Humor me!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:04 pm

Air hair lair Andrew,

Who would do such a thing? Plagiarism? Not you!!! nerr wot ah mean, guv'nor :D

Anyhow, Michelle says she likes this one...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:27 pm

Hi Andrew,
One week ago I didn't no anything about tear drop trailers, except that they were small and looked pretty cool. I'm not accusing you of plagiarism by no means. I'm just trying to bring myself up to speed on the history of these things. I'm on overlload here trying to take all this in. I am just starting to get the different shapes all figured out, like I now know how to identify a Benroy, but I still have so much to learn about the history of these things. I read a nice article last night about how Kit started out.
I'm still very confussed here but let's see if I got this right:
The original Cub was produced by ?, like back in the forties or so and is not being produced anymore right?
Then this designer named Andrew (you), which BTW is not pictured to the left on his posts in this forum, decided to recreate the old style of the Cub trailer because the elliptical design really caught your eye, right?
With your newly created design of this elliptical style of trailer, you decided to call it the New Cub, right?
If I got everything right so far, that leaves me with still not knowing enough about the original company and where the term Cub/Modernistic and Cub/Modernaire came from.

All I know is that this design of yours really caught my eye and I want to use it's basic shape and come up with a trailer of my own. I have no idea what you mean by, "Eazy, innit?"
Maybe Mike could come up with a section on this forum that fully explains the history of all the general designs and such.

In my thirst for learning the history of these things, I am sorry if I offended you in any way for asking a question about how something came to be. Let me also say, Thank You for having that page with all those designs available for someone like me to gather and understand better the "Mystique of the Teardrop."

Nick Taylor's Teardrop page

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:34 pm

Actually I'm not very good with history, but there's a number of folks that are, and they are planning on releasing a book soon. In the meantime we can always check out Nick Taylors Teardrop webpage for some basics.

http://www.300f.com/teardrop/

Also Check out George Thornton
http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/autocamp.htm

And Grant Whipp
http://www.teardrops.net/page01.html

Anyone else have any more good history links?

Mike...

P.S. "Eazy, innit?" is Andrews way of saying, "Easy, isn't it?"
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sftiggee » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:40 pm

oh yah, i think any VW looks good with a camp-inn (note my avatar)

go for it...;)
Jolene, Luke, Jackson, Lilianne, and Bandit
2006 Camp-Inn Raindrop Ultra
2007 Dodge Magnum RT
sftiggee
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:35 pm

Thanks Dean for the links. At this point I think I like the looks of the benroy. I would like to make it a little taller to allow for standing. My partner and I are not overly tall so stretching it to 5 1/2 feet high would almost allow us to stand straight. I am also trying to figure out a way to incorporate a portipotti into the plans. There aren't any teardrops that I know of in Alberta and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. I suspect that our planning will take most of the winter so that we can build in the spring for camping next summer.

Cathy
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Hi Cathy,
I'm in the same boat as you, working out my design. I'm planning on going with a pop-up in the roof to get more headroom. I saw a post, I think by Bev and it was about the portable toilet. I also saw a fully cantained unit on on of the suppliers sites as I was looking at a hot water heater for a shower. I'll dig through my notes and try to find that address for you guys.

Found it: http://www.thetford.com/permanent_cassette.cfm

Postby catrinka » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:04 pm

That looks like a cool toilet! After a couple of weeks of camping in a tent with no facilities I'd settle for an old fashioned chamber pot :lol:

Cathy
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:30 pm

Cathy,

I'm going to go for something like this, if I don't build one myself.
http://www.zodi.com/hot_top.html
(Does anyone have any reviews on this?)

As far as a toilet goes, I think I'll settle on one of these.
http://www.baproducts.com/pett.htm
(I don't need a review on this one)

Postby beverlyt » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:13 pm

Dean,
I haven't used it yet, but I have a Zodi shower. I do know my brother used some sort of other "heated shower" at a outdoor 3 day concert and it was the hit of the campsite. (After 3 days in the hot sun, I can imagine it was!
The only tip I've read about the Zodi is be careful as the unit itself gets hot...keep it away from the body.

Cathy,
If I were to ever go with another home-built trailer... I would go with something like this:
http://www.glen-l.com/campers/sequoia.html

I like the place for the porta-potti inside. Seems to me that perhaps somehow it could be rounded out to look more like a tear shape...put the galley area in the rear...shorten the height of the trailer abit....
I'm not sure...but I like the layout alot...just not the shape.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:36 pm

Hey Bev,
Thanks for the info on that shower system.
Today I discovered that I can add links to the Sources of Supply over in the links section, so it will be easier for me and everyone else to find certain items when the time comes. It sure would be nice to have a section where TDers listed feedback on product reviews or rated them. I added four new links to the Source of Supply list today.

Postby catrinka » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:36 pm

Thanks Dean and Bev for the links. Interesting floorplan for the sequoia. Move the galley to the back and put the door where the sink is and it could work.

This might be a difficult question but....if we start with a manufactured trailer as a base, how long can we expect basic construction to take? I realize there are several variables here but we are trying to figure things out. Also, is there someplace where I can find a list of suggested building materials for the sides and roof?

Thanks in advance for your help
Cathy
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:58 pm

Hi Cathy,
Only you and your partner will be able to determine the construction time.
Look in the links section under Source of Supply for different items.
As far as your sides and roof go, I would decide what to use and try to find that locally. For aluminum sheeting I would try a heating and sheet metal shop. Plywood, try the local lumberyards in your area. You might see if there are more elite places for your woods by calling local cabinet shops and asking them where to buy. There is an interesting low maintenance roofing material called TPO, I would check with a roofing company on that one. (I think Chip is using it on his project)

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:59 am

Cathy,

Dean is right, everyone is different. But here's something to give you the flavor of how long it took me...

I started my first one in the fall, and was done the following summer. But I actually only worked on it 10 weekends.

I started my second on on January 4th, and it was usable (not complete) again in the summer. I didn't count the actually days worked on it, but I have a complete photo diary of the construction. Someone could actually count the days! :lol:

http://www.mikenchell.com/live/index-frame.html

Okay I just went and took a look. It appears I worked 26 long full hard days on it!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:43 pm

Mike, I really like your trailer. Its one that I have admired since I found this site.

Cathy
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:44 am

Well there ya go. Sounds like you have made up your mind. Just think, in 26 days, you too can have a Baja Benroy!!! :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion