Bumper or no bumper?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Bumper or no bumper?

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue May 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Sorry if I missed this topic before. It seems that most tears I've seen pictures of don't have rear bumpers. Right now my hatch handle sticks out and if that gets hit- there goes the hatch. What material has anyone used for a bumper that works well? Is there a bumper made for a Harbor Freight trailer? Thanks, George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 pm

I have been trying to decide if I will put one on my tear as well. The only drawback that I can see is that it makes the reach to the cabinets a little further. I would love to see how others, who have bumpers, have built them,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Tue May 10, 2005 2:54 pm

Although I havent started yet, I've been kicking around the idra of a removable bumper. We have bikes as well so I was planning on a 2" receiver tube to carry them, then wondered about getting 2 more welded on either side so later I could add/fabricate a removable bumper.

I think once I get someone to weld me up a frame, I'll get the (3)reciever tubes done then as well, and if I use them fine, if not I haven't spent too much for the "extra" 2. The middle 1 will still be to haul the bikes.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue May 10, 2005 3:14 pm

I think a rubber bumper would work best....that way it wouldn't hurt near as bad when you bang you shin into it! :D
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue May 10, 2005 3:26 pm

Boy, is this a good topic! I never even thought about it!

But man, is this going to be easy for ME. All I have to do is hang rubber/foam boat dock fenders on a rope, meaybe even removable. (Just a rope.)

You can do ANYTHING with this nautical theme!!!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby fornesto » Tue May 10, 2005 4:17 pm

It really should be done. If you have a single 2" receiver, a light weight slide in bumper should be easy to fabricate. My biggest fear is smashing a corner while backing it in. You can't really pound dents out of plywood and bondo over aluminum doesn't work either. It would not take much impact to really do a number on the rear end of a teardrop. Has anyone thought of a fold down bumper, where you can pull a pin and it folds under the teardrop. :thinking:
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 pm

I put a bumper on mine. Although I put it on for aesthetics, it will still hold back a light impact. Used a repro VW Front bumper, Pre "67" The bumper was $23 ($55 total w/shipping) used there mounts, moved the holes. I don't think it turned out bad. Its in a lot of the photos.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/len19070/ ... /my_photos

http://www.blimpvw.com/bumpersfenders.html

Happy Trails,

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby brickz » Tue May 10, 2005 6:18 pm

I did the receiver hitch($22 at TSC store) on mine for my bike rack too. I had my buddy at the welding shop weld up a piece of 2" square tube to fit in hitch to 4' long piece, painted black and put rubber caps on ends to at least protect my shins a little. It looks and works great. wouldn't take a big hit but will at least protect the wood parts from little "nudges". Just put it in tow vehicle when using the bike rack.

brickz
"A single accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Admiral Grace Hopper
brickz
Donating Member

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Tue May 10, 2005 6:19 pm

I've posted on this before. Having a bumper will not do much to prevent damage in a real collision, but it might be nice if you back into the trash can or oak bush. A damaged bumper is easier to replace than a side panel. I would design it with the idea in mind that you might damage it someday and have to replace it. I wouldn't enjoy busting my shins all the time, so I like the slip in/out idea of receiver hitches. Plus those receiver hitches could be used for a table or other appendage.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Re: Bumper or no bumper?

Postby Dee Bee » Tue May 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:Sorry if I missed this topic before. It seems that most tears I've seen pictures of don't have rear bumpers. Right now my hatch handle sticks out and if that gets hit- there goes the hatch. What material has anyone used for a bumper that works well? Is there a bumper made for a Harbor Freight trailer? Thanks, George.

In PA a bubmper is not required on a trailer, therefore I am guessing not on a TD However, I put one on my build... I was given a 6" 8" piece of quarter sawn dried oak. I cut it down for several piece in the tD. One of them was for a bumper

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Tue May 10, 2005 7:50 pm

If you are worried about rapping your shins on the bumper, how about making an adjustable one? Make it fit in a reciever hitch, and have a travel position where is extends back a few inches from the back of the trailer, then pull the pin and slide it all the way in flush with the back of the tear for when you are parked.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby smarttech » Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 pm

What if you were to actually attach the bumper to the galley door so it lifts out of the way when you lift up the door. When it is down, it rests against the metal frame of the trailer. Now that the idea has been brought up, I'll have to think about incorporating one.
Steve Martin
Smart Technology
smarttech
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Tue May 10, 2005 11:57 pm

smarttech wrote:What if you were to actually attach the bumper to the galley door so it lifts out of the way when you lift up the door. When it is down, it rests against the metal frame of the trailer. Now that the idea has been brought up, I'll have to think about incorporating one.

...the idea of a bumper is to protect the galley hatch or your sides when you bump that post while backing...having it attached to the galley hatch kinda defeats the purpose unless you are going strictly for looks. We took some 1.5in tube we had laying around, cut a couple of 6in pieces and welded them to bottom of frame and the welded a piece of 2in tube on top of that for a bumper
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Wed May 11, 2005 8:31 am

Thick Marine Rope (like 8 diameter) with rubber fenders for The Crab.

I wish I had some available credit on the cards to actually BUY them.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Wed May 11, 2005 9:40 am

Junkman:

I like that idea about sliding the bumper in flush with the frame. Instead of slipping it out, you slip it in all the way to avoid shin busting. A couple of advantages are that one, you would not have to find a place to put the bumper when it's not in place, and two, if you happen to forget to put it back in place, it's not going to be a disaster (as long as it's pinned in the non-shin-busting position). That's some good thinkin, Junkman.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Next

Return to General Discussion