Camping Times Paper

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camping Times Paper

Postby Chip » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:47 pm

thought ya'll would find it interesting what I found in this publication today,,http://www.camping-times.com/classic_rvs.html

enjoy,,chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grant » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:38 am

For the benefit of any folk who don't read the Teardroptimes 'Board, too, I'll post the same comments here as I did there, re: this article.

I've read this piece several times before, in several other places - seems that Chuck is getting a lot of mileage from it, and Teardropping a bit more exposure. All very general information, and for the most part, reasonably accurate. I do, however, take strong issue with a few lines of the story, and I truely hope that none of you reading this have "bought into" the claim ...

"The 'true' Teardrops evolved after World War II using surplus aircraft aluminum ..."

Just a small issue here - the overall basic design and function of teardrop trailers had fully "evolved" long before WWII. The "surplus aircraft aluminum" merely added a bit more longevity with much less maintenance, and gave the trailers a more modern aire about them.

But, here's the line (continued) that I (and YOU should) have the real problem with:

"... from the wings of World War II bombers, making these perhaps the only travel trailers that had actually experienced combat."

Folks, there is simply NO EVIDENCE to support that statement - it is just a romantic myth that some misdirected people have chosen to expound in order to impress the generally unknowing public. YES - SURPLUS aircraft aluminum WAS used on nearly all of the immedaite-post-WWII aluminum-clad teardrops! BUT - no where have any of us (myself and several other historians) been able to find ANY proof that any kind of "industry" existed that went out into the boneyards of de-commissioned bombers to strip the aluminum from the wings (fusealage, or any other part of the plane) to re-sell to fledgling American mfgs. to help recoup war costs or to turn a profit (the only reasons ANYONE would even think of doing something like that).

Now, I WILL concede that PERHAPS a handful of thrifty people ventured out to scavenge said aluminum for their PERSONAL projcts. But, there's just no PROOF that SALVAGED aircraft aluminum was ever used on any commercially produced teardrop.

Maybe you already knew that ... maybe I'm just rattling off on my keyboard ... but I, personally, don't think teardrops or teardropping needs (or wants) that kind of romantic mythology to impress our coolness on the great "unwashed". Teardrops and Teardroppers have enough coolness and practicality to stand on their own merits, without the need for ficticious fabling, thank you very much!

Next time you hear such drivel, kindly and quietly correct their misinformation, and send them on their way, please.

'Til next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby DANL » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:43 am

Hi Grant,

I'd have to agree with your point about the aluminum not being from scrapped bombers. I'd think there would be far too many rivet holes to make the stuff usable. The aluminum industry probably had backlogs of the stuff sitting in warehouses just waiting for some new use.

BTW... When I was a kid fifty years ago, I remember folks making pontoon boats out of surplus aluminum wingtip gas tanks. We had a lot of fun hanging around in the surplus stores--we could buy the strangest items for pennies. One of the neatest items was inflatable pontoons used to hold up floating bridges. We would strap a few together and float down our section of the Mississippi.

Anyway, enough from me. Have a great day!
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:24 am

folks I didnt post this article to be factual or accurate,,it was interesting to me that an article was printed in a camping publication about teardrops,,,,I would suspect that a few interprising military types actually scrounged some aircraft aluminum for their tears,,or found a pile laying around that was not being used and were able to put it to good use,,

heck I saw a program on HGTV last night about RVs and trailers,,,their example of a teardrop was a T@B,,I kept waiting for something on a smaller teardrop but it never happened,,

the interest in the post is ONLY that it made it into the publication and not to its accuracy,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grant » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:29 am

Chip!

I don't think ANYONE thinks you posted the article to stir up controversy! The story surely has it merits, as I said - "All very general information, and for the most part, reasonably accurate." - and it's always great to see when Teardrops get some long overdue attention. The point I was trying to make is that a FEW lines of the story are not founded on fact, and, unfortunately, continue to perpetrate a myth which I don't believe is in the best interest of Teardropping. They don't don't make the entire article bull, but they DO do it considerable disservice.

Think of it in terms of a media sound-bite: "From the Wings of WWII Bombers!" What kind of spin could a sensationalistic yellow journalist work with THAT headline?

THANK YOU, Chip, for posting the article! I was only trying to shed some light on the truth and debunk a myth, not discredit the story, or cast shadows on your intentions for posting it. I'll get off'n my soapbox, now ... ;-} ;-}

CHEERS!

Grant

p.s. - Ain't postin' to both 'Boards just a hoot? ;-} ;-} Oh, and I mean that in a GOOD way, Mike! THANKS for providing THIS forum!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:32 am

After the war, surplus items and materials were used for just about anything for quite a few years. When I was growing up in the 60's, my father bought a large lot of survival suits and we used and sold them as clam digging suits. Imediately following the war, supplies were in short order because all efforts had been turned towards the war effort.
Here's a blurb from another story on the history of the Kit trailer, that I stumbled upon. It only mentions that the aluminum used, was aircraft grade:

Materials after the war had to be obtained from surplus markets. The chassis was made of 2"x1" steel U channel, when it could be found, and from 1-1/2" round tube steel tube otherwise. Wheels were from Jeeps salvaged from sunken ships. Many had bullet holes in them which were welded up. Exterior skin was of .032" thick 24S-T aircraft grade aluminum.

Return to General Discussion