Hey Russ How you doing?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby pete42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 pm

we too enjoyed your journey the past few months
I'm sure there were times that were harder than others and some that brought a smile to your face.
what I have and what I use are two different things while I would like a 12X7 CT living in one full time wouldn't be my first choice.
parked in florida, TX or AZ durning the winter wouldn't be all that bad but Ohio, PA "you are a better man than I".
lots of things going wrong in my life right now mostly to people around me brother his wife GF her mother and even GF's 15 year old puppy all having a real hard time of it healthwise.
couple small bumps in my personel life nothing I can't handle just really annoying.
take care pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:02 am

Well I was doing some thinking and realized that I had a battery that was just sitting around doing nothing (now that the furnace is off) but being charged every so often and that I was also using the generator running all the time to keep my laptop running. So I decided to move my 400 watt inverter to the top of my bed shelf so that I could use the inverter instead to run the laptop instead of wasting fuel on the gen all the time.

Now I just use the gen for a few hours to charge the battery as well as watch a movie and microwave my food. I turn the inverter on just about every 1.5 hrs to recharge the laptop battery. I just did this yesterday so today I am going to see how much draw a VCR and Visio flat screen TV does on this set up. I can save on fuel this way maybe.

Oh the Varnardo ceiling fan is great for the hot days that have been around so far. That was the only thing that the battery was being used for so far B4 the inverter was moved.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 am

Now that winter is over, the sun is strong enough in PA to run a solar panel to recharge a battery. You wouldn't have to run the genny at all.

But solar panels are not cheap.

Just food for thought!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:52 am

mikeschn wrote:Now that winter is over, the sun is strong enough in PA to run a solar panel to recharge a battery. You wouldn't have to run the genny at all.

But solar panels are not cheap.

Just food for thought!

Mike...

I already have the Harbor Freight one (45 watt) Think that will do? I sit in the sun all day but I am not in it. But get back into the trailer about 4:00 pm. Thinking of putting them on top the trailer. However still in the company lot and can't do to much show and tell.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Ratkity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:43 am

I'm so glad you made it unscathed through the hard winter!! You did remarkably well and seemed to stay in very good spirits. You are an amazing man.

I am thinking of trying a bigger solar panel. Right now I have a battery maintainer that is 15W. I'm searching for an 80-85 watt panel as my controller only can handle 100w and I calculated amount used and it's slightly less than 60w (unless I run the fan longer).

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

When is it going to get warm???? I am cold and still using the heater but have not used it much, just at times to get the chill off. Refilled the tank with only one gallon left in the tank since three weeks ago. But still using the furnace. I guess I need to get into the blankets and close the door.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:When is it going to get warm???? I am cold and still using the heater but have not used it much, just at times to get the chill off. Refilled the tank with only one gallon left in the tank since three weeks ago. But still using the furnace. I guess I need to get into the blankets and close the door.

I heard something about a strong La Nina which is keeping the cold air from Canada down low right now. It's supposed to get closer to normal by the middle of May.

Mike...

P.S. I also heard about a few volcano's that might be affecting us... :?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 am

Just cleaned out the bed of the truck. Man do I carry extra weight. Took everything out that I don't use and the bed lifted by two inches as I can tell by the height of the bed arm rails. Still need to get rid of a few things in the trailer. Took four hours to do this. Mostly broken glass that shattered from sliding glass doors that broke on the truck or after clean up at customers and placed in cardboard boxes and rain got to it and the boxes failed and glass got all over the place. Now I need a new glass rack. Good thing or not that business is still slow. have time to build one.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 pm

House sitting once more for a week. Get the laundry done again and a good shower and bed???? Maybe on the bed. Cable and little more open space. 8)
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Russ how's the house sitting going?
If you are back in the CT hows the rain and wind treating you.
lots of bad stuff going on now all over the usa I hope you have been safe and dry enjoy the upcoming weekend.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pete42 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Hey Russ what's up? haven't heard from you for a while are you working on your trailer?
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Russ, Are you okay? We haven't heard from you in more than a month.

You made it through the winter and, now, we're waiting to hear the summer-simmer stories! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Sharon,

Last post from Russ

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=843010&highlight=#843010

Sounds like he is doing just fine....
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:22 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Russ, Are you okay? We haven't heard from you in more than a month.

You made it through the winter and, now, we're waiting to hear the summer-simmer stories! :lol:

Thanks and doing just fine. No Ac needed and I don't have the trailer insulated yet. I am often out during the day so not in the trailer during the heat of the day. As of today I am on a little week vacation in a place called Heberlig near the Blue Mtn Tunnel (West of Harrisburg) and photographed the Turnpike changing (making less of a curve outside the east portal of the tunnel. Traded off one of my DVD's for a camping spot on a private property on a semi farm for three nights stay. Lot of Amish here and they like what my hobby is all about. Spent all day at the Archives in Harrisburg. SORE! Standing photographing all 8 hrs.

Have the FW tank half full and it pulled nicely.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am

:thumbsup: I'm glad to hear that all is well. Enjoy your 'vacation'. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion