Tiny Footprint Vardo, is there such a thing?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tiny Footprint Vardo, is there such a thing?

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:14 pm

When starting this post I noticed we don't have a Vardo section. Do I need to start a Vardo section?

Anyways, I thought a Vardo would be a simple, fast and fun design. But I wanted a small footprint Vardo. I tried 2 variations, and quickly realized that my designs are mostly bed, and not much room for anything else.

Anyone have any thoughts how to improve this?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Footprint Vardo, is there such a thing?

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:25 pm

:D cute and a fold up bed might help. Also get some of the wood off the top. Looks top heavy and would give more head room. :R Hummm drawers out the sides might help with access...check out Bob's barn.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Cap't Jonny » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 pm

A while back Io planned to build a vardo but instead bought a Shasta compact and have been restoring it .

I planned to build it on a frame I bought from a salvaged 85 Starcraft popup .

That frame was 6'x10' and if you cut off the side extensions was 5x10. I paid $340 for if already stripped.

If you build the box 5' high with 12h" x6w" cantilevers over the wheels you get about 6'2" wide at the seat tops.

Drop the floor 8" at the rear section and cut the frame around the door so there is no step over. Arch the rafters 3" and make them 1 1/2" x 2-3" in cross section .

Using 1/2" Russian birch ply, have 3 bulkheads. one at each end and one 2 1/2' in from the rear door.

Build an opening hatch over the rear area that is 3'w x 2.5' front to back and arched to match the roof

You will now have an area just inside the rear door that is 30 " front to back and about 6'1" tall with the hatch closed. build a small galley one one side and a porta potti on the other. Through the bulkhead you have apposing setees 6'4" long . If you make the seats 18" deep you still have 3' of floor space in between. Make them 24" deep and you still have 24" of floor and you can use them for sleeping without re arranging anything. Because the walls tilt out you don't really need cushions for your back. I designed the galley with a table that folds up against the wall when not in use. A bin at seat height under the table can store gear or be used as a seat when the galley is set up outside(most of the time)or can house the porta potti. The other side could then be used as a wardrobe.

Exterior can be 3/8" Re sawn fir siding. If you call around you can probably find it in 9 or 10 ft sheets if you want to run it horizontally . You could also skin it with 1/8 or 1/4" Russian birch plywood which is very strong having multiple plys. It is available in 5x5 and 4x8' sizes.
Cap't Jonny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby High Desert » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Mike, are those renderings based on a 4 x 8 trailer? You could also overhang the front a bit over the lower box to gain some interior space. And the drop floor like Cap'n Johnny mentioned would seem to fit this design nicely.
A cool idea you have going. 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

:roll: How small is tiny? My Vardo build with it's HF frame seemed tiny when sitting beside a 35' Diesel Pusher. The Ledge or lower part was 5' X 11'. I could have made it smaller but I really wanted a galley I could cook in. It weighed the same as my 5X10 teardrop (which was over built and a heavy 1400#). If you have a Vardo section, can you move my build thread ? Thanks.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am

Hey Mike , how about a nice Foam covering over those ribs ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby planovet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:Do I need to start a Vardo section?

I think that would be a cool idea :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby doris s. » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Mike,

I like your design. I like Miriam's idea of a folding bed for more interior space. A Vardo section would be great but I'd like a Standy section too. I'm planning on building a standy and wish there was one section to search on for design ideas.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Vardos are usually either slouchies or standys. You sort of stand, slouched over in a slouchy. So, I would think vardos and slouchies would qualify to be included in a standy section...Maybe a Vardos, Standys, & Slouchies section? Or are we getting a little far out there and maybe all these should go in the Tiny Travel Trailer section? :? Frankly, I prefer that all in-process builds go into the Build Journals section. It just makes sense.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 am

Mike,
    Yesterday Mezmo posted this link to a small Vardo in the bicycle travel trailers forum:
    May be some ideas that you could use in your design.
    :peace: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby toolman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Mike,

I'm still considering/dreaming about building something to camp in. i came across this vardo and thought it might be nice to have a standy. The kitchen could be on the sides of the trailer instead of at the rear. You don't need much more than a bed inside a TD or a Vardo, do you?

Anyway, here is a link to check out.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gypsy-trailers-for-the-Bristol-Renaissance-Faire/

The only thing that I can see about a Vardo is the drag as compared to a TD.

Jerry
toolman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IslandScribe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:01 am

Despite not knowing quite how to achieve it, I'm also hoping to build a Vardo. I have a small tent trailer base to re-purpose.
Since I've been thinking about squeezing as much as possible into a small space, my plan for the front bed section is to construct a ledge style Vardo with a front overhang. The front overhang will be supported by a storage box build into a frame on the trailer tongue. That frame already exists - it was part of the previous build on the trailer.
I then plan a single bed the size of a camping cot. Half would be on the front overhang and half would be inside the main box of the Vardo. Of course, I can get away with this because I'm only five feet tall and the width of the Vardo gives me enough space for a bed. I've already proved I can sleep on a camping cot, even with a Sheltie curled up beside me.
That gives me a sleeping space that matches the front alcove Vardo design but leaves most of the very limited floor space free for other purposes. I have to keep it small and light because the tent trailer frame was designed for approximately 800 to 1000 pounds and my Escape will only tow up to 1500 pounds.
IslandScribe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:03 am

You know , a real Vardo is very different from what we build . Four wheels and big enough to live in . Usually horse drawn ( or tractor ) , Slow moving … Comparable ( sorta’ ) to our Conestoga wagons. However, I cannot see smaller two wheel versions being stable at highway speeds … :thinking: One Foamie member already proved that a tall, skinny trailer would be easily subject to blow over in higher winds . Top heavy only exacerbates the problem . :o Perhaps a round top Vardo style would be better ? It structurally would be stronger , and perhaps less “draggy” … Just a thought !

And then , the real ones aren’t that much bigger than what we build , they are quite attractive ,remind us all of “ free spirits” ( the freedom of the Road ) and if you really want one , why not build a real Vardo … Just a few more materials , a couple more wheels , and a small tractor to pull it … In the off times you can use it as a guest house, or a place when your Mother in Law visits … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 pm

This vardo build is an "oldy, but goody": https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26296 It reverses the orientation and has the porch up front on the trailer tongue. Built on an extended Harbor Freight trailer, it has a low-height profile by using a footwell.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Patrio » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:22 pm

mikeschn wrote:When starting this post I noticed we don't have a Vardo section. Do I need to start a Vardo section?

Anyways, I thought a Vardo would be a simple, fast and fun design. But I wanted a small footprint Vardo. I tried 2 variations, and quickly realized that my designs are mostly bed, and not much room for anything else.

Anyone have any thoughts how to improve this?

Mike...

Mine's not a Vardo, but incorporates many of the design elements. It's surprisingly roomy inside considering it only has a 4x6 floor space.

I did the sideways bed across the front (6'6" wide) that folds into a couch. If you add a short front overhang, that will help open up the floor space and get your bed out of the way, especially if you make it fold into a couch.

The Trail Pod:

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74482
Patrio
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to General Discussion