A/C revisited

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A/C revisited

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:36 am

well, as I tossed and turned last night tring to get to sleep, I had a thought..can someone take the A/C componants out of a junked car and install them into a tear in such a way as to make it work..say have the evaporator mounted either in a side wall or better yet, in the floor and have a small electric fan blowing through it..make a metal box for the condensor with yet another small fan to blow the cold air into the cabin, and use a ¾ horsepower motor to turn the compressor?..any of you bright folks have any ideas?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:11 am

Jim
I have been thinking along the same lines. The early 90 honda civics have a 3 part heater a/c system. with the blower, a/c and heater each in a seperate box. You could use the blower and a/c box with the other compents outside. I was thinking about trying to use the compressor condensor from a almost dead 110 a/c that a friend? dumped on me. I love friends that know that I'm a scronge and dump their junk on me. Anyway I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

A/C

Postby Anon 1 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:16 am

You might be further ahead by buying one of the small, cheaper 110 vac units units for the parts. Then removing them from the case and after placing them where you want them to be you could replace the ac motor with a 12v one of similar specifications.
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:45 am

Anon 1, tearing apart a small ac unit dosn't appeal to me for the fact that to replumb the unit, i'd have to release all the freon in it, and then vacuum it back down and refill it..that can only be done by a certified AC man, but i can buy auto refridgerant all day long at wally world, and the fact that auto AC units are meant to be mobile is a plus.
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

A/C

Postby Anon 1 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:20 pm

Having some A/C experience, I wonder what the difference is in taking a lot of different parts from an auto, maybe some mismatched, or taking apart a matched system and relocating the parts would be? In both instances you will be putting back together a number of parts and the piping them between them and then evacuating and charging them. Also what is the difference in an auto setup and a home setup if forum members are taking standard A/Cs with them over the road?" There is no difference between them in the use of refrigerants or the laws controlling them.
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:01 pm

R-12 runs lower pressures than the others. Compressor doesn't have to work as hard.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Woody » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:37 pm

Have you ever priced R-12 ?. You would have more money in freon than the cost of building a teardrop. You even have to have special license in Florida to obtain it. Correct me if I am wrong here, but to drive that kind of compressor alone would take some form of motor power at the 12 vdc level. Sounds like high AMP use to me. I would just use the old stand-by, the cheap, self-contained, off the shelf, no assembly required, plug and play window unit or the unproven capability of the self-contained Pet Cool unit. Maybe it just me, I think you guys are forgetting K.I.S.S. rule, so why is the incessant need to re- invent the wheel on this one, time and time and time again. Hey like everyone else, I too, am always up for a great idea, I 'd be the first in line to get one. The window A/C unit or Pet Cool unit has the right size and capability right from the box to do the job without all the rocket science. I don't want to sound like or poo-poo the idea of something else that could come along and make us all in go WOW. However it is not the space shuttle we are designing and or building here. So K.I.S.S
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:43 pm

well woody..I was just thinnin here, baba louey, if'n i could get my hands on a free system, as opposed to buying one, i think i'll go for free first.. 8)
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Woody » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:53 pm

FREE, Well why didn't you say that from the beginning. Have you finished your galley yet?. I was not picking on you my friend, I just get so amazed at all the time this A/C thread takes up and repeats over and over again and again. Simplicity and K.I.S.S is what a teardrop is all about. one step up from tent camping, not quite to the R.V.
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

KISS ???

Postby Anon 1 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:13 pm

A recent quote just doesn't seem to pertain to Teardrops any longer ---------------"Simplicity and K.I.S.S is what a teardrop is all about. one step up from tent camping, not quite to the R.V."-----------The day of the 4x8 teardrop at 700-900# seems to be a thing of the past. Now days it's all about bigger and better from axles to tires to A/c and elaborate wiring as well as exterior coverings. No wonder the cost for some units are being quoted at $8k. The good old boys of the 30s and 40s would be amazed at these trailers today.
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woody » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:29 pm

I agree with you on "It aint my grandfathers teardrop any more". Look at the commercially produced teardrops, even they have not found a suitable A/C replacement for window units. The point is if you ever have camped in a teardrop. then you would know that you don't spend a lot of time enjoying the A/C other than sleeping or bad weather. So why reinvent the wheel is only my point. My teardrop has everthing installed into it, all the bells and whistles, including the "kitchen sink" installed but I don't live in it. Why not go with something thats proven to work from the box with a warranty and easy to find a replacement on the road if it breaks down. Simplicity and K.I.S.S does apply here and you don't have to be a "Traditionalist" to appreciate a air conditioned teardrop. Things change, times change along with everything else.
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Woody wrote:Have you ever priced R-12 ?

The price of R-12 has actually dropped in the last couple years. With older cars either getting junked or converted to R-134 there just isn't a demand for it. I have a license so buying isn't a problem, the problem is finding somewhere that has it. It is easily found on eBay but the sellers ask for your license. :cry:

I prefer it for some applications, on my Honda I left R-12 (I used my secret stash). On my truck I converted it to 134. I figure that the system in the truck is oversized for the size of the cab. The Honda is a hatchback so it has a lot of cabin space and windows to fight.

Woody wrote:I would just use the old stand-by, the cheap, self-contained, off the shelf, no assembly required, plug and play window unit

Yep me too, that's what I'm doing on this one. :thumbsup:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Woody » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:24 pm

I went from R-12 to R-134. I sure do miss the cooling effect of R-12. Is it me or does R-134 not feel as cool and a little damp compared to R-12. I used to freeze my butt off before the conversion. Now just cool not cold
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:31 pm

It would be possible to adapt an automotive A/C unit with an electric motor running the compressor. I've seen it on cars converted to electric power. They just use a DC motor coupled to the compressor. The system turns the motor on and off instead of energizing the compressor clutch. Yes it would be a battery hog so I don't think it would be worth it unless you did it with an AC motor, then you still need shore power.

After taking apart my "window shaker" it would be totally possible to adapt it. Just extend the lines and set the evap and condenser where you want them. You'd probably need another blower motor also. Since it is semi portable you can take it to a shop to drain and fill the system. You would still be tied to shore power though. If I build another one, I may take this approach just for experimentation sake.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:39 pm

heh heh heh Everything feels damp in FL 95% humidity :D Actually I'll be there next week for my Niece's Baptism. But yeah I do know what you mean, it seems converted systems just aren't as cold. I mean, my truck is cold but it just doesn't feel like it.

My wife's R-134 Highlander on the otherhand, freezes you to death. Even on the lowest setting, it still gets too cold during a hot night. I don't know if it has something to do with the sizing of the components or what.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion