Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Please post your completed trailer's size/weight

Postby Jdw2717 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

If you have not shown it yet it may be nice to have the high and low weights added below the average weight so people have the two extremes to compare. That way they could see how light they could be built or how heavy. Just a thought. Thanks for the hard work. I like to see where I "stack" up.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 pm

5 x 10 1600 pounds empty
3900 dollars
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:From what you're saying, it seems to me that by distinguishing between wood & foam board structure (what holds it up & together) you've created a chart that is a three part equation. The size & type of structure helping to reference the weight.[/list]
    As to tradition, small travel trailers have long been built, and still are, using metal structure: Modernistic, Tourette, Airstream, Five Wide Club, Dandan (Roswell), MeelisV. Current builders: EMiller, SST1100, Dean-Petley and most cargo trailers for example. Refering to any of these trailers as being built with plywood just isn't right.
    And let's not forget molded fiberglass & plastic trailers.
    How about typing in a question mark if you don't know? Someone like Gage is bound to fill you in. :lol:
    You have a good chart started & I appreciate that you've taken on this on-going project. Thank you, Sharon.
    :peace: Fred
    p.s. edited first post with added pictures per request.

Fred, you have a point. Even though they are a recent addition, singling out Foamies doesn't seem fair. Okay, I'll take out the "Ply or Foam" column and intersperse the foamies with the rest; and, if someone wants to find out what a particular person built, they can take the time to look it up. That makes it fair for the aluminum, ply, foam, PVC, etc. My apologies, folks. Under the circumstances, that's the best that I can do as some of this information was collected 4 and 5 years ago. (I'm running out of room for more columns. Maybe that will give me some extra space for another WxL size that might come up!) I'll modify the chart and repost it tonight.

Jdw2717 wrote:If you have not shown it yet it may be nice to have the high and low weights added below the average weight so people have the two extremes to compare. That way they could see how light they could be built or how heavy. Just a thought. Thanks for the hard work. I like to see where I "stack" up.

It is kind of interesting, isn't it?! There are a lot of correlations that can be made. Listing the high and low weights might be easier and more beneficial than figuring the median weight. I'm using an Excel spreadsheet to log this data and have set up automatic counts and averages because the data for the results changes with each series of entries. I may look into automating high and low weights...may need special formulas. I think, at least for now, the best thing for people to do is to look for their particular size concern and see who built lighter and who built heavier. I don't know how far I'm going to take this data yet. ...We'll see where this goes.

As previously stated, sorry about the small size of the print on the charts; but, it's the only way that I could get drafts to you, quickly, with all the information gathered to that specific date, on them. One clue that may help is that I have found that Internet Explorer shows the charts a lot clearer and bigger than Google does...don't know why. (If you're using a really small screen, you may be "dead in the water" when you try to look. ...lol ) After the entries dwindle, I may look into posting an HTML entry. Again, we'll see....

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Please keep you sizes and weights coming!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Revised Chart is on page 1. Thanks.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MeelisV » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 am

size 5x10
loaded weight ~1100....1200 (with food, water, sidetent, battery, cooler, gasbottle, grill, spare wheel ....)

A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
MeelisV
The 300 Club

Postby Vedette » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Sharon
Sorry I am late with this.
Just rolled in last night after a month on the road.
Miss Piggy is 13 1/2' long overall
Main body is basically 6' x10'
She weighs 1450 lbs fully loaded with Beer, Ice, full Wine rack, full fridge, all camping supplies and cloths.
Bed 58 1/2" x 78"
Travelled 5730 miles last month flawlessly.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Brian (Vedette): You aren't late. You're right on time! I was just getting ready to do another update. I'm assuming that the 13.5' length includes the tongue and that the 6x10' is the actual cabin portion. Therefore, I am using the 6x10 size for Miss Piggy. Glad you had a good time on your trip. That was a long one! ...Hope to see details and pictures on the forum, later, when you have time.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 pm

First was 4x9 convertible teardrop - ~800lbs
Second is 5x10 convertible teardrop ~ 1100lbs

Both are dry weight. I usually assume another 400lbs of crap for camping (coolers, canopies, tarps, friends' crap, food, water, etc.)

:thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Revised Chart is on page 1. Thanks.

Thanks, all, for your input!

Please keep those sizes and weights coming!
Last edited by S. Heisley on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 pm

5 X 10 Teardrop Oak and plywood, 1425# $4,035

6 X 11 Gypsy Trailer, white wood and plywood 1425# $3015
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 pm

5x9 Slumbercoach, 1400Lbs. A lot of extra wood just for the style....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:22 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
KCStudly wrote:
planovet wrote:Plywood, Trailer is 5x10 but total length of teardrop is 5x11, 2400#

I think Planovet should get an honorable mention for having such a sturdy trailer frame. Surely that is contributing to the relatively high overall weight.

One of the classics. :thumbsup:

You're right, KC. Also, he built his cabinets out of beautiful Oak, which is a heavier; but also, sturdier wood. Planovet put a lot of thought, sweat, and maybe an occasional sawdust tear and a little blood into his trailer and got exactly what he wanted. If he is happy and it works for him, what does it matter if it weighs 1400 or 2400 lbs? The only way that it matters is that someone else can look at the way he built his and decide whether the weight will a problem for them when they build theirs, if they choose similar materials and building processes. As stated previously, there are builders who build heavy and those who build light; and, people will be able to see that, as well as the averages. :thinking: I may need to do a median weight, too...we'll see....

Thanks guys. Yes, mine is a little heavy but I still love it :lol:

The trailer guy overbuilt the trailer a bit and I put in a little too much wood. But I AM happy and it works for me. The trailer tows like a dream. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby sagebrush » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm

4x8 780 pounds
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Sharon- I wish you had asked for the tongue weights (if known) as well...I would be very interested in seeing the range of what tongue to total weights works, as compared to the "ideal" range we all tried to achieve.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 pm

working on it wrote:Sharon- I wish you had asked for the tongue weights (if known) as well...I would be very interested in seeing the range of what tongue to total weights works, as compared to the "ideal" range we all tried to achieve.

That's a good idea.. :thumbsup:

Over on the trailer sailor forum they talk about tongue weight and ball size compulsively. 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion