 10-gallon water heater. I used washing machine hoses to connect to a washing machine valve on the trailer (to left of tire), and adapted the hoses to an RV shower spray valve at the other end, which was in the shower tent seen in the background. Worked great! Camping with other families required refilling the tank, as they enjoyed hot showers, too!

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby sdakotadoug » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Have a look at one of these. www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm.
sdakotadoug
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion