King Richard Info

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

King Richard Info

Postby OutsideArt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I am restoring a King Richard teardrop and have only been able to find a little info on them. I know they were produced with Benroy design after Benroy went out of business in 1955. The only years I have been able to find for production are 1958 and 1959. This is from trailers with pics on the internet. It also says they were produced and sold in El Monte, CA and my tag says Compton, CA. The only mark on the frame is 123 which I figure is the production number. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Its not how far you go, its how go you far
OutsideArt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm not exactly an expert on King Richard trailers, but I do know a little bit. To the best of my knowledge, the King started producing this particular teardrop (they produced several models over the years, including the KampMaster) in 1956, right after they got the patterns & remaining stock from Benroy (that's why there's so much confusion about Benroy vs. King Richard in those early years ... they were produced with the same materials and looked almost exactly alike!). I don't know any production numbers, as we haven't been able to find much info on them. They stopped production sometime in 1958 or early '59 when the Caliva Bros. took over and changed a few things, calling it the Scad-a-bout (there's a little confusion, here, as we've seen King Richards titled as '59s and Scad-a-bouts titled as '58s, but it's likely the '59 titled King Richards were actually '58s sold new in '59. Clear as mud, right?). Scad-a-bouts were produced into the late '60s.

Don't know if that helps, but that's (in a nutshell) what I know. Good Luck, and ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby OutsideArt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks Grant,
That helps narrow it down for me. I figured there wasn't too much info on them, but someone here might know.

Thanks again,
Art
Its not how far you go, its how go you far
OutsideArt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: King Richard Info

Postby BONGOMAN » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:42 pm

Hello all.
Well here goes One more King Richard I was told that it's a 1959 i've seen some posts on restroring
any one who's doing or done one i would appreciate any info you can share.
It will have to be a complete rebuild. thank you in advance.
BONGOMAN
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion