What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:12 pm

twisted lines wrote:I have to leave my Switchblade home If I Cross border's that's a little hard to remember :lol:

That's rough too mate.
I'm pretty sure, thanks to the uniform national firearms agreement, about all I have to do with my guns is stop in at the first copshop I come to, and advise them I have them. I'll have to check, but interstate hunting is certainly doable.
And, being in South Oz, every first cross border copshop I come to will be a nice little country copper's outpost, so they'll very likely be civilised about it.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:56 pm

a nice little country copper's outpost, so they'll very likely be civilised about it.

Anytime I'm in a little town and wondering about a good place to eat, I flag a cop down. They'll tell you the straight skinny.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:12 pm

Last time I shot pistols with a friend, had targets set up, and a Patrolman came up to the truck, after a nice chat, he pulled his firearm :oops:
Then handed it to my cohort;
Offered it to me :thinking: Dam thing was loaded!
Something cool I wana, Na DNA, Prints, all that crap in the movies, Had to be a trap :lol:
Thinking Back he probably wanted to shoot my targets.
Today I will fix my Required Licence plate light; That will have no plate.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:58 pm

...a Patrolman came up to the truck...

Six-bits says that the guy worked for an awful small department. (Which is probably poorly trained. I'm cringing with that image.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:45 am

:shock: :shock: :?
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:38 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Six-bits says that the guy worked for an awful small department. (Which is probably poorly trained. I'm cringing with that image.)

Tony
Here in Oz there are no small local departments. Each state has a police force and there is a federal one but the state forces are the primary that most people will encounter. That's it. County coppers work for the state force and all trained in the main academy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:58 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Tony

I Only Know two bit's :thinking:

Small it was !
Oorah V/S Hooah it went on.

May have got a :thumbsup: when he called my plate in.
I did some recovery's On the clock, with speed dial #'s
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:27 pm

Prepared for the Winter storm that's heading our way. Very unusual for us here in Texas. Refilled 3-30 gal propane tanks. Made sure the pinning under travel trailer was tight. Water hose insulated. Tested both generators, light turned on in generator hut.
Freezing rain, sleet, possibly snow. Temps possibly to as low a wind chill of 0 degrees F.

Thu 03 27°/16° AM Wintry Mix 98% NNW 18 mph
Fri 04 35°/14° Partly Cloudy 6% NNW 16 mph
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:23 pm

edgeau wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony
Here in Oz there are no small local departments. Each state has a police force and there is a federal one but the state forces are the primary that most people will encounter. That's it. County coppers work for the state force and all trained in the main academy.

Should have pointed that out, I guess.
There is the Feds, and then there are the individual state departments. No county sheriffs, no city PD, no campus cops.
The country coppers, i.e. those state cops posted to the country, are usually in charge of quite large areas (not divided by counties in South Oz at least), and soon develop a pragmatic approach.
Here in South Oz, at least, this means over the counter service on a lot of things that would be perhaps more complicated in the city where the cop behind the counter doesn't know you from a bar of soap.

An anecdote from my youth, which can be told now they are all retired and or passed:

The local cop rang my old man in a bit of a panic one day.
"Help! Bring your flatbed dodge down to the station."
"Wassup?"
"Boss is coming for an inspection, and I've got all the hay for me goats stored in the cells. I've got about an hour to get it all tidy."

They made it. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:24 pm

I Only Know two bit's

Six bits are worth three times what two bits are worth.

For seventeen years I taught firearms and deadly force to officers. If I had heard about one of my guys doing this, I would have had a heart-to-heart with his supervisor.

So this story bugs me. I should let it go. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:40 pm

We decided to get the 'drop out one more time before our summer holidays end. The youngest goes back to school and I go back to work on Monday. Absolutely poured down all afternoon yesterday while we set up but cloudless today.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:23 pm

Today I shoveled snow! By lunch time I only had about 2/3rds of the driveway done, but it's so much fun, I figured I should save the rest to enjoy tomorrow. We're retired, so we aren't going anywhere, and the county plow hasn't made it to our road yet anyway.

This afternoon, I finished making some straight edge guides for my router and 1/2 inch trim bit

168256 168255

Identical principle to the homemade track saw guides for a circular saw. It's important to use the centering cone before trimming the edge to size.

I already made 4 foot and 5 foot guides for the teardrop build, and was using them for smaller pieces, but the clamping gets tricky, and if not done right, I found the pieces slide under the guide, so I made a bunch out of scrap wood in 3 inch increments. I don't have a jointer, so for 4 and 5 foot guides I used the router in the table with a split fence and shim. These I made based on the 4 foot guide.

To trim plywood, I've been in the habit of cutting close to the line with a jig saw and then using the guide and router to straighten the edge. Our table saw isn't really that good, so I try to find other ways of doing things. Right now, the circular saw that's in the shop (which is probably the obviously way to do it) has a stud cutting blade on it. If we ever get our other circular saw back from a relative, I'll probably put a plywood blade on that one and make another set of these for that combination.

Now, I need to make a rack for these... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:48 pm

edgeau wrote:We decided to get the 'drop out one more time before our summer holidays end. The youngest goes back to school and I go back to work on Monday. Absolutely poured down all afternoon yesterday while we set up but cloudless today.

Looks like a great place to camp edge. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Today I shoveled snow! By lunch time I only had about 2/3rds of the driveway done, but it's so much fun, I figured I should save the rest to enjoy tomorrow. We're retired, so we aren't going anywhere, and the county plow hasn't made it to our road yet anyway.

This afternoon, I finished making some straight edge guides for my router and 1/2 inch trim bit

168256 168255

Identical principle to the homemade track saw guides for a circular saw. It's important to use the centering cone before trimming the edge to size.

I already made 4 foot and 5 foot guides for the teardrop build, and was using them for smaller pieces, but the clamping gets tricky, and if not done right, I found the pieces slide under the guide, so I made a bunch out of scrap wood in 3 inch increments. I don't have a jointer, so for 4 and 5 foot guides I used the router in the table with a split fence and shim. These I made based on the 4 foot guide.

To trim plywood, I've been in the habit of cutting close to the line with a jig saw and then using the guide and router to straighten the edge. Our table saw isn't really that good, so I try to find other ways of doing things. Right now, the circular saw that's in the shop (which is probably the obviously way to do it) has a stud cutting blade on it. If we ever get our other circular saw back from a relative, I'll probably put a plywood blade on that one and make another set of these for that combination.

Tom

Tom, we didn't get any of the major snow some others did out of this storm. Rain, sleet and ice is what we have... It will all be gone by Sunday I believe. :applause:
The router edge guides will sure come in handy, never have enough guides and templates. I still have many of the ones I made when I had my cabinet shop.
And the angle cutting guide I made for my skill saw back then too. I have a really nice Rigid contractor table saw. But find sometimes, I just like using the guides. Always nice to have two skill saws with different blades on them.
Back in the day I wouldn't gave you $0.02 for a truck load of Skill tools.. But I tried their new skill saw and it is great. And the price was good too.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:10 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:

Tom

Tom, for your edge guides, on the end of that big scrap wood rack you've made. Maybe cut you some 1/4" dowels. Drill some 1/4" holes in the top brace across the end of your rack on a slight angle. Glue the 1/4" dowels in the holes. Drill 3/8" holes in the end of your guides, and hang them on the end of the wood rack. Easy to see and out of the way.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion