11# Propane questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:23 am

As I have noted in other discussions, I prefer Coleman hoses. I had an off-brand.. no idea who made it... that caused two fires in my cooking equipment. With the first one I assumed I had made a poor connection. I replaced it with a Coleman hose after the second event and never had another problem. I never cooked in the galley, always on a separate table.

Does anyone make use of the old style propane tanks? I am guessing they can be retro fitted with a current connector. I have one with a very tall "collar" that came off my 1960 trailer.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:00 am

OPD/POL valves run about $20 to $25 range..... Labor charge may or may not be issue retrofitting tank - PERSONALLY, I WOULD LEAVE THIS PROCESS TO PROFESSIONAL .... New tanks start around $30 range.... Unless you absolutely need specific tank design, I think getting new tank is best advice...

NOTE SAFETIC NOTIFICATION ON SITE:

BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER, PLEASE READ THIS!

Any work performed on propane tanks must be performed by qualified personel trained to recertify propane tanks. Check with your propane supplier for proper training or go to National Propane Gas Association.

http://www.kingssupply.com/cat6_1.htm

Another issue is tanks are supposed to be pressure tested every 12 years, Its supposed to be illegal to fill tank that is out or date... I had one tank in past that could not be filled because it was outdated. Using $20 tank exchange services removes most of the hassles of dealing with tank "specifications" (dates-valve type) ..

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:29 am

Dale M. wrote:OPD/POL valves run about $20 to $25 range..... Labor charge may or may not be issue retrofitting tank - PERSONALLY, I WOULD LEAVE THIS PROCESS TO PROFESSIONAL .... New tanks start around $30 range.... Unless you absolutely need specific tank design, I think getting new tank is best advice...

Not an issue or problem for me. I have had CO2 tanks recertified back in my beer making days. I am happy with modern tanks but someone might want to use these for the full restoration look.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Dale M. wrote:Easy way to tell how much liquid is in tank is to boil a quart or two of water... Then dribble it slowly over side of tank.... It will warm area of tank above liquid level, by running hand down tank side you can feel level where liquid is, that is most accurate method of "field" testing tank.... Its the liquid level that is indicator of how full tank actually is.

Dale

awesome, great idea. Thanks!
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby dewayne » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:16 am

Hy to all. I have a 11lb tank that was my dads that I remember him having in Melbourne Mo. at Circle B campgrounds in the early 60's. I took it down to my local gas and welding supply yesterday and they said they would replace the valve with a new type valve and fill it for $21.00. so I left it with them, I'll pick it up today. This is going to be my main tank for my tear with a 1lb backup connection also. :) :) :thinking:

dewayne
Pay it forward and the world would be a better place.
dewayne
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 am

Since we're talking about propane tanks, here's my situation: I have two very old 20 lb. tanks, each about half full. They have the old style valves on top. I modified a hose so I could use those tanks to feed my portable gas grill. I fired it up yesterday with one of the old tanks and it quit in a few minutes. It turns out that the valve on top of the tank stopped working. So now I have an old, rusting, half full tank with a valve that won't let any gas out! How can I get rid of it safely and legally? Does someone take old tanks and empty them? The local building supply place where I had it filled doesn't want it. Help!
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 am

Sam, I don't know how it is up there is sunny Pa, but down here, there is a propane exchange(usually Blue Rhino) at just about every box store, hardware, grocery store, most gas stations, heck even WalGreens Drugs has one...then there are a half dozen (or so) bulk propane distributors in the area...all of them will take an old tank in exchange...some for free...some for fee....YMMV
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 pm

WOW I learn something new every day. Right now I have 2 full 20# tanks stored in my garage attached to the house. Sounds like I need to move them outdoors. Thanks for the heads up before I blow up.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 pm

MJ is right on, I upgraded all my tanks at Home Depot with Blue Rhino. I paid a little more than I would to fill an empty tank but it was well worth it. There was one I was sure they would not accept but no problem at all.
The worst that can happen is you take the same bad one back home.
If you can find a propane service store, not just a fill spot, they should be able to drain the tanks if that is all you need.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Gambam » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:21 pm

local gas station has a blue rino cage and they exchange for new tanks no question asked. I have taken 5 old tanks to them they exchanged them for the same price as if it was a new style valve.
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll check some more stores. I just want to be rid of the container. It scares me sitting next to my garage waiting to explode! :shock:
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:59 am

Sam I am wrote: So now I have an old, rusting, half full tank with a valve that won't let any gas out! How can I get rid of it safely and legally?

Incendiary round. Oh, never mind I see you said safely and legally.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:30 am

Final step,

I got a 5# tank and a adapter hose by 'Mr. Heater' at a local Camping world store. Tested it out with the stove yesterday, worked fine!

Thanks to all for the propane 'seminar'!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to General Discussion