Small Heater Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby 48Rob » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:34 am

I stand corrected! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby brian_bp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Another furnace mounting location, including the duct-through-galley option, might be to have it stick forward into a permanent tongue storage box, if you have (or want) one. Ideally, the box size (front-to-rear) would be just slightly more than the furnace depth (e.g. Suburban DD-17 min 22", NT-12 min 21"), and the outside intake/exhaust would be on the front of the box.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Small Heater Question

Postby rowerwet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:16 pm

This topic comes up every year, search old threads and you will find a few real solutions and a bunch of unproven ideas.
The proven methods_
_espar heaters, expensive, but since they are made to keep truck drivers alive, they work. Look on eBay and other places for used ones and expect to pay a couple hundred.
_Marine heaters, hold on to your wallet :money: anything marine costs two or three times what it would otherwise, also many of them require more space to heat safely than a tear will have inside. CT and TTT owners have dones some nice installs. Another item to watch for on Ebay/craigslist.
_camp/deer stand heaters, another idea that requires more space than a normal tear offers, but great for CT and TTT owners. Still not cheap, though more reasonable than marine stuff.
_bunk heaters, reasonably priced, also aimed at truck drivers, according to reports from users here, they will keep a reasonably insulated tear owner warm, and take a few nights to kill a battery.
_gravity heaters, known also as floor furnaces, quite common in TTs until they got too large and required a furnace with a fan. These pop up on eBay every so often and would work great mounted under the tear floor.
_zodi tent heater, eBay is your friend, they stopped making them since they could catch fire if the fan died, the website claims there is a new model coming.
_external heaters, there is a good thread on here where a guy made a propane heater that has a burner outside the tear. The heated air runs through a pipe that runs through one window and out the window on the other side. It works for ice fishing in northern winters, not sure I want to sleep with that going.
_candle box heater, a cookie tin or four stuck to the wall of the tear, since the combustion air is isolated from inside it is a safe design, the jury is out on actual heat gain.
_candle heaters, some claim they work, however you could be breathing the wax that vaporizes above the flame.
_one guy has a tiny wood stove that sits in a box that replaces one door, the stove does not burn all night, it must be reloaded every couple hours...
_unsafe heat, propane unvented heaters, Sterno cans, etc. They consume the oxygen and give off carbon monooxide, it may not kill you right away, but CO builds up in your blood and will give you flu like symptoms, damage your brain and nervous system, and takes many days to get out of your system (you have to grow new red blood cells)

these are all meant to be free of the grid, generators, or inverters. a normal tear can be heated perfectly and safely with a small ceramic heater.

The real issue is insulation, if you don't have it you won't be comfortable. Insulation is good for keeping heat out in warm months, needed for winter camping, and great for controlling noise. With enough insulation two bodies can heat a tear.
Last edited by rowerwet on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:53 pm

I have a cargo trailer conversion… and I am thinking about heat, and I don't know what to do. It has a bit more space than a tear to heat up. 6.5 by 12, but as it is space is at a premium. With plug, in a little ceramic heater is the simple answer, but most often we won't have that option.
Last edited by Fenlason on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:01 am

I have thought of those, but I don't really know where I would put it, and it seems as if they put out much more heat than I need.

I have looked at the small diesel heaters

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/air-top-2000-st-diesel-12v-heater-with-diy-kit-743371/4,60098.html I could mount it outside.. but the price scares me a little. :frightened:

If I more frequently needed heat it might not be as much of an issue.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby bc toys » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 am

no body mentioned floor radiant heat just put the mat down on floor and plug it in cover it with plywood and it heats the trailer.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 am

How about something like this? Small, simple, lots of heat in a short time. 4000-6000 BTU output, propane & pretty simple to mount & vent. Not sure I'd want one here in Arizona, at least not in the summer...

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sig-marin ... er--237412

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:39 am

bc toys wrote:no body mentioned floor radiant heat just put the mat down on floor and plug it in cover it with plywood and it heats the trailer.

bc,

Actually I have considered a hydronic system. I mentioned I would think about it in earlier forums. I installed one in my home 10 years ago and love it. Had the contractor put the tubing in and I did all the design and installation work myself, including building the manifolds. Have wrestled with how to do it in my CT which I picked up yesterday.

I added extra height in my trailer so I could have an insulated floor which also allows me to run 1/2" PEX. With a good hydronic heating source, it would not be that hard to do.

But the main issue to me is how to insulate the floor further so as not to loose too much heat downwards to the cold air underneath the trailer. I have a couple of ideas to think about such as 2" exterior under floor insulation and a reflecting screen under the insulation inside. Both options are doable.

With an Attwood heater with the built-in heater coil (designed for vehicle radiator pre heating)' a low volume and low amp drawing circulating pump and a decision whether to use an anti-freeze for the heating fluid or to just use regular water and drain it during now use cold weather.

The jury is still out on whether I will use it or not. I must decide this week as I am starting my trailer very shortly.

Then there is the hydronic idea of Jerry (OTTCT) using a water tank as a radiant heater. I am still planning on giving that a test this week.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 am

[quote="noseoil"]How about something like this? Small, simple, lots of heat in a short time. 4000-6000 BTU output, propane & pretty simple to mount & vent. Not sure I'd want one here in Arizona, at least not in the summer...

There is a reason for the low oxygen shutoff in that this heater is NOT fully vented(fully vented=outside air for combustion) It will deplete the oxygen in the teardrop. It is important it have oxygen to breath when you are sleeping after the heater shuts off !
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:25 pm

bc toys wrote:no body mentioned floor radiant heat just put the mat down on floor and plug it in cover it with plywood and it heats the trailer.

For myself.. this would require access to a hook up. [which is often a problem for me] It sounds fairly complex vs the ceramic heater I already own. Although I have contemplated a wall mount radiant heater.. but again the 110 issue. :shrug:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:50 pm

KennethW wrote:
noseoil wrote:How about something like this? Small, simple, lots of heat in a short time. 4000-6000 BTU output, propane & pretty simple to mount & vent. Not sure I'd want one here in Arizona, at least not in the summer...

There is a reason for the low oxygen shutoff in that this heater is NOT fully vented(fully vented=outside air for combustion) It will deplete the oxygen in the teardrop. It is important it have oxygen to breath when you are sleeping after the heater shuts off !

yeah.. that one would make me nervous.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby GerryS » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 pm

I think anything that produces ANY exhaust worries me in a TD.....there's just zer margin of error. It's my experience a heated blanket, mattress pad, or the smallest of ceramic heaters are adequate short of conditions I probably don't want to be out in is adequate. Maybe I'm just not that hard core.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:28 am

GerryS wrote:I think anything that produces ANY exhaust worries me in a TD.....there's just zer margin of error. It's my experience a heated blanket, mattress pad, or the smallest of ceramic heaters are adequate short of conditions I probably don't want to be out in is adequate. Maybe I'm just not that hard core.

I use my trailer mostly for mountain bike racing. In doing endurance races.. one can get wet and cold.. and need to change. Doing that in a cold trailer is not that comfortable.

If I was just camping.. the extra blankets to sleep in would work fine.

I have contemplated the hot water heater idea also.

I need to decide how much heat I need. For my current use.. it is not that much. If we start getting some decent winter snow racing. I will need some "serious" heat. :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I am finding some nice direct vent propane heaters. Physically small as well as a small enough BTU output. Some that don't require electricity at all.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Duplicate post and bad links
Last edited by Rainier70 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion