Cooler for a Cubby?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cooler for a Cubby?

Postby toypusher » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:05 pm

I'm building a Cubby and baught a Coleman electric cooler, only to find that it will not fit into the galley of a 4x8 Cubby. At least I don't see how it will fit. I haven't started the actual build yet (waiting on the PA DOT to see if all goes well with my registration). Anyway, I don't plan on making the icebox that is in the plans. Can anyone recommend a specific cooler that will fit in the galley somewher? I want a good one, but there isn't much space in the galley according to the plans and I would rather keep the cooler in the galley.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby MarksMG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Toypusher
If you go to the cabela's web site they list the sizes of all of the coolers they sell. www.cabelas.com
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

Postby beverlyt » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:36 pm

Kerry,
Here is a picture of our Cubby galley.

As you can see, I wanted a pretty large cooler to keep most of the food inside. Didn't leave a lot of room for cupboards or storage...but I hate to cook anyway so other than a few cans of stuff or a couple loafs of bread stored in the vehicle... it works good. I actually slide out the cooler while cooking and use it as a sort of "table" to set things on while cooking. It slides out far enough without falling out of the galley.

Also, since I have the Coleman grill/griddle stove, I only have two other small pans I bring along... stored in the toolbox on the tongue of the trailer.

It was important to me not to have to lift a heavy cooler from out of the tow vehicle.

Guess it all depends on what is most important to your galley needs.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:11 pm

Bev,

Did you make the upper cabinets shallower than the 12" in the Cubby plans? I am planning on getting the Coleman Grill Stove and it is supposed to be 15" deep, but the Cubby plans are for the counter to only be 14". Yours looks deeper. I am currently considering a Coleman 48 Qt cooler on the bottom and maybe put it on a slide-out shelf that is right on the deck. I see that you use a water jug, I am putting in the tank under the deck, with a small sink in the galley. I also plan on using the stove out on a picnic table or on a side table that will hook to the side of the tear. I still want to be able to keep it in the galley when not in use.

Thanks for the picture and information.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Kerry,
I went out and measured things in the galley.
Our "shelf", that the stove sits on is only 13 1/4". This was NOT deep enough to handle the Coleman grill stove. So.. we bungee cord it in an upright position while traveling.
The depth of our galley on the bottom, where the cooler sits is almost 21" deep.

It's been awhile since I've looked at the plans or how we did this part a little different. We didn't really build much of a "bulkhead"... just built the inside cupboards directly on the back galley wall board which gave us more room for a pull-out table inside underneath the cabinets. (Not sure I'm making sense.

By running the two boards very close in depth that make up the galley wall, we lost a couple of inches we could have used to make the stove fit.
But... gave us more room inside... (at least I think that's what we did?)

Oh, darn.. I forgot to measure the depth of inside cupboards... but Bob says he is pretty sure they are 12".

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:43 am

Bev,

Thanks again. Yes the pull out shelf makes sense to me and I was thinking of doing the same thing inside the cabin. Also considering making the countertop in the galley pull out about 6"or so to eliminate having to bend over when using the sink and or countertop space. After I posted the original request here, my wife said that she thinks we should just get the large steel coleman cooler and put in in the cabin for transportation and set it out at camp. So, I guess that's the way we will go with it and make the galley all cabinets. I had been thinking that bungee cords around the stove would be the way to go with it. Have you seen the carrying cases that Coleman has for the stoves - holds the stove and two bottles of propane, with handles for carrying. We may get one of those and just put the stove in the cabin when traveling.

Thnaks again,

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion