Outdoor Side Table

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Outdoor Side Table

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:37 pm

planovet wrote:I like that a LOT! :applause:

Me too! Adding my :applause: They look very practical. Beautiful. Fun. Almost suggesting a happy time in Margaritaville.:relaxing:

You say they swivel? Would like to see how the underside of the table looks to get a better idea how they're constructed, and work. Might that be the (missing) 3rd picture? :thinking:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun May 11, 2014 9:38 pm

working on it wrote:
working on it wrote:Like Planovet
I am hesitant to muck up my sides :lol:
I didn't want more holes in the side (although my finish is not comparable to his, I still have too many holes there already). So, I wanted to attach a table to the metal frame, also removable. I had some legs left from a cheap computer desk I was throwing away, and I re-purposed them by adding plywood I cut to fit my Coleman stove. I added another surface to hold cooking stuff as well. The two pieces of wood are mounted by thumbscrews to the legs, and then the rear legs drop into the eyebolts I mounted on both rear sides of the trailer (use the side you want to avoid wind, sun, or disturbing others). For added stability, just wrap a bungee around the adjacent pipe-clamp stabilizer and/or attach the (not shown) leg spreader/brace to the front legs. Knockdown/assembly time 5 minutes. Weight < 10 lbs.. Stores inside with the mattress folded over it and the cooler stand (also re-purposed material). If needed, the cook stand can be used away from the trailer; the cooler stand is totally free-standing. Here are photos: 108141108140108138108142108143108149108150108151108152108153105193105194107314 Details are in my gallery.

UPDATE> 8/25/13> I finally had room to mount and test the side table cooking stand, when I was making my lantern hangers.(I did have to drill two more holes, alas). Here it is: 111493111495
UPDATE: 5/11/14 Here I go again...not happy with the easily assembled cookstand I built, though handy, it requires 10 minutes assembly time, and 12 pieces to do so. I didn't even assemble it on my last trip (I was lazy, after a very hard month before at work). So, I looked around the garage (again digging into my stockpile of pieces not used on this trailer or other projects-I did the same yesterday on my generator stabilizer), and came up with aluminum angle stock, T-Slot Tracks and bolts, and a 1/2"x12"x 48" pine plank. I cut the plank into two table tops, painted them, then attached to the T-Slot Tracks. I bolted the T-Slot bolts to the angle (locking them at the proper alignment), cut off the excess bolt length, cut recesses into the sidewall to fit them, used three carriage bolts per side thru the wall, and used PL adhesive to seal it up. Test fit, and hung the tops up to dry. I'll make the underside braces next weekend (aluminum flat stock, bent into a [ shape, to rest on the tire). I chose to use aluminum angle as the permanently-mounted piece on the sidewall, because it matches my home-made rain deflectors above/around the door. I still plan to use the cookstand, but for quick attachment, the small side tables go on in a second!
aluminum angle assembly.jpg
aluminum angle assembly.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 682 times
T-Slot, aluminum angle test fit.jpg
T-Slot, aluminum angle test fit.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 682 times
T-Slot, aluminum angle side table sans brace.jpg
T-Slot, aluminum angle side table sans brace.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 682 times
UPDATE: 5/17/14 as stated, I needed to add some bracing underneath the side tables...which I made from 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar (I wanted 1/4" thick, but HD was out). Good enough for testing, though.120260
Last edited by working on it on Sat May 17, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Breytie » Mon May 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Building a weekender causes some interesting problems (opportunities?) and solutions curvy designs do not have.
I want drawers in the galley but sealing a bunch of em will be a pain. So I am working toward a simple flat panel upper hatch and a removable downward opening lower hatch. Once removed it may just as as well serve a second purpose as a counter/table attached to the side.
Currently I am stuck due to equipment breakdown :cry: and a bad case of analisys paralasys :oops:. But once I get going this will be tried and tested.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion