Towing newbie

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Towing newbie

Postby flatpicker » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am

I am brand new to towing and am about to get a hitch installed on my 2010 Tucson.

The car can pull 2k with brakes (1k without) so, what all would I need yo get the job done?

I am planning on goong through uhaul, which seems to offer everything I need, But I am clueless when it comes to brake controllers esp.

I am going to purchase either a little guy 5 or 6 wide (perhaps a ss) or maybe a camp inn 550.

Thanks in advance!
flatpicker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Towing newbie

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am

flatpicker wrote:I am brand new to towing and am about to get a hitch installed on my 2010 Tucson.

The car can pull 2k with brakes (1k without) so, what all would I need yo get the job done?

I am planning on goong through uhaul, which seems to offer everything I need, But I am clueless when it comes to brake controllers esp.

I am going to purchase either a little guy 5 or 6 wide (perhaps a ss) or maybe a camp inn 550.

Thanks in advance!

Any electric brake controller that U-Haul sells should be fine. I don't think you need anything fancy.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Al in PA » Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

I've used numerous brake controllers on different tow vehicles over the years. My current Prodigy is by far the best I've experienced.

More important than the choice of brake controllers is the addition of a transmission cooler. You can burn up a transmission quickly if it overheats. Even a small trailer will generate a lot of heat in the transmission.
Al in PA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm

X2 on the Prodigy.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 pm

I thumbs down on the additional transmission cooler. Just change the transmission oil and filter and use a top quality synthetic oil. And perhaps change it a bit more often than recommended. And slow down your cruising speed a bit and really slow down going up hills. I tow a rather tall TD weighing about 1200 lbs plus me and gear in my 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2000cc motor with auto tranny. Kind of forces me to go a bit slower. I have had no problems.

Take care of the motor cooling system. After all that is where most vehicles have their tranny coolers. Inside the radiators.

Yet

I have seen to many add on coolers with lines that leak/break. Cooler installed so it doesn't get proper air flow or fins plugged up. just my $0.02 bout all it is worth.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sat May 18, 2013 7:35 pm

A transmission cooler costs a hundred bucks maybe two with installation. A new transmission could easily be ten times that amount. Gone are the days when a car had a tranny that belonged in a truck (hydromatics rule). It's you choice, but for my money....it's cheap insurance especially if tou aren't a flat lander.

Controllers are all pretty simple. I've got a Tekonsha p3 for mine....works great!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion