Group Huddle

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:02 pm

First -- DON'T Show them to anybody before you have the copyright mark in place. That means don't post pics (even here: thieves are watching the whole Web all the time) as well.

Next, you can get a copyright request underway by phone or letter.
Magazines already have them -- if y'all really wanna pop this Les Lea guy, report him to Popular Mechanics. They're still selling copies of their teardrop trailer plans. I bet they'd be interested (or their lawyers would) in his infringement on their market, eh?

Mike, IANAL but I used to work with one every day (and trust me: for a copy editor, trying to make a legible document out of microbiological contamination estimates and treatment options filtered thru an Aussie PhD, an HVAC contractor, an architect, a brand-new US PhD who had retired as a captain in a fire department, THEN a lawyer, was a daily exercise in linguistic contortions an order of magnitude beyond anything resembling fun...I'm almost relieved to have been laid off!) and I think YOU are particularly at risk to this turkey, especially with the Weekender(s) because they are unique to your site.

If you know an attorney who is conversant with this stuff where you live, get hold of same asap would be my advice ... and y'all, registering at Ebay so you can post comments about this guy is a freebie. Go to his auctions and post questions asking him why he's selling other people's copyrighted materials and whether they're being paid the royalties they deserve. You can also leave negative feedback for him JUST BECAUSE HE DID THAT!

:thumbsup:

anything that puts a hitch in his get-along will be a step towards shutting him down. Private emails to his bidders will eventually force him to start protecting their identities ... yes, it's a PITA to do this but it's what you' ll need to go thru as Ebay isn't going to do anything themselves.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby John Foote » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Ok,
I've got another question...which should help out many of us.
Obviously there's got to be more than just putting the "C in the circle" copyright mark on an image, right?

Actually, no. Here... http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci

As I understand it (which is to say, very little...) that `C in a circle' is about it. In effect it says in shorthand, `This is my intellectual property, not yours. I retain ownership rights, and I'm serious about enforcing them. Keep your mitts off it, or else.' But apparently, you retain copyright whether you put the little C there or not.

It's utility comes after the fact. Once some idiot lifts your stuff without prior consent and/or compensation, you can hammer them with it. Given that little C, and some supporting documentation of the fact that you are the true owner (through original files that you can produce and he cannot), they are pretty much defenseless in any courtroom you care to take them to. The question is, will it be worth your considerable trouble? In most cases, I'm guessing not (depending of course, on the depth of their pockets). You probably won't see a dime, BUT, you will definitely be in a position to ruin a month or three of the thief's life, to the point where they'll think long and hard before they ever do that again.
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:36 pm

thanks for that site!
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:29 pm

I'll be adding the little c to all my photos with jalbum.

I've also got other new ideas which I'll protect with watermarking and copyright protection. I knew some people that used to use that as a second source of income. And why not! You steal. You pay! It's that easy!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:38 am

Mike,
I added the copyright symbol and "Copyright 2005" next to it on my Album pics.
To not disuade members (Guests can not view albums) from using my drawings as an aid with their teardrop projects,
I included this cursor hover tag.
(Let me know what you think)

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:27 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Mike,
To not disuade members (Guests can not view albums) from using my drawings as an aid with their teardrop projects,

Dean,

For a copy right you need to include your name. You don't need the word "Copyright" though. Just the little c is all you need, and of course the year, like you have!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Mike,

That's cool! How'd you do that?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:41 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:Steve,
That's cool! How'd you do that?

It's a feature that's already in the Album, I just put that information in the Pic Description box while uploading the image. You can go back and do it later with images that are already uploaded by clicking on Edit.

Postby Erik-the-red » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:38 pm

I like the idea of buying one of his CDs, mass producing it, and then selling it for one cent on ebay! Undercut the bastard and he will move on.
Erik-the-red
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:28 pm

Love that hover message. :lol:
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby teetom » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:46 am

like my daddy used to say, locks are for honest people. teetom
teetom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:08 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Ok,
I've got another question...which should help out many of us.
Obviously there's got to be more than just putting the "C in the circle" copyright mark on an image, right?
What steps must one take to follow through with to get an image copyrighted?
What about getting a design or a set of plans copyrighted?

Dean I do not know that much about water marks

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSK222/ks13505/

fotosearch uses them. try first click on the photo then print this photo and watch copywrite show on print. You might even put other words the legal folks can tell you what.

Ron D.
Last edited by Ron Dickey on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:53 pm

Dean I do not know that much about water marks

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSK222/ks13505/

fotosearch uses them. try first click on the photo then print this photo and watch copywrite show on print. You might even put other words the legal folks can tell you what.

Ron D.

Those are watermarks. At least the digital ones. Pretty simple to do, a lot of photo editing programs will put them in for you.
Don't remember exactly which ones offhand, I've got too many of them.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

GREAT NEWS

Postby Guy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:24 am

Tinytears.cc has just scored a coup. In order to stop all the copyright infringement of their teardrop plans, photos, etc. AND everybody else they have put an item on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1467&item=5559174580&rd=1

Its "ALL THE TEARDROP PLANS ON EBAY FOR $1.75"

What a great thing they have done for the community and the popularization of teardrops.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:32 am

OK, here is the simple fact. There is nothing, and I mean nothing you can do to prevent image theft on the net.
Some people have mentioned embedding you images in flash, or embedding watermark and security information in the file. None of it works.
All it takes is a simple screen capture and all that protection vanishes.
Even visible watermarks right across the image are not much of a challenge to a skilled graphic artist.
I have been in the computer industry since '83 and have been a certified photoshop expert for the past 8 years. If I really wanted something, nothing could stop me.
All you can do is follow up after the thefts and attempt to sue for recovery.
Keep proof that all work on your own site is really yours. If you shoot film, keep negatives and reciepts showing the date of processing.
If you shoot digital back your work up to a non rewritable CD whenever you are about to release new material.
I spent the first two years of my internet carreer engagin in heavy image theft until I finally got sued for $300,000
Because of the scketchy online copyright laws of the time I won the suit and promised myself to be on the up and up. I then went to work for Larry Flynt Publications hunting down image thieves, and finally opened my own photo studio to sell legal material to adult websites.
After being the victim of image theft and having to sue a company (which then declared bankruptcy) I got out of that business all together.
Now if I post and image or drawing on the net I do so with the knowledge that somebody, somewhere will steal it.
If I catch them I do not even try to sue anymore. I threaten it and have my attorney (a.k.a. my cousin the accident lawyer) send them a letter demanding payment, printed credit, or removal. Most people will go ahead and give me proper credit and I drop it there.
So do not sweat the thefts. If you do not want it stolen, do not post it.
It is like walking away from a running car; chances are somebody will jump in and take it.
Nothing, I repeat, nothing is theft proof.
As for selling stolen and copyrighted material on ebay; It is easy as can be to make a quick profit under completely fake information and then vanish. They think they are being cautious by asking for bank accounts and credit cards. Hey what do you think people do with all those identities they steal?
I am an honest and upright citizen these days (especially since getting married) and if some piece of work is truly important to me, I do not put it on the net and I get it copyrighted.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion