Small Heater Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Small Heater Question

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I know of several vented heater setups that will work for off road camping. These are more for cargo trailers, but I think they might work in some of the larger teardrops too. The rv furnace would be fairly easy to squeeze into a td camper since it needs very little clearance room.

One is the Dickinson line of boat heaters. They use very little floor space, heat well, are quiet, and use either no battery or very little depending on if you turn the small fan on. Here is a store link to some of them: http://www.go2marine.com/search.do?q=di ... ch_button=

Here is a thread on the propane Dickinson installed in a 6x12 cargo trailer.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56858

Great stove.

Another is a 12,000 btu rv furnace such as the Atwood Everest Star 8012. The small ones like this use less battery power than the bigger ones, but it still does use about 2 amp hours. It also needs to be permanently installed which either takes up floor space if you haul bikes, or it can be installed on a lower shelf. There is still the fan cycling noise problem that many with rv furnaces complain of. Here is an example from one store:
http://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-evere ... -8605.html

Here is one installed in a 5x8 cargo: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33848&p=608475#p608475

Another is a Nuway 2000 propane stove: http://www.nuwaystove.com/model2000.php
Which is also used in large tents.

No fan use, but does take up floor space. It can be permanently installed or can be installed as removable for hauling. It does use cabin air for combustion so a small vent should be open. (vent should be open anyway for condensation etc) Here is one installed (look about halfway down the page) viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&start=45

Hope these help.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:42 am

Thank you Cindy :thumbsup: :bowdown:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby rowerwet » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 am

slowcowboy wrote:I am thinking of heating with a furnace the type they are using in a fancy normal class a motor home and what they use in the comon mans fight wheel rv trailer or the normal pop up camper trailer.

slow

from what I've read, the power requirements are hard on a battery, and the fan is noisy, For a tear they will be overkill IMO
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:09 am

slowcowboy wrote:I acutlally got a older furnace out of a pop up camper that doesnt have a fan and doesnt use 12 volt juice just propane and its a good size furnace it was desinged for a popup camper and is a suburban. I wont have to worrry about power if I use it. just got to get the thermocuple adjusted right so the pilot wll stay lite. my stove pipe heator or the radent one from the 50s uses no juice ether and it will run you out of any camper!

slow

That is one of the considerations to think about when choosing a heater. You [or most people anyways] don't want a heater that "drives you out of the camper" .

The ideal is one that is sized for your heat needs. It will run better and more efficiently.

Some people don't find a hot air furnace noisy others do. I don't have a furnace in my house, spending nights in our friends camper every time the furnace came on, it woke me. :shrug:

While something like that might work great for some people, it is not what I want. Between what I have found, and others here have graciously suggested, there are other great options.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Free Heat With 'Astrofoil'

Postby Engineer Guy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:33 am

I used 'Astrofoil' throughout our Solar-run Retirement House, including above the Attic Space. I use scraps of it while Camping.

What the Manufacturer calls 'R+Heatshield' is Aluminum sputtered onto a sort of un-tearable 'Tyvek' Envelope material. A 'Space Blanket', if you will. Indestructible. I use it under my Camping Trailer Mattress. I've also used it at >9,000' in the Rockies in an un-insulated Shed into which I built a Murphy Bed. In moderate temps, it can go under a Mattress. In colder Fall temps, I've used it directly under a Bed Bottom Sheet. You can roast from only Body Heat if you have too many Top Covers on you. Meanwhile, I've seen my breath in freezing temps inside while we're quite comfortable. Until you get up. Starting Coffee in these Camping conditions was my job. A scrap piece is a great way to keep, say, a Dutch Oven Meal warm after cooking.

I use Magnets to hold a scrap of R+Heatshield 'Foil' against my SUV with Magnets. When you face the Sun while sitting in front of it, it makes for a nice 'Warm Zone'/Windbreak. I use a scrap behind my Solar-heated Shower made from a black Garden Pump. I throw a piece over our Legs, or you can sit on a scrap piece. See it at the Link below in Roof Application '#1'.

The other material with 'Bubble Pack' in the center is what I used under our House Walls. My Contractor had never heard of this material >1 Decade ago. He used it in his own House, and now recommends it to his Clients. This material is about an 'R-6', based on Infrared reflection + dead Air effect within the Bubble Pack.

A similar material is sold at the Big Box Stores under the name 'Reflectix'. It is the Bubble Pack-type material. The 'bubbles' break, of course, under use. So, I use the 'R+Heatshield' material w/o 'bubbles'.

These reflective material principles are used on Space Vehicles to keep Satellite Electronics and Humans from 'fatal' Solar Heat levels.

Astrofoil Website

-----
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby johnnail » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:39 pm

johnnail
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:26 pm

I hope you don't sleep with the little buddy. It can be a killer. Never sleep with a non fully vented heater. Sadly every year in Minnesota during ice fishing a family learns the hard way. Stay safe.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Slow, I like the propane radiate tube heater. It fills all of my criteria. Fully vented,Uses no floor space, the hot part is by the ceiling so it can't melt things, easy to put to gather, low cost and no battery power used and light weight.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:19 pm

http://www.hampshireheaters.co.uk/index.html another great option fairly new to the market, a guy on a boatbuilding site got one of these, it makes great heat and uses no power. He gets about 10 hours from a load of charcoal. I hope they get a dealer in the US soon.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm

:thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 pm

rowerwet wrote:http://www.hampshireheaters.co.uk/index.html another great option fairly new to the market, a guy on a boatbuilding site got one of these, it makes great heat and uses no power. He gets about 10 hours from a load of charcoal. I hope they get a dealer in the US soon.

I like that stove. Do not like the price. I wonder what it would be if not made in "Marine stainless steel"?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:43 am

I used a simple little buddy propane heater for years in a tent u just put a tarp over tent to hold heat in worked well at times had to turn it off it got too hot inside I figure that's what I'm going to use and that once fired up and temp gets right I can leave just the pilot light on and keep the tear warm with just pilot light that would extend little 1 lb bottle to last all night but of course I'm going to plumb for a 20 lb bottle and also it just hangs on the wall out if the way and can be removed for summer time use of tear
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:08 am

KennethW wrote:I hope you don't sleep with the little buddy. It can be a killer. Never sleep with a non fully vented heater. Sadly every year in Minnesota during ice fishing a family learns the hard way. Stay safe.

In a tent you have air moving thru. No so in a teardrop. Read the warning tag or you will DIE.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion