Are computer fans really a good option?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Are computer fans really a good option?

Postby Mike46 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 pm

I was wondering about using a 200 mm (8") computer fan and a smaller vent on my build, still in the design stage. Has anyone used the Heng's 17511-G1 9" vent? I thought this smaller size would better fit the teardrop size and the 200 mm fan would be a good match for the 9" vent.

Thanks, Mike
Mike46
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Mike, based on some of the comments from the thread, I'm thinking a "standard" rough-in for a 14" fan is probably better in general. It allows for another option if the smaller opening isn't working properly. I guess you could always do the 14" rough-in (actually 14+ inches), then build a smaller frame inside the 14" rough-in. When the roof & ceiling penetration is made for the smaller vent/fan combination, another option for the larger size would exist for later if changes needed to be made and a little cutting was done.

I'm still mulling this over and appreciate the answers so far. The lower energy cost & quiet operation is attractive, but higher airflow might win out still. Fortunately for me, there's still plenty of time to make a decision on this one. Also saw a Maxxair vent fan with 10 speeds, which might be another option. Any feedback on this type of fan? Is it as well made as the Fantastic model?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby webpager » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:31 pm

DMcCam wrote: It would be nice to make it run about half as much at times.

What about a thermostat? Is it heat or noise / wind?
webpager
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:48 pm

webpager wrote:
DMcCam wrote: It would be nice to make it run about half as much at times.

What about a thermostat? Is it heat or noise / wind?

Howdy, I was referring to the speed of the fan. On the low setting it moves quite a bit of air which is a little more than needed sometimes. If it were halved the other settings would be more in tune with the small space of a teardrop.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby glenpinpat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I installed a computer fan last year after camping through some hot days. It is a small 6" fan that is screwed to a piece of aluminum. The fan blows air straight out of the roof vent, runs on 12 volt and only has one speed(fast). We turn it on about an hour before we go to sleep. It gets turned off before we sleep. With the front window slightly open it draws cold air in and blows the hot out. It works great and on the few warm days we camp it has allowed cool night air in. Total cost was about 5 bucks for switch, fan and wire. I know fantastic fans and better set ups would work better but I needed something quick with little modifications and as cheap as possible. I am very satisfied with its operation.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 03, 2023 11:09 pm

I am planning to use 5 computere fans
I am planning to use a small battery close to the fans

I found this site to help one find the right battery

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/c ... -load.html
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 am

I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It had a computer fan that wasn't enough, and I added a second one. It didn't help much, and I didn't like having to run them almost all the time we were inside.

When I saw a So-Cal teardrop in 2013 with a ceiling vent fan, I started cutting material for a new 'drop three weeks later.

We seldom turn our ceiling vent fan on (in fact, we just got back from a 24 day camping trip with temps between 24 and 85º, and turned the fan on twice)--but we always have it open, Just a half inch or so when it's cold and all the way when it's warm. So that's the advantage of a ceiling vent fan over computer fans. You don't need to turn it on most of the time.

If I told my wife I was building a teardrop and was planning on not installing a ceiling roof van, I'd be shipped off to the looney bin. :frightened:

Just a thought... :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Thu May 04, 2023 12:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:

I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It had a computer fan that wasn't enough, and I added a second one. It didn't help much, and I didn't like having to run them almost all the time we were inside.

When I saw a So-Cal teardrop in 2013 with a ceiling vent fan, I started cutting material for a new 'drop three weeks later.

We seldom turn our ceiling vent fan on (in fact, we just got back from a 24 day camping trip with temps between 24 and 85º, and turned the fan on twice)--but we always have it open, Just a half inch or so when it's cold and all the way when it's warm. So that's the advantage of a ceiling vent fan over computer fans. You don't need to turn it on most of the time.

If I told my wife I was building a teardrop and was planning on not installing a ceiling roof van, I'd be shipped off to the looney bin. :frightened:

Just a thought... :thinking:

Tony
Tony is correct!

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu May 04, 2023 5:47 pm

We've used our Maxxfan all night on many occasions. Particularly in the Northeast in Summer. I don't know how well computer fans would work instead. If I were to do it, I think I'd put them up on the walls near the ceiling to expel warm moist air. I'd then have windows or passive vents down low to bring in outside air.

By putting them on the walls, it eliminates the problem of the roof leaking, although we haven't had that problem with our Maxxfan (with shroud). We have, often, had a problem with rain blowing in our side windows, so that might be a problem with the computer fans. Perhaps they would need some sort of shroud like a dryer vent?

Incidentally, back in the 40's, some of the teardrops seemed to have had vents up on the walls immediately below the roof, probably the thinking was also to expel moist air without roof leakage. I'd sure want to be able to shut them off for travel to keep dust out. Probably you'll want the same with computer fans.

Far as being sent to a loony bin, we've been taking our cat with us lately, so the three of us in the tear probably constitute a loony bin! :banana: :dancing: :R

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu May 04, 2023 8:54 pm

Teardrops are Bin like.......
BTW my fantastic fan with a pwm motor controller is essential in my CLC. Without it, my Sinbin would be a sweat lodge.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri May 05, 2023 12:43 am

my trailer has a trolley top the side window open if heat it to much, the fan would just make sure there is air movement. along with the windows on the doors.
I did this because at times we will be camping in Death Valley.

the fans will be directional two for the sides, 3 will move air in or out of the trailer. The fans will have their own battery.

So you still think it will be two little. These fans were free.
Below is the air exhaust system vents in and out.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri May 05, 2023 12:01 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:A)...I don't know how well computer fans would work instead. If I were to do it, I think I'd put them up on the walls near the ceiling to expel warm moist air. I'd then have windows or passive vents down low to bring in outside air.

B) By putting them on the walls, it eliminates the problem of the roof leaking, although we haven't had that problem with our Maxxfan (with shroud). We have, often, had a problem with rain blowing in our side windows, so that might be a problem with the computer fans. Perhaps they would need some sort of shroud like a dryer vent?

C) Incidentally, back in the 40's, some of the teardrops seemed to have had vents up on the walls immediately below the roof, probably the thinking was also to expel moist air without roof leakage. I'd sure want to be able to shut them off for travel to keep dust out. Probably you'll want the same with computer fans....

* A) I have two computer case fans mounted on the walls, just below roof level. I can use them to expel warm air, or by reversing them, bring in cooler fresh air (thru insect screens). There are also two awning-style windows, mounted lower, that (also screened) bring in more fresh air (in milder weather).

* B) The exterior housings for the vents are waterproof (they were meant for roof-mounting, so mounted on the sidewalls, are doubly waterproof). I already have a dozen holes thu my roof (though sealed with PL adhesive and coated-over with a flexible membrane), so I never considered a roof vent (well maybe a Flexner, for a moment), and found a waterproof vent instead. And the awning-style windows really perform well, keeping out the rain, unless coming in a sideways gale!

* C) The fans are mounted on swing-outs (and can be turned towards the interior, if only a small bit of airflow is desired, or the main air circulator fan or A/C are not in use), behind a butterfly closure, that seal out dust & airflow, if not needed. I leave them open a bit, whenever I'm in the cabin, to expel moisture & carbon monoxide, no matter the weather conditions. The fans run on 12vdc battery, and consume so little current that I usually always leave them on, even when not inside.
airflow & case fan detail.jpg
airflow & case fan detail.jpg (207.67 KiB) Viewed 593 times

computer case fan over vents for good, cheap air circulation.jpg
computer case fan over vents for good, cheap air circulation.jpg (261.75 KiB) Viewed 593 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Modstock » Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 pm

Last year I went to a Overlanding expo show and one of the trailers had a wall vent up near the ceiling with a built in fan. It pops out to open up the vent.
Pre built unit, just cut hole and install.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 07, 2023 10:17 am

and one of the trailers had a wall vent...

Vistibule had those as an option over the standard vent fan for a short time. People didn't like them. They were noisy and didn't move air when off.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mark Gunter » Mon May 15, 2023 12:45 pm

The wife and I live in a 34’ Dutchmen Astoria bumper pull, it came with a tiny fan in the bathroom with the standard 14” vent … last year, I swapped that out with a fantastic fan that I had never installed in my van build, we’re very happy with volume of air it moves when needed. When it’s not in use, we stuff one of those pillows in it that are made for the purpose, those have reflectix on one side and fluff on the other. Works well to insulate during very cold or uber hot days.

I splurged on a Maxxfan Deluxe to go in the current standy build. I like the fact that they can run in a rainstorm. I had a real problem needing ventilation in bad weather when I was living in the van. Dead air gets stuffy fast, especially with the humidity and barometric pressure during lengthy rain storms. I’ve been jonesing to try the Maxxair solution for a long time. The standy will be pretty small, but still quite a bit more space than a TD. Will be interesting to see if the Maxxfan is crazy overkill for us. One big plus is that on low, it draws less current than the fantastic fan.

Supposedly, this fan can also be run as a “ceiling fan” with the vent completely shut, should we ever need that option. From reviews, I take it that the maxxair is a bit noisier than the fantastic fan. For my wife, this is a big plus for her sleeping. As for me, an earthquake couldn’t wake me once I’ve fallen asleep.

I would never rely solely on a computer fan for ventilation, unless it’s sole purpose were to cool a battery bank or an appliance. I might feel differently if I were in a teardrop rather than a ttt standy. I definitely agree with the advice above, build in anticipation of a 14 x 14 opening even if you don’t plan to cut it open right away.
I'm a happy man, I love my life!

My Gunter Li’l Standy build journal:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75291
Mark Gunter
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion