Hey Russ How you doing?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:10 am

oicu812 wrote:Hi Russ,good move getting that water pump out of your camper.Did you buy the vent kit with it?And have you decided on a location to mount the unit?
One thing I would do for safety is run two regulators,one at the tank and one at the unit,propane is higher pressure and two regulators is cheap insurance if you plan on running when asleep or away.If this was already discussed I didn't see it and just wanted to mention it.
Good luck and you must be one tough dude.
PS The 18000 BTU is input and according to the literature the output is 13680,so it's not quite as big as you are thinking and should do a great job.The parts on the different units are almost identical and if it's to much heat,you can have the burner orifice changed by a HVAC guy no problem.

I took a second to think about the water pump but got it in about .5 sec. Mind is running slow /Morning /Not thinking/ Little distracted :lol: And I have a regulator on the tank already. I have to save to get an auto switch over. I looked at one yesterday at a propane experts shop in Harmarville, Pa. Out of my finances. I really need to keep what money I have for paying winter bills when my job is not in its high point.

Its one of those I have the money now but no time or I have the time but no money. Right now I have the time and no money. Come summer I will have the money but no time.

Thanks for keeping up on things here.

Russ
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 am

Russ
I too have been reading your post and keeping up with your journy.
I think I know what I would do if I were in your position I would go south but then again I'm retired. I have a cousin who lives in Perry Ga. her dad installed a 30 amp outlet beside a building on their property for his Motorhome and I have used it on my way to Florida.
but I have obligations here in cold Ohio at least for a while.
so take care and stay warm.
ol' pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 am

pete42 wrote:Russ
I too have been reading your post and keeping up with your journy.
I think I know what I would do if I were in your position I would go south but then again I'm retired. I have a cousin who lives in Perry Ga. her dad installed a 30 amp outlet beside a building on their property for his Motorhome and I have used it on my way to Florida.
but I have obligations here in cold Ohio at least for a while.
so take care and stay warm.
ol' pete

Thanks Pete

That has been an idea I had but again IT Is The Money. I do work (what little) in the winter and I do have some jobs that are small but good enough tho supplement the savings I have but to let those jobs slip by would mean I have no money for the winter and could easily empty my reserves if I went south and doing this would off set the fuel traveling south, I calculate that I would not do well by going south. I am better staying put but batten down the hatch. Also I need to do this at least one year. And how would you guys know whether it can be done. When it is done it is documented as to what I have to maintain myself in a 6x10 during the coldest part of the winter so others would know that it could be done as well but knowing how to do or have to do it to survive.

If someone in the future asks can it be done then they could be told what the min a person should have to do it.

The biggest is to make sure you have a certain type of furnace and if possible have the trailer insulated and not with a water pumping heater. Blue Flame. You need a furnace like mike and others have a force air furnace. I can't wait for that to show up. That will be my Christmas gift.

God I recall in 1974 when I hitched hiked to Florida in January and came back with nothing but my cloths and a sleeping bag. I am living in luxury with this trailer. Sometimes when you've been through a worse situation, the predicament your in at the present really isn't so bad after all. It was something to draw back on and remember. I at best have God, A Job, A roof over my head, (How ever be it metal) I have fuel for heat, I have a heater I have food, I have a bed, two types of heating mattress pads, a 40 cup coffee tank to clean myself and clean dishes, an electric heater and a camping stove a convection oven. Honda Generator, I suppose if I had to say I AM NOT A BUM. Just choosing to live a different life style.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby kirkman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Way to go! :applause: I am thoroughly enjoying your journey in learning to live in your conversion cargo trailer. I cant wait to see how you make out with your new heater especially after you get it all insulated.
Thanks for keeping us all up to date!
Jason
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Off Grid Rving » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52 pm

I was just talking to someone the other day about how there is no longer an derogatory aura round people living in travel trailers and such.

not to mention travel trailers are very nice these days. but it is almost becoming a status symbol.

people want this freedom. we just choose to do something about it. Definitely not bums heh.
Check out http://offgridrving.com
--Update--
http://offgridrving.com has been transformed into Community Sites - where you can sign up for your very own project site, chronicle your experiences on the journey at http://offgridrving.com
Get your own space to post updates and pictures and even videos of your build.
Off Grid Rving
Teardrop Master

Postby oicu812 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Russ
I was wandering about the vent for your new heater.I saw they have a vent kit you can buy,is that included with your purchase or is that an extra?
I've worked on a lot of residential and commercial units,rv units are new to me so sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been asked but hate to see you not able to finish installation because not enough parts.
Tony
edit Direct vent included, combustion air drawn through same vent.
I went back and read it,this will be SWEET.
Pie are square?
oicu812
Teardrop Advisor

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:22 pm

oicu812 wrote:Russ
I was wandering about the vent for your new heater.I saw they have a vent kit you can buy,is that included with your purchase or is that an extra?
I've worked on a lot of residential and commercial units,rv units are new to me so sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been asked but hate to see you not able to finish installation because not enough parts.
Tony

I talked to the owner at Atwood and he relaid to me about how the items he is sending and how to install it. But it isn't here yet so I will let you know.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby kirkman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Russ.... How about something like these as a back up in case you have no power. They are charcoal heaters this is what our brothers on the water use in the winter when they are living on there boats to keep warm.
This first one is expensive.
http://www.bengco.co.uk/
This do it your self one is the one I am going to build after the holadays.
http://www.bluemoment.com/simplestove.html
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:24 pm

kirkman wrote:This do it your self one is the one I am going to build after the holadays.

It's too bad there is no picture! When you build yours, will you send me a picture?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:20 pm

mikeschn wrote:
kirkman wrote:This do it your self one is the one I am going to build after the holadays.

It's too bad there is no picture! When you build yours, will you send me a picture?

Mike...

No I am not going to build one of those. I want the one (furnace) you have to work for me. If anything the pot belly stove is what I would want as a back up. I have used the camping (propane) stove as a beginning heater B4 I got the Blue flame heater up and running the Thursday B4 thanksgiving but I always had the vent totally open.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Just got up from a nap of two hours and the temps on Yahoo say 26 My temp in/out says26/45 and I just turned on the Blue flame. I am still thinking of how to install the new furnace when it arrives. My main concern is the back under the open bed storage area is so the battery will stay warm.

What is the min temp that I should keep that baby warm? Does anyone know is it above 0 degrees or 32 degrees. It always is on the battery minder will that be sufficient? No matter what the temp is..
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby kirkman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Mike..... I will definitely send you a pic and/or start a thread! :thumbsup:
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kirkman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Russ.... Here is a small stove then. Not a pot belly but close.
and the link.
http://www.fatscostoves.com/
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm

kirkman wrote:Russ.... Here is a small stove then. Not a pot belly but close.
and the link.
http://www.fatscostoves.com/

Thanks I was directed to that page once B4.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Redgloves » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 pm

I have been following this thread and wondering what the advantage would be to leave the new furnace running constantly verus off when sleeping/gone.

Since the cargo trailer will cool quicklly along with all interior items, then start furnance, have trailer and interior items to warm, is there an advatage to keeping home warm all the time?

Basically comes down to what is the cost to rewarm all versus keeping warm constantly?

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion