Round Wiley Window alternative?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Round Wiley Window alternative?

Postby Talia62 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:33 am

KennethW wrote:
rowerwet wrote:I would think a round window pivoted from the top would tend to let rain in when open.
Hinged to pivot across the middle might be better, but screening it could be an issue

I don't get why one would not go with a wiley window. It solves all the problems,is easy to build and low cost. If you make it with a removeable screen (a plastic panel with a hole and a screen glued to it. You have a lot of combinations for all kinds of weather. You could even have a fan or heater as a panel instead of the window. Even a swamp cooler is possible. I have a fully vented propane heater I but in mine when needed.

Because they're ugly and chunky. Some of us prefer smooth lines without hard corners poking into our limited interior trailer space.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby Talia62 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 am

rowerwet wrote:I would think a round window pivoted from the top would tend to let rain in when open.
Hinged to pivot across the middle might be better, but screening it could be an issue

Which is why I suggested cutting a small chord across the top. You wouldn't need to do it all the way down in the middle, and I wouldn't want that anyway because it would cut through the viewing area. You'd also probably want a drip rail of some sort across the top, just like people do for their doors.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Talia62 wrote:

Which is why I suggested cutting a small chord across the top. You wouldn't need to do it all the way down in the middle, and I wouldn't want that anyway because it would cut through the viewing area. You'd also probably want a drip rail of some sort across the top, just like people do for their doors.

I meant one pane that pivots along the horizontal center. The top goes in and the bottom out.
In my ply tear the wall is 1.75" thick and my foamie 2" +. A round window with a pivot a few inches from the top would do what you want as the screen would be on the inside wall face. The top could swing in the depth of the wall and the bottom could open out as far as you wanted with the right geometry.
I would cut a panel of plexi round except for two ears that would be the hinge points. Theses would ride in buldges in the outer skin that were the hinge bearings. A rod at the bottom would open and shut them from inside. By folding the rod flat to the wall the window would lock shut.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 pm

KennethW wrote:

I don't get why one would not go with a wiley window. It solves all the problems,is easy to build and low cost. If you make it with a removeable screen (a plastic panel with a hole and a screen glued to it. You have a lot of combinations for all kinds of weather. You could even have a fan or heater as a panel instead of the window. Even a swamp cooler is possible. I have a fully vented propane heater I but in mine when needed.

Personally I am a Wiley window guy, ive never found mine intrusive, however my latest build has gama seal windows on parts of it due to clearance issues and the fact that two face forward.
gallery/album.php?album_id=4186
They open fully and are screened, but cannot be seen through when shut. A removable inside plexi panel will cover them for that function.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:26 pm

With a clear removable inside panel, and the gama seal ring inserted from the inside, I believe you would have a simple round window for little money. Dress up the outside with a ring and you will be good, as long as your walls are thick enough. :thumbsup:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I like the Gamma seal concept.

Would it be possible to use two of the rings (one on each side) so you could screw in the cap from either side and/or get a "finished " look on both sides? How thick would the walls need to be?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Talia62 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:59 pm

rowerwet wrote:
Talia62 wrote:

I meant one pane that pivots along the horizontal center. The top goes in and the bottom out.
In my ply tear the wall is 1.75" thick and my foamie 2" +. A round window with a pivot a few inches from the top would do what you want as the screen would be on the inside wall face. The top could swing in the depth of the wall and the bottom could open out as far as you wanted with the right geometry.
I would cut a panel of plexi round except for two ears that would be the hinge points. Theses would ride in buldges in the outer skin that were the hinge bearings. A rod at the bottom would open and shut them from inside. By folding the rod flat to the wall the window would lock shut.

But still, that leaves window parts protruding into the interior of the trailer, which is what my main objection to Wiley windows was originally about. If it works for you, great, but it's not for me.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:I like the Gamma seal concept.

Would it be possible to use two of the rings (one on each side) so you could screw in the cap from either side and/or get a "finished " look on both sides? How thick would the walls need to be?

It depends on the depth of the lid, I'm far from home now so can't give an answer.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:38 am

Looks from your photos that it's around a 1.5" high. Maybe you could use the lip off a 5 gallon pail. Just cut it to the right length. Should slip right in.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Looks from your photos that it's around a 1.5" high. Maybe you could use the lip off a 5 gallon pail. Just cut it to the right length. Should slip right in.

There is some extra depth to the ring beyond the lid when screwed tight. That excess could be cut or sanded away.
I think you would need 2" walls or more to have threads on both sides and a screen in the middle.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:13 am

I emailed the gama seal co when I first came up with this idea suggesting they make a larger flanged ring so these could be used as deck hatches for boats. No response. Now I want them to make clear lids...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:01 am

OK, measured a ring. Depth will be 1.2" from the outer surface of the wall. The lid is a hair deeper than the ring.
Wall will be 2.25" to have a ring in and out.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:00 am

Here's sorta what you may want - but it's in Britain, where inland canal boats have used opening "dropback" portholes for some time (100 years?):

PRO Brass Portholes if you want to browse around - but remember a British pound £ is about $1.50 and shipping would be horrendous, before you get all over-excited.

Oh, and for anyone in the UK, that glass is probably not e-marked so wouldn't pass the IVA trailer test.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:02 pm

angib wrote:Here's sorta what you may want - but it's in Britain, where inland canal boats have used opening "dropback" portholes for some time (100 years?):

PRO Brass Portholes if you want to browse around - but remember a British pound £ is about $1.50 and shipping would be horrendous, before you get all over-excited.

Oh, and for anyone in the UK, that glass is probably not e-marked so wouldn't pass the IVA trailer test.

I like it, basically a round wiley window
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm

My porthole is hinged on top and opens from the inside with a kickstand on the bottom of the window. There is a screen which the kickstand passes thru. When closed there is a wood porthole cover for privacy. It all works perfectly. I think port holes give hints of Jules Verne meets Buck Rodgers retro future look.

I have not had a water entry problem on any of the 4 opening windows including the portholes. But I am sure if conditions are right water will enter any window. When it does I will close the window that is taking on water and open the leeward side.
I have air vents on the front that I can open if all windows are closed. Fan provides forced ventilation via the vents if its hot and the windows are closed.

I have great respect for builders (maybe a touch of envy too). I purchased my trailer. I do not have the time or skill to build anything that would come close to what I purchased.

I do have the time to enjoy it and it has turned out to be a great fun. This is my first year trailer’ing. I love looking at the wonderful designs and execution I see here.

As a backpacker the trailer seems like a luxury hotel in great locations. When I get home after a vacation I feel like the bedroom (normal size) is way larger than I really need!

Happy Holidays
Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion