Hey Russ How you doing?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 am

Starting Monday the temps are going into the 40's Yeah! No furnace = No propane!
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Well I last replaced or changed the propane tank early (3;30 am) Monday morning. I just changed it to the second tank this afternoon (Friday) That is starting to stretch the fuel. I suspect I will get a full week out of one 20 lb this week.

This is getting me antsy to get the whole trailer emptied out to insulate it for the summer months and that of course will lead to next winter.

Oh! bought my Amtrak ticket for the February 26th annual trip to Harrisburg and back to Latrobe trip.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

This is getting me antsy to get the whole trailer emptied out to insulate it for the summer months and that of course will lead to next winter.

How are you going to do that? Rent a storage shed? You can't leave everything outside, especially at night or during business hours and I suspect it will take longer than one day to insulate. Do you have a friend or relative that will let you use their garage or barn for a while?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 pm

S. Heisley wrote:

How are you going to do that? Rent a storage shed? You can't leave everything outside, especially at night or during business hours and I suspect it will take longer than one day to insulate. Do you have a friend or relative that will let you use their garage or barn for a while?

Do you have a friend or relative NO! But probably will rent a storage shed for a month.

However I have the farmer in Somerset (Up in the mountains ) that will most likely let me do this work at his field and with some tarps (always can use canvas tarps) to cover things up as I do the work. Probably do the bed area first as the items in that area won't get damaged. As I do the bed area I will put the bed back in for the night and just sleep on the foam during the night and just pull it back out the next day. Still organizing it in my brain right now. I do have tents like ez up to cover things as well. Don't have to have the ez up extended all the way up just to cover the items on tarps on the ground.

The $60.00 is better used for the insulation then storage.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:38 pm

slowcowboy wrote:any plans other than insulation for any changes next winter russ? Slowcowboy.

This year is to pay off the credit card and get my other debit card up so that next year I will not be sitting here in a parking lot wasting propane. Instead spending my money on fuel and getting to see the country in daytime warmer temps and when I do come back to work I will have photos to enjoy and recall sites that I went through saying I spent money on fuel and brought back memories.

Today was a nice day as my wife's cousin took me out so that I didn't have to waste fuel while just sitting on a lap top inside a heated trailer. Got to talk about my wife and what things might have been like. It will be four years this week that she is gone. Feels like yesterday.

Tomorrow the grand daughter is going to be 8.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Been awhile since I posted but what is up with this weather? I had the door open all evening as the temp right now is 59 at 8:45 pm in February. The coldest it will be is on Tuesday at 30 as the ten day says other then that 40's. Furnace off and saving propane. Clearing up some side jobs and filling up the checking account for Marches bills. Just using gas for the generator.Also as long as I am not in the trailer I am saving gas as well. Days off I goto the Library to up load photos and that means I am not using gas in the generator.

Maybe people will start spring cleaning early and find window problems for me to fix. One lady has called me to do some odd jobs to fix so she could sell her house. That helped. Also will get this other side job done that I was suppose to do since November b4 the weather broke into winter cold. I know the Lord takes care of me.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey Russ

Good hear the weather is breaking for you and that you are getting a bit of work.

We are doing a bit more here now that the fields have dried out a little.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Not as warm as the rest of the week but warm enough to leave the door open today. 42 degrees @1:00

Just cleaned out the trailer for more floor space. Now have 8 sq of floor. Feels good not to have my dirty laundry inside the trailer. Still finding things to get rid of. Vacuumed the winter dirt out.

I tell you I am going to be in trouble this summer if I stay here as I know the noise I heard outside the trailer is not a dog but more like a wild one. I am staying in the company parking lot next to the creek and its business/industrial so no one is around at night. The road is busy but what ever is trying to get in is not quiet. I think it smelled the burnt chicken I cooked last night. (I cooked a new batch to replace that one). I mean it badly wanted in. I may not be able to keep the door open with just the screen door.

Tomorrow the two grand daughters are getting baptized. Have to think of where to get a real shower.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 am

Gran daughters had their baptism yesterday. Had a great time at the sons in laws.

Going to stay at the sons in laws again. Having the whole house to myself again for a week and a half. House sitting! Get the laundry done as a bonus as well.

This time their nice dog which was very sick and old has been put to sleep so I will be all alone. I liked that dog. Was thinking of getting one but don't think that is possible.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Ratkity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

Does one congratulate for a baptism? I know it's a special moment and I'm glad you were able to go.

Yay for housesitting! Sorry to hear of the old pup. Perhaps they'll get a new puppy for you to watch when they are away.

Are you getting hit by the newest storm going through?

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Ratkity wrote:Does one congratulate for a baptism? I know it's a special moment and I'm glad you were able to go.

Yay for housesitting! Sorry to hear of the old pup. Perhaps they'll get a new puppy for you to watch when they are away.

Are you getting hit by the newest storm going through?

Hugs,
Ratkity

Rain/sleet but talk is that 2-4 inches of snow tonight. Want to get he trailer up the hill b4 that happens.

They don't want another dog. I was always letting it in/out all the time. Now I stay just to make the house look lved in. Activity while they are gone.

It hows I can be trusted that's for sure.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Well back out of the house again and in the company parking lot. Always great to get a little house sitting in. Temps are real nice and once again during the day I don't have to use the furnace. Temps are going to stay in the 40+ I think the worst is over. For me it seemed like a mild winter. I have to admit though that I felt like I spent the winter in a ship that could have potential leaks but non appeared. Next year will be so much warmer. I just know it once I get the insulation in. This year was the furnace. Next year Solar.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm

We had high winds thunder storms all night sunday.
I thought if I can hear the rain and wind inside my house most times I can't then it must really be windy. It was I spent 45 minutes picking up trash from my drive, my front yard my neighbors yard poor ol' mobility scooter had a hard time getting through the wet ground. lots of tree limbs and smaller branches down all over the place.
I hope you missed the rain or at least didn't have any leaks.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 am

pete42 wrote:We had high winds thunder storms all night sunday.
I thought if I can hear the rain and wind inside my house most times I can't then it must really be windy. It was I spent 45 minutes picking up trash from my drive, my front yard my neighbors yard poor ol' mobility scooter had a hard time getting through the wet ground. lots of tree limbs and smaller branches down all over the place.
I hope you missed the rain or at least didn't have any leaks.
pete

Pete

Nop! No leaks!

Actually I am quite comfortable. I was in a stick house for the past nine days. I did sleep in a two inch memory foam for one night and it was a good night on the floor so I think I am getting one for the foam mattress I have. I think I will also cut the bed down to a twin size from a full. Give more floor room.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 pm

Temps are in the 50's today. They are to drop but well above winter as I just went through. It is always strange that when it gets into the above 30's I always feel more uncomfortable then when it is in the teens and twenties. I always feel much colder and uncomfortable. Makes me want to turn the furnace on more. Resist I must say. I really like the electric mattress pad and blankets over my back. April will by a year that I have been in the trailer. Is next year to be worse then this?

Looking now to get the riding mower going to start cutting grass. I would love to see the credit card come up from 40.00 to the limit of 2,000. Then save the rest for next years winter savings. It should be so much better.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion