I finally have curtains

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

q for Laredo

Postby tearhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:29 am

Laredo--a follow-up question. I actually had thought of doing this--shade separate from liner to have the option of tying/rolling the light blocking liner up and then leaving the placemat/beach mat able to be left down for light filtering. Was this why you were recommending doing them as separate layers rather than bonded/sewn together?

For those thinking about fading (which is a given), I would recommend using the same type of fabric that's used for drapery lining, like a light colored muslin, broadcloth, or canvas as the backer that would be closest to the glass. Fading would be less noticeable.

On the other hand, if you don't line and it fades, we're talking about a couple of little tiny projects here and you could just plan on replacing every so often with some other jazzy new fabric.

I'll get these done when I can (recovering from bunion surgery which is why I'm inside on the computer on a beautiful summer Sunday!) and post photos. :O
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby EffieRover » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am

Hmmm. Cheap fabric, lined, for curtains. Got it. Still have to buy some upholstery stuff for cushions (building a standie), but that helps. Thanks :)
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Simple Roll-up and Tie Shades

Postby tearhead » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Well, I abandoned the beach mat and placemat ideas. The comforter I bought only came in a set, so I had a pair of pillowcases that tied shut and a cream colored bedskirt with a grosgrain ribbon on it. I used the pillowcases for the shades (cut them down to fit the window) and used the ties as the tie-ups for the shade, the extra fabric for the valance, and the ribbon for trim and as a casing for the dowel that I wanted to put in as a weight in the bottom and also to make them easier to roll up. The back side of the pillowcases was the beige fabric, so it works well as a lining. The shades roll up and tie, and will roll all the way up under the valance to entirely expose the window if we like, or can be half mast. I used Industrial Strength Velcro from Lowes to hang them up (this stuff is great--much better than the kind you get at the fabric store). If doing over I'd have made them maybe 1/2-1 inch wider all around than the window and frame rather than the exact dimensions. We'll see if I can post the pictures (first time at this!)

Rolled up:
Not rolled up:
Back of shade (I cut the velcro in half lengthwise--plenty strong)
Front of shade (shows velcro package and dowel that slides under ribbon)
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Awesome! I love how it coordinates. Plus... you used up something (sort of) free!
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Nice work. Keep us posted on that velcro. I'd like to know if it holds up in the heat that a vehicle parked in the sun can generate.

Along those lines. I've not had luck using rubberbands in my campers because of the summer heat and winter freeze. They give up and shrivel. So I happen to spot and buy rubberbands used for cooking. Good to 600* That should withstand the inside of a hot camper, don't you think?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Will do!

Postby tearhead » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 pm

I will let you know, but it's tough stuff! I have used it to attach a phone to the inside wall of a computer armoire, and for things like attaching valances to cornice boards. But the heat is an interesting variable I hadn't considered. If it doesn't hold, it could just as easily be on a spring curtain rod or some other type. Glad you brought this up, though--food for thought!

I sure hope it doesn't get up to 600 degrees in a teardrop!!!!! Now I'm curious--I'm going to stick a little thermometer in there this weekend!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby FireLion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am

Not a real good pic, but I got a cheap curtian rod from Wally World and attached it with industrial strength velcro. It hasn't loosened up in the heat at all.
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I have been antsy to try the screwsnaps ever since Jazzy Lynn mentioned them. The VW is in the shop waiting for a new engine so I have to wait. I will use them to attach covers over the Puck's forward vents when traveling. Replaced a screw with one today. Same size and screwed right in. This is going to work great. Thanks Jazzy Lynn.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Tearhead I love your curtains. What a great way to use the pillowcase. :thumbsup:
Judy, aren't those snaps great! I'm glad they are working out for you. After all the information I've gotten off the forum, I'm happy to be able to give something back.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Good stuff!

Postby tearhead » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 am

Firelion, nice curtains! Thanks for letting us know that the Industrial Strength Velcro holds up in heat. I'll bet people will find other uses for them as well as for the screw snaps (which I'm anxious to try on something, too--maybe a side awning). Looks like just a couple of pieces of the velcro are holding the curtain brackets up? Genius idea!

Jenniferand pups and Jazzylyn, it was nice to be able to use things we already had for the "Roll Up and Tie" shades. Today I made a cover for a travel pillow using the rest of the scraps. Have to stop now--out of scraps! Did make a couple of potholders using scraps from another home dec. project, though! Time to stop and go camping! :)

Pat
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby okiecamper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 am

really nice!

i have a lil guy 5 wide

i went to lowes and got some blinds and mounted them on a 27.5" 1x2
across the top of the door opening inside.

theyre kind of maroon color matching my comforter on the bed

this way, when i close the door i can just lower the blinds.

raise them when i leave

Phil
there are many storms in life that come our way
the trick is learning to "dance in the rain."

May the apple of your eye see only good
May God make smooth the path before you.
okiecamper
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:09 am

I like blinds for their versatility, curtains for their decorative flair, and shades for their opaque qualities. Hard to pick one. Going with curtains though cause they are soft, don't rattle, and I can make them non-see- thru.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 am

rebapuck wrote:Nice work. Keep us posted on that velcro. I'd like to know if it holds up in the heat that a vehicle parked in the sun can generate.

Along those lines. I've not had luck using rubberbands in my campers because of the summer heat and winter freeze. They give up and shrivel. So I happen to spot and buy rubberbands used for cooking. Good to 600* That should withstand the inside of a hot camper, don't you think?

Some of my electronics are on top of my cabinets in the front and I velcroed them to keep them from walking. The dvd player a clock and 4 speakers has all stayed put during the many rides. Heat should not be a problem as the "greenhouse" Image gets alarmingly hot setting outside in full sun. So much so I have taken to putting an old quilt over it during these hotter months.

As to rubber bands I found some mini bungie cords at big lots and used these to secure my mini tv , cd player , and digital converter box these items were placed on some egg crate foam to eliminate the road shock and I strapped over them and secured them to the inside of the cabinet shelf.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Looking at my pictures, I realized that, 3 years ago, I attached a picture frame to the door with industrial velcro and it's stayed up. So heat doesn't seem to be a problem. At some point age probably will make it let go. Hope it doesn't break the glass.

bobhenry, I've used the mini bungee cords too. They last a good while but eventually go the way of rubberbands.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:33 pm

I made vent covers from the sides of a thin plastic beach tote. Not as tight as I would like, so back to the drawingboard. Or maybe just add more snaps.

One also diappeared, either blown off on the road or swiped at the storage lot. Tomorrow is Saturday. Think I'll retravel my route. That bright orange should be easy to spot.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion