Torque Deck Screws............

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Torque Deck Screws............

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:35 pm

Anyone fasten their plywood/2x4 deck to their frame with these type of fasteners? I'm assuming you only need to drill the pilot into the top of the frame, since their self-tapping. And since no nut is required, will be more water-tight (with caulking/silicone applied to the bolt). I'm just wondering if they will eventually "shake-loose", unless lock-tite(or similiar product) is applied to the threads....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:00 pm

They work very good and they definitely don't shake loose. We used them on 20+ ton heavy equipment trailers and never saw any problems. Very easy to use and they end up flush with the wood which is a plus.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:01 pm

A friend of mine was replacing the floor in a horse trailer with something similar. He seemed to think they were the way to go. The only problem he had with them, is that the don't unscrew easily after having been in a tralier a long time. It seems like he broke most of the old ones off trying to remove the old deck.

I have also seen similar screws used to fasten the wood on truck beds, so I don't see why they wouldn't work on a tear.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby David Grason » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:44 pm

They work GREAT! I didn't use them on my tear cause I was simply out of them.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:57 pm

Another question, does Home Depot stock them? And are they the same strength, etc as the one's I posted the pic too.

I could order them, but would rather go pick-em up at HD and look at them. I hate looking at parts etc, in pics or online, Irather get my hands on them to "feel" the quality etc.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby ceebe » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:58 pm

I doubt that the removability problem of these screws will be an issue. Its highly unlikely that anybody's tear floor will spend 20 years being soaked in horse whizz. I can predict with absolute certainty that mine won't. :lol:
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:39 pm

They are good, and getting them out is the only problem.. I did think about replacing a utility trailer deck held down with these, but after giving it a try, decided the deck was good enough....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby subtearanean » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:02 pm

ceebe wrote: Its highly unlikely that anybody's tear floor will spend 20 years being soaked in horse whizz. I can predict with absolute certainty that mine won't. :lol:

Sure.....you say that today, but what about those pygmy ponies you've been admiring all these years?
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:05 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:Another question, does Home Depot stock them? And are they the same strength, etc as the one's I posted the pic too.

I could order them, but would rather go pick-em up at HD and look at them. I hate looking at parts etc, in pics or online, Irather get my hands on them to "feel" the quality etc.

Unfortunately, they do NOT. I got mine from www.redneck-trailer.com
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion