Newbie with questions galore…

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Newbie with questions galore…

Postby Dblvsn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:42 pm

Hi all,

I came across this forum and decided to join as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and a wealth of good people as well.

My wife and I have decided to start a TD project and are still in the infamous “planning” stages. I’ve got the support of my father-in-law (he’s pretty handy with building stuff), and access to my brother-in-law’s professional welding buddy (he can weld aluminum too). Hence, I’m hoping that this project will go well.

Anyway…I’ve been scouring the internet and this forum and still have some design questions that don’t seem to have answers…maybe ya’ll could help?

I’m planning on build a 5 x 12 Benroy-style TD using an old steel utility trailer. I’ve heard that with TDs of that size you need some sort of bulkhead to reinforce the sides. My father-in-law and I have been toying with the idea of a steel skeleton or an aluminum skeleton (metal frame and ribbing made from square tubing). The problem that I see is bending the metal. Are there a lot of places out there that can bend tubing as neither of us have experience with it?

Also, it seems that everybody uses plywood for the sides of the TD. Again, good ol’ dad seems to think that this may cause long term problems (potential water damage). As we’ll be using the trailer for forest camping/hunting as well as campground (KOA) travel the trailer will be subject to getting shaken on the no-so-well-kept roads. I would assume that regardless of the amount of sealant that would be used on the joints, eventually the trailer may leak because of the shaking. His answer is the build the sides of the trailer out of aluminum siding, rather than plywood (like many modern RVs). I haven’t heard of, nor seen anyone do this with a TD….what ya’ll think? The idea seems good, especially because I’d like to keep the dry weight below 1500 lbs. and getting rid of all that plywood would definitely help.

Last but not least, my wife and I have one child (2 years old) and are planning on one more (hence the 5 x 12 TD). We came up with the idea of a bunk bed that would run the width of the trailer, in the front (up top) where some of you seem to put shelving (the space would be 24 x 24 x 5 feet wide, however it would be subject to the front curve in the roof. Anyone with kids every try this before? And how is sleeping with two little ones in a 5 x 12 space?

Thanks so much,

Rick

P.S. If there is anyone in the Phoenix area that would let my wife, son, and I look at your TD for some realistic/physical idea of the space we’re dealing with, please let us know. Thanks again.
Dblvsn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:04 pm

welcome Rick,,you ask so here goes,,first if you have one little one and planning more the tear could get real small unless you make it awfully large,,I am building a little larger than 4x8 and its a design situation at every corner,,its a 4x8 world,,there are no set rules on building,,,metal square tubing frames have been done and turned out quit well,,not being a welder and ok with wood I chose the latter,,,,aluminum siding ,,cost?? availability etc,,,also usually this is over a plywood backing of some sorts ,,,I think you would be 1500 lb or maybe a little more on a 5x12 ,,what kind of tow vehicle are you gonna use???

I got a suggestion,,,it works for some of the others in this forum,,,look around for a canned ham in pretty good condition for family outings and build a smaller tear for you and the madam when its just the two of you,,waalaaa a two trailer family,,,or build one as an inlaws tear,,that way the grands can go along also,,,sort of start a family tradition,,,,,tha family that tears together saves space together,, :lol: ,

the main thing is ,,,build it,,,you will enjoy the experience,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:40 pm

Rick,

Welcome to the site and to the habit, I mean hobby of teardrops.

Here is a site where a couple of brothers built teardrops using the construction methods you describe, http://www.saber.net/~sking/teardrop.htm. They have lots of pictures and it looks like they started on 3 more.

Depending on how tall you're making your trailer, you may want to put the bunk in the middle of the trailer over your feet (that is if you're planning on sleeping with your head toward the front). This would be in the tallest part of the trailer and you wouldn't have to fight the curve.

Have fun with your project.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion