I think it's time to revisit the weekender.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I think it's time to revisit the weekender.

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm

This weekend I am going to start thinking about a new weekender design.

The original weekender plan is here: http://mikenchell.com/weekender/

If you recall, the plan was to have something camp-able in just a couple weekends. But the downside to the original design was having to drive screws into the endgrain of the plywood.

So I think it's time to revisit the weekender. What can we do to improve the original weekender, and still build it in 2 weekends?

I think we should allow space for heating and a/c, if a person wants to add that later.

I think we should get rid of that flat spot on the front. Replace it with a point.

The original was designed to be built on a 5x8 trailer. Sure would be nice if we could do something on a 4x8 trailer and hang over the edges...

Any ideas from you guys? :thinking: :thumbsup: ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: I think it's time to revisit the weekender.

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I don't think I would go all the way to a point at the front, but if you made the lower front kick up a little flatter and shortened the flat front by maybe a third or half while bringing the break point at the front of the roof forward accordingly, it might not look too bad...maybe get the effect you have in mind while picking up a little more headroom/interior space.

Corner blocks lining all of the interior corners made out of 1x1's would give something solid to screw into... add lots of glue surface, too.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Mike -

I agree that a 1x1 "frame" along the edging to screw into would be a good idea, and easy if all the edges are straight lines. If all plywood edges are urethaned to seal them and then silicone caulk used where the edges meet the roof surface that should provide good water protection. I'd also recommend some edge molding (aluminium or treated wood) to further protect against water, plus I think it would look good.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:00 pm

My plan for the weekender profile is combine it with a squared teardrop. Basically use the top and omit the lower angles front and rear. I tow with a GMC Sonoma ZR2 which compared to a normal S10 or Sonoma is a lifted truck package and am not worried about aerodynamics since the top is even with the top of tailgate. By putting a tongue box on will split the air around the leading edge on bottom. But I look forward to any ideas that may make me change my mind on design.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby rmclarke » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 pm

ooo....I like pointy ends :D

Mike, are you thinking of something a bit more "hopper-ish"?
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 am

rmclarke wrote:ooo....I like pointy ends :D

Mike, are you thinking of something a bit more "hopper-ish"?

Yes, I'm thinking that is the right way to go. Like the front end on yours...

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:38 am

Mike , I think the Weekender is a Great design , and used it as a basis for my little Foamie ... 8) 85662
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 am

You could include wheel wells to allow the overhange on a 4x8. About 6 inches on each side. It does not interfere with sleeping as this is the area for your legs.

They would not have to be this big, as these were built to accomodate a 31" off road tire.

The main frame rails of my trailer are 47" on the outside. With a 6.5" Inch overhange on each side. There is still plenty of room to sleep comfortably.

jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 am

Mike you could run the top line out on to the tongue and pull in the sides like our new WW and have a built in tongue box. I love ours.

Maybe you could figure out how to put in the AC that I didn't.
Gary

Ps How about going ultra light with 1x1 framed luan panels skinned with paint and bed sheet or light canvass to water proof, tight fit foam on the inside with wall paper to doll it up.
Last edited by RAYVILLIAN on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 am

Those are good ideas Gary. I was hoping not to use wheel wells, but I may have no choice in the matter. It's either wheel wells or an elevated platform on a 4x8 chassis. The other option is to use a 5x8 chassis.

Here's my first pass at a profile. Notice I am trying to use plywood sized pieces for the roof!!! :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 am

That's looking good Mike. I'd pull the sides of the tongue box in about a foot each side and give you a 3' front that would hide behind most to vehicles and run the box out on to the tongue. that would give you a 8' cabin and 2' box. The cut in on the tongue box also gives you the extra length and keeps the 4x8 panels.

Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby jss06 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 am

How much height is needed to clear the tires on a 4x8 frame? I custom built my own so I don't know. could you use a 1 or 2" spar below the deck for the overhang and straddle the wheel?
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 am

Sorta like this
Gary
I gotta learn how to share skecthup
Attachments
rough weekender.skp
(53.57 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 am

The top of the wheel is pretty close to even with the top of the chassis. So I just have to allow for spring deflection! I allowed for 3" in this design.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:49 pm

The giant teardrop is in demolition stage... I'll post more about that in another thread.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd rough out the new Weekender II profile to see what it looks like... got the back end done. I'll do the front end tomorrow!

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion