Quick and easy on theft protection

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Quick and easy on theft protection

Postby darrellbeck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:28 pm

I am sure this subject has been discussed before, but I am going to start it again. What are your simplest theft prevention ideas? We all know that padlocks only keep honest people out, so what do you do to mess up the ease that thieves can get trailers with. After all, all they have to do is back up to it, hook up, and drive away.
Remember this: the more that you can slow them down, either before they hook up or after, the better chance of the trailer not being stolen, or if stolen, then recovered. And, if you are like me, it has to be something that basically does itself, since the longer you go without having your trailer stolen, the more apt you are to not use it.
One easy thing is if you are the only one who tows it, just reverse the wires for running lights and ground at the plug on both the trailer and the tow vehicle. Since both are reversed on your vehicle, it will work fine. When hooked up to a conventionally (correctly) wired vehicle it will blow the fuse for the running lights, since the running lights on most vehicles come on with the ignition switch. Other wise, it will still pop the fuse when the lights are turned on. I have never seen any form of law enforcement officer that wouldn't stop a vehicle with no lights.
A second idea would require the flipping of a switch each time. That would work by mounting a siren in a protected place under the trailer and powering it through a relay and the hidden (inside?) switch, which in turn would be powered by the running lights.
OK, now you have seen a couple of my weird ideas, what are yours?

Darrell
darrellbeck
Teardrop Master

Re: Quick and easy on theft protection

Postby felixx » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:47 pm

install one of these:

How about a HT chain around the axle locked to an eyelet dynabolted to your concrete pad?
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Tucguy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dalorin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:57 pm

I purchased a wheel chock and a tongue lock. My understanding is that both of these are easy to get past by anyone that has purchased a wheel chock and tongue lock. They simply do not make many key combinations so it basically serves as a general deterrent. The most sensible thing that I've heard to date is to remove one of the wheels.

So that is my plan. In addition to having a tongue lock and wheel chock I'm going to remove one of the wheels whenever I'm camping. Your mileage may vary.

On the trailer that I had built there are 15 inch tires. I have to think that finding one laying around is going to be awfully inconvenient.
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 pm

I use one of these on my hitch....it will only make them go to the easy target unless they really want it.

The "Hockey Puck" locks are pretty much tamper proof and bolt cutters are useless on them and the pin is a hardened 3/4" so it will take a while and a lot of blades to saw thru it, about the only thing to get it off would be a end or side grinder and I doubt they would spend the time or relish the attention. Bottom line is if they want it bad enough they will get it. :worship: Just pray it never happens :cry:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:37 pm

I believe this video has been around here before.
It pretty much makes you want to throw in the towel right from the git go. And you have to suspect some slight of the hand techniques since it is promoting a particular lock.

Look around You Tube and there are many more test there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_zz80h_Tc
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 am

Get an unusual hitch type like a tregg or mchitch or whatever, simply statistics alone your alot better off than the other guy.
Wheel clamps help.
2 levels of protection =75 % less likely to be stolen
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:37 am

I feel theft-free, when I unbolt my slide-out tongue, and slip it into the trunk of the car. No one has a similar tongue to fit my tear.
8) :lol: Roly ~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:09 pm

I think I want a hitch lock but my worry it that if someone was trying to remove it to steal the TD and damaged the lock to the point that I could not unlock it to remove it.

Anyone have a good idea for one that would not fail like that?

Thanks
Bill
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Roly's hitch setup. ;)

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 pm

If they want it badly enough they will get it.
Any lock you can get a bolt cutter on is toast, period! Look up Bike lock test on Youtube.
I switched to a bulldog coupler so I could use one of these
http://trailerlocksonline.com
The central shank is 4140 steel and the aluminum can not be cut with a bolt cutter. The best you can do is make it time consuming and make it puzzling.
A GPS tracker will also work but requires an on going expense.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:06 pm

I have the best anti-theft ever, 50 feet of snow two to three feet deep!
For the rest of the time I put a coupler hitch lock when camping. I think it is more visual than usefull. Taking a wheel off will slow them down better than most ideas. The other one I like is, dig a three foot deep hole, bury a cinder block in it with a chain or cable through it, park the tear over it and lock the chain or cable to the axle.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

I have a Lo-Jack on my trailer. First the teardrop and now the Burro. If the trailer is going to be taken by someone other than myself, I don't want any damage done. And who looks for a recovery system on a trailer? :)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby felixx » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:23 am

I will weld my number plate onto my drawbar and use dome form of hitch lock

It will be insured too
felixx
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:31 am

felixx wrote:I will weld my number plate onto my drawbar and use dome form of hitch lock

It will be insured too

I got my Vin number from vic roads. I'll stamp it at least two places plus the hitch
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion