What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 am

bdosborn wrote:I picked up our new 2021 Ford Transit cargo van today. I shall become a hippie and move into the van.

Bruce

Cool Bruce! My uncle did that in March. He just got back from a trip to Maine (from Rochester NY), and joined us at Letchworth State Park. He is enjoying it so far.

Think he may join us down in New Mexico for awhile this Winter when the weather gets cold in the North.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:02 pm

bobhenry wrote:So you are installing a shower it seems ! :thinking:

You betcha.

Waiting on delivery of the hose, but as soon as it arrives, the run from the pump to the 1/2" hose will get completed, and the run from the output to the Ensuite will get finished as well as replacing the exisitng Ensuite plumbing.

Still need the Y fittings, but those are not a major priority right now.

Need to figure out safe propane manifild / distribution design. I need to be able to connect the water heater, Buddy Heater, and Coleman stove to the propane tank. I can use a distribution post, but that is kind of hokey. Might just consider doing a 3 way propane splitter https://amzn.to/36XWpLV or something similar that supports both QCC and POL, but I was hoping for one that had a gas shutoff at each outlet. I do have a 2 way splitter, but would rather not keep swapping out splitters.

I could really use some good safe insight into gas distribution.

So today. Did a quick and dirty mockup of some 1x2s I had laying around to give me a skeltal view of a potential design. Basically height, width, and length.

I'm definately going to need to extend fully over hte tailgate, and leave the tailgate down. Not a big concern, but there it is.

Seriously needo to rework the idea for a full time open tailgate design. This would give me room to get in / out of the bed instead of crawling half asleep over the tailgate... And it is looking like an overcab is in order for storage anyway. Doing the placeholders and I will absolutely need stowage for clothes and bedding in the couch mode...

Pulling some floor molding that got damaged in the master closet along with the sheet rock near that. (smashed). Getting ready to patch that up, and replace the modling... Bleh...

Getting prepped for the work week coming up. Looks like it will be a busy one. Good...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Cool Bruce! My uncle did that in March.

Your uncle became a hippie? Ha! :lol:
Thanks Tom, looking forward to the build. Already got parts coming from Amazon. Gotta figure out how to get up the nerve to drill holes in a brand new van. :cry:
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 pm

A thirty-year propane installation guy that's a good friend helped me with this:

I had to use two different regulators since one of my appliances needed a special high-pressure regulator. But you should be able to rig up a manifold with 3/8" pipe fittings and just one regulator near the tank.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:47 am

tony.latham wrote:

A thirty-year propane installation guy that's a good friend helped me with this:

I had to use two different regulators since one of my appliances needed a special high-pressure regulator. But you should be able to rig up a manifold with 3/8" pipe fittings and just one regulator near the tank.

Tony

Nice work!

I am wondering if I am better off with CI or copper pipe. Things like that. CI would be easier to deal with in many ways, in others, not so much like cutting to length....

The water heater / shower requires a regulator inline, the Buddy Heater, and Stove however, not so much...

Debating between doing a full on plumb job with a 20lb tank, propane heater, water heater, and stove, or Using a 5lb bottle dedicated to the water heater and sticking with my gasoline / white gas stove and heater.

I could also use a Steak Saver and 1lb bottles for the shower.

Advantages are many both ways. My primary issue would be insuring I have fuel, and not sucking up undue amounts of space, or weight in my rig.

I'm honestly no fan of 1lb green propane bottles, but I like the fact that propane stove burners are independent of each other, and typically are matched output wise.

Working on the design further. Where to put the appliances, and the fuel tank?

The high today will be close to 100 with over 90% RH, no chance I am going to be size test fitting anything today. Too hot...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 am

I am wondering if I am better off with CI or copper pipe.

I can't recommend rubber propane line too much. I think it's the way to go. Plan A was black pipe. I have no idea how many fittings --and potential leak points–– I avoided. (At one point I did because I bought the pipe and fittings and had it roughed in. It was right out of a Rube Goldberg sketch.) Not to mention the potential failure from vibration.

Debating between doing a full on plumb job with a 20lb tank, propane heater, water heater, and stove,

We use propane from the 11-pound tank for two appliances; the Partner cookstove, and the Propex heater. I've been teardropping for nearly two decades but only the last three with a heater. I'm surprised how much we use it. We're over thirty nights of camping this year and did roughly the same last year. That 11-pound tank lasts about six weeks of camping for us.

Any propane business can make up rubber hose with fittings for whatever length you need. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:13 pm

DBHostTexas and Tony, thanks for this info. I installed an 11 lb propane tank from an ‘86 VW Vanagon under my trailer last year, but I’m still at about a half a tank on my first fill. I also use it for cooking (and heating water for showers on the stove) and the Propex heater. It’s good to have some idea of how far 11 lbs of propane will go.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 am

tony.latham wrote:
I am wondering if I am better off with CI or copper pipe.

I can't recommend rubber propane line too much. I think it's the way to go. Plan A was black pipe. I have no idea how many fittings --and potential leak points–– I avoided. (At one point I did because I bought the pipe and fittings and had it roughed in. It was right out of a Rube Goldberg sketch.) Not to mention the potential failure from vibration.

Debating between doing a full on plumb job with a 20lb tank, propane heater, water heater, and stove,

We use propane from the 11-pound tank for two appliances; the Partner cookstove, and the Propex heater. I've been teardropping for nearly two decades but only the last three with a heater. I'm surprised how much we use it. We're over thirty nights of camping this year and did roughly the same last year. That 11-pound tank lasts about six weeks of camping for us.

Any propane business can make up rubber hose with fittings for whatever length you need. :thumbsup:

Tony

The decision ponts are for the truck bed foamie / camper shell camper build, and they are...

#1. What size propane tank to haul to provide fuel for stove, heater, and water heater? 20lb are easiest to come by and super affordable, BUT.... they are also rather bulky. I probably just have to bite the bullet.
#2. Where and how to mount / contain the propane bottle.
#3. How to get propane out of the bottle, and distributed both inside, and outside the camper. And selectively between 2 to 3 outputs depending on time of year and weather. I RARELY use the heater, but when I need it, I need it...
#4. Especially in winter, I like having gas / propane lanterns in the kitchen / dining area as it helps heat it up so we aren't shivering as we eat... But I do NOT want my lanterns tethered. Probably just use my dual fuels for this as that would be the easiest to deal with.

I am scouring here, and Expedition Portal for ideas on this, but I want basically a 270 degree awning on the camper that is partially enclosable using some Ozark Trail shade walls. The idea being that I can make an effective kitchen area away from winds and rain, without having to haul the EZ Up....

Oh, and my next batch of tubing for the shower comes in today. I am taking the silicone out of the shower tent, swapping in the hi temp transluscent red vinyl stuff, along with the fittings, shower head etc... to adapt this to the Camplux shower head, then a quick disconnect, and on the other side, as soon as the male barb x hose thread fittings come in will make up the custom hose for the connection to the heater so it all clicks together. I may have ordered 1 too few of the male thread fittings though to cover coming over from the pump. Ooops...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:54 am

lfhoward wrote:DBHostTexas and Tony, thanks for this info. I installed an 11 lb propane tank from an ‘86 VW Vanagon under my trailer last year, but I’m still at about a half a tank on my first fill. I also use it for cooking (and heating water for showers on the stove) and the Propex heater. It’s good to have some idea of how far 11 lbs of propane will go.

I know cooking on the stove is pretty light fuel usage wise.

I never considered an old Westfalia tank. I wouldn't think a tank that old could still be used..

Not a horrible idea though....
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby noseoil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:28 am

No propane here on this post, but we did get the concrete obelisk placed in our yard. I made the mold for a friend earlier this year, but it's taken a while to get one located & plugged into the ground here at the house. He's made a few now & they're working pretty well. This one is a "blem" in that it's broken at the tip. No problems, I mixed up some thickened epoxy, set a blob under the fracture & re-set the point. Once it was gelled & still soft, trimmed it with a putty knife & it's good to go. He's using a different system for reinforcement at the point now & it's working pretty well.

Hopefully, the USPS mail carrier & UPS won't be running wide now, when they make their turns. If they do, it's going to be a bumpy ride when they try to run over this hunk of concrete. It's carrying a nice length of #5 rebar inside & weighs a few hundred pounds...

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 am

dbhosttexas wrote:I know cooking on the stove is pretty light fuel usage wise.

I never considered an old Westfalia tank. I wouldn't think a tank that old could still be used..

Not a horrible idea though....

The tank is ASME certified for a motorhome, so it will last as long as it is taken care of and doesn't need periodic recertification like a DOT tank. It was in good shape when I got it, but I repainted it and replaced all the original valves with brand new high quality valves. The propane professional who inspected the tank before filling it said it was in great shape and done right. No leaks or concerns. He also said he doesn't hesitate to refuse to fill old tanks if they look sketchy. He said he had the stories. :frightened:
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 am

noseoil wrote:No propane here on this post, but we did get the concrete obelisk placed in our yard. I made the mold for a friend earlier this year, but it's taken a while to get one located & plugged into the ground here at the house. He's made a few now & they're working pretty well. This one is a "blem" in that it's broken at the tip. No problems, I mixed up some thickened epoxy, set a blob under the fracture & re-set the point. Once it was gelled & still soft, trimmed it with a putty knife & it's good to go. He's using a different system for reinforcement at the point now & it's working pretty well.

Hopefully, the USPS mail carrier & UPS won't be running wide now, when they make their turns. If they do, it's going to be a bumpy ride when they try to run over this hunk of concrete. It's carrying a nice length of #5 rebar inside & weighs a few hundred pounds...

So now we know who placed those obelisks in the Utah desert last year! :lol:
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am

I made the mold...

Tim:

That must be a curious-looking mold. Got a pic?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

bdosborn wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:Cool Bruce! My uncle did that in March.

Your uncle became a hippie? Ha! :lol:
Thanks Tom, looking forward to the build. Already got parts coming from Amazon. Gotta figure out how to get up the nerve to drill holes in a brand new van. :cry:

In my experience, Vietnam era vets like him make some of the best hippies! :)

My uncle is trying to figure out how to ventilate his van a little better. For some reason, he doesn't want to cut a big square hole in the roof and stick a fan on there. (I don't blame him!)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 am

tony.latham wrote:
I made the mold...

Tim:

That must be a curious-looking mold. Got a pic?

Tony

I've wondered how they did these guys:

is it a mold process like the obelisks? We have quite a few around these parts; I haven't looked close enough to be sure they are twins, but they are close. (They happened to have been on the winning side of history, so no one wants to take them down.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion