Anybody doing any Prepping??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Anybody doing any Prepping??

Postby Bogo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 am

Roo Dog wrote: sat phones are a lot better than the old HF.

If any major conflict happened, the sat phone downlinks to terrestrial land lines would all be taken out. US military uses them to much. When the service was going to go bankrupt due to lack of demand, the military stepped in and propped them up. This is one of the few areas where I think corporate welfare is OK. Sat phones provide a needed service that isn't otherwise available.
Last edited by Bogo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Bogo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:40 am

Winter solstice.

The Mayan calendar is tied to the motions of the sun and earth around the galaxy. The major event happening is Sol will be transitioning from above to below, or vise versa, the galactic plane. It is quite interesting that they were able to determine it to such great precision.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm

And the "Mayan calendar ends" thing is quite a piece of misinformation. The Mayan calendar doesn't end this year, it adds a new digit and resets.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby doitright » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

jstrubberg wrote:And the "Mayan calendar ends" thing is quite a piece of misinformation. The Mayan calendar doesn't end this year, it adds a new digit and resets.

That sounds like my calendar I go to the drug store at the end of Dec every year and get a new one for next year. We just need to find a Mayan to get a new one. Most of all the Mayan stuff was distroid by the preist of the Catholic church maybe they just distroied there next calendar. Boy I need spell check.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

I just brewed a 5gal batch of some pretty good wheat, does that count as prepping?
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stumphugger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 am

BrwBier wrote:I just brewed a 5gal batch of some pretty good wheat, does that count as prepping?
Brwbier

Some of us here are and I am trying-- to grow hops. :)
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby mombear » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm

If you would like to learn more about prepping. Go to a forum called American Prepper Network.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me.
mombear
Teardrop Builder

Postby universal_exports » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:57 pm

I also keep a GHB (get home bag) in my truck at all times, it has about 3-4 days of field striped MRE's in it (vacuum sealed in mylar bags), watter, extra warm clothing, hygene stuff, fire, extra socks, a small shelter set up, etc

universal_exports
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 pm

universal_exports wrote:I also keep a GHB (get home bag) in my truck at all times, it has about 3-4 days of field striped MRE's in it (vacuum sealed in mylar bags), watter, extra warm clothing, hygene stuff, fire, extra socks, a small shelter set up, etc

:thumbsup: That's great planning.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PubUltraStar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 am

I like those shows as much as the next guy, but I do think that they are a bit extreme and try to put fear into their audience. Most people are smart enough to know the difference between solid planning and going over the edge with prepping. I'll admit that after watching those shows, I've started creating a bug-out bag, which is mostly my camping supplies and survival gear I already own ready to go. I've added small things along the way, like a hand-crank flashlight, as batteries might not always be accessible. Also, additional first aid supplies in my car.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had dreams of winning the powerball recently, and building an underground fortress/lair for fallout...
There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 am

Bogo wrote:Winter solstice.

The Mayan calendar is tied to the motions of the sun and earth around the galaxy. The major event happening is Sol will be transitioning from above to below, or vise versa, the galactic plane. It is quite interesting that they were able to determine it to such great precision.

What's interesting is that they could determine these astronomic events with great precision, but couldn't figure out that pooping in the street was a bad idea (the Mayans are thought to have perished from a lack of basic sanitation and over-use of slash and burn agriculture)!
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Jim Anders » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 am

Every generation thinks we are near the end. Calm down, mellow out, enjoy your life, family, and friends. And no, I do not even buy an extra battery.
Jim Anders
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:57 am

Jim Anders wrote:Every generation thinks we are near the end.

A man awaits his end
Dreading and hoping all;
Many times he died,
Many times rose again.

William Butler Yeats, 1865-1939.

Yep - ain't nuthin' new.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:18 pm

What? I missed the end of the world? :o :shock: One thing is for sure, if it's predicted it wont happen. I have it on good authority that no one knows the day or the hour. :D That still doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared for emergencies. Around here it is fires, such as in the Oakland Hills or Colorado Springs. Our subdivision is surrounded by lots of brush that hasn't been cleared out in over a hundred years. Many of our neighbors wont clear out the vacant lots and they are dangerous next to homes. :x Some insurance companies won't issue in this neighborhood. :shock: Too dangerous. :oops:

Use some common sense, it is important to carry extra blankets, food and water if traveling through snow country. Not too likely that we will have a major uprising where anarchy will rule and I would have to defend my family and myself. It is possible but not likely. Won't hurt to be prepared. :thinking:
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby mombear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 pm

I guess its the Girl Scout in me to be prepared, so I do follow the American Red Cross recommendations and Ready.gov. Other than having a fully stocked pantry, and water. I have always had a garden and like to have a camp fire in the back yard on occasion. There is no harm in being prepared.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me.
mombear
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion