Hunters arrive in San Diego

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby dahoon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:14 am

Tom,

A couple small concerns I have with using your Magnum to pull. And, it has nothing to do with me being a Chevy man.

Dodges that have exceeded their factory original light count have had a problem with blowing fuses. So becareful and pack extras.

Trailer wiring manufactures make a circuit protection device that is a plug-play module that mounts under and behind the rear bumper. It will protect your car from wiring shorts from the trailer.

Enjoy your new trailer and happy trails.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby San Diegan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:10 am

Mike,

The latest Mopar wiring harness and 7 way connector has the running lights, stop lights, trailer brakes (not using that), and signals on relays with power and charging from the alternator/battery circuit in the car. So the running lights et al are not actually in circuit with the auto lights. I was told that anything else would fritz the onboard computer/diagnostics.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby pgwilli » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:45 am

Hey Tom,
Your Shadow looks great. :applause:

So Phil delivered three to your area in one trip, eh?
I have a picture of him and SuZanne standing next ot our Shadow. He sure has a way of making a teardrop look small ;).
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby San Diegan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:32 pm

Paul,

He's a large fellow. We went to install the battery in it's box and his hands were too big to fit between the box and cabinet wall.

So far, the Hunter is very cool.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Sarge » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:16 am

San Diegan,

Congratulations! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was away on vacation. Took the Fat Shadow over the Sierras behind my 4 cylinder Element with no problems. Planned on camping part of the vacation, but never got around to it (it's a long story.....). My main goal was to see if I could get over the mountains. That was a success. Can't see why you would have any problems with your Magnum. Bigger car, bigger motor, bigger brakes, smaller trailer....what's the issue? Since you've figured out the hitch issue it should be smooth sailing.

Your galley looks great. The plans for your side tables sound interesting. I wish I was more coordinated and could do wood working but considering that I routinely cut myself while folding paper I stay away from anything requiring me to use my hands.

I look forward to the day we meet and discuss our interests in Hunter trailers and teardrops over wine. I'll bring the box and dixie cups. :D

Again, congratulations and enjoy!!!

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby San Diegan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:53 pm

Hi Sarge,

Took the Shadow on it's maiden campout this weekend. Borrego Springs. Left Saturday afternoon, arrived about six. The desert evening was moderate, temperature wise, about 70. Spent about 2 hours fumbling around cooking (chicken and sausage Gumbo, vacuum packed at home, and reheated, fresh rice, and salad), had a glass of the grape, crawled in and passed out. I didn't wake until about 8:30 (I am, by natue a 5:30 first light kind of person), by which time it was about 90. I slept like a baby. Hiked into the Palm Canyon (about 20 degrees cooler), hiked back, cooked breakfast, packed and headed for home. I learned alot about what I might pack and store differently

Everything on the Shadow worked. And towing up the Montezuma Grade (I had come down the night before) was no strain. The Shadow felt like nothing, except there is no rear vision through the central rear view mirror. Measured the Optima D34M upon return and it had been completely recharged.

It would be a pleasure to meet you and Little Sarge. Box wine and dixie cups are just fine by me.

I will record the process of the side tables and post pictures in here. I have keyed a corian cutting board into the right hand slider and that is used for food prep. I like my little world back there.

Take care,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion