The Fun Begins...!!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The Fun Begins...!!

Postby Larwyn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:42 pm

Hello folks, I really apreciate all the good advice from this group. Now I have gone and ignored half of it and finally started building my TD.

I picked up the Harbor Freight 1800lb payload trailer on Friday morning.
Assembeled the frame and got it square and flat before dark, but only after twisting a few of those soft bolts in two. Saturday morning I picked up some grade 8 bolts from Tractor Supply and replaced all the HF bolts one at a time to maintian all the alignment work I had done on Friday. I then weldeded all of the cross members at the intersection with the side rails.
In order to move the axel back I cut one of the cross members in half to splice the front and back halves of the trailer together, as I have read on this group. I welded the two halves together as well as using half inch all thread from the center crossmember on the rear half to the rear cross member on the front half of the frame. The existing holes in the crossmembers were hogged out a bit to accept the all thread, which I originally intended only to hold things in place till I got it welded but decided to leave them in place. They cant hurt anything and may actually help keep things square and rigid till the floor and cabin are in place.

The only part of the HF trailer that I am not completely satisfied with (other than the "snap off" bolts) is the coupler they supply for the tounge. I have no intention of wresteling with that thing, Looks like another trip to Tractor Supply is in order.

I plan to get a couple of coats of paint on the frame this week, and the only plan for the weekend is to get the floor assembeled and attached to the frame. May post some pictures if anyone is interested in my trailer mods on the HF trailer.

At any rate the excitement of construction has begun and I just had to chime in and let the group know that there will soon be another TD in Texas. Expect lots of questions from a frustrated ole country boy from Texas soon.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:56 pm

Sounds like you are on your way! I hope you have fun with your teardrop and we would all like to see some pics as soon as possible. Everything done to it is an acomplishment and we like to see others work. Bye and good luck!
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby mexican tear » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Larwyn

I saw a site where he cut off the HF coupler and mad a triangle piece to mount the coupler and the jack. I do not remember where, but it looked like a great ides. Just weld a 2" piece on a flat triangle, cut the hole for the jack in the triangle and bolt it to the stubs where you used the "sazall" and cut off the old coupler.

The next trailer I build will have a triangle in front with the jack in the center, rather than hanging on the side.

good luck
kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Re: The Fun Begins...!!

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:33 pm

Larwyn wrote: May post some pictures if anyone is interested in my trailer mods on the HF trailer.

Yes, by all means posts lots of photos of your construction.

Did you have the same hitch as Bev? If so, I can understand why you won't be using that!!!

So are you starting off with a 4x8, or are you going to weld on some extensions to get a wider trailer?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:09 pm

HeHeHeHe :lol: :lol: another one bites the dust,,,,Larwyn,,, none of us has any hair left and a few more,,what the heck do I do now wrinkles but in the end its all just an adventure,,,hope ya enjoy it as much as most of us have or are enjoying,,,lets see now you from Texas so this thing should be about 16 feet wide and 32 feet long with John Deere tires,,

Just messing with ya man,,have fun and post a bunch of pics,,if ya run into a snag just ask,,,sombody will come up with an answer

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Good luck and have fun. You guys that build your own with such great results make me wish I had more "skills".

Rhonda
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby mexican tear » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Larwyn

Where in Texas are you?

I have a travel trailer in Brownsville and go there every few months for a week or so. You uave to go to the DR. yoi know.

I realy would like to see how someone is doing. In Mexico there is no one that does anything like build a TD.

kai
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:54 am

[/quote]
So are you starting off with a 4x8, or are you going to weld on some extensions to get a wider trailer?

Mike...[/quote]

Yes, from my own experience tent camping and "camping" in a 27ft 5th wheel trailer, and also from reading about TD's, I am sure that this one is just a test bed for the real TD to come later. So this one will be very basic, 4X8, maximizing the cabin area and keeping the galley very simple for use of existing camping gear.

The coupler is the same as the one Bev had, will replace that right off.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:57 am

mexican tear wrote:Larwyn

Where in Texas are you?

Kai

In Plantersville, about 40 miles north of Houston.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:25 am

Larwyn wrote: I am sure that this one is just a test bed for the real TD to come later. So this one will be very basic, 4X8, maximizing the cabin area and keeping the galley very simple for use of existing camping gear.

Welcome to the 2nd teardrop club!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mexican tear » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:56 am

Larwyn

A little far for a day trip, however maybe I will be able to stop in there on a trip someplace. If I ever get the TD finished.

kai
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:23 am

mikeschn wrote:
Larwyn wrote: May post some pictures if anyone is interested in my trailer mods on the HF trailer.

Yes, by all means posts lots of photos of your construction.

Mike...

Just posted 4 pics my personal album on this group. Take a look, the working conditions may be more interesting than the actual work.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:44 am

Good photos in your album... keep a running photo history of that project for us, will ya? :wink:

As for the bolt heads shearing off, I think I understand why... All you have out there is a little fan! You need a large A/C to keep those bolts cool!!! :violent3: :toothy7: Just kidding!

If you start with a flat trailer, you shouldn't have any problem building the rest of it. Just use the floor of the trailer as your work bench!

I'm using the floor of the carport as my flat surface... I think it would be challenging to level the trailer the way you are doing it...

Keep up the good work!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:15 am

Wow, you are on your way to tear. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:35 am

mikeschn wrote:I'm using the floor of the carport as my flat surface... I think it would be challenging to level the trailer the way you are doing it...

Keep up the good work!

Mike...

Actually if the floor is not perfectly flat you wouuld still have to shim the trailer to get it flat. In my case the "shims" are simply much thicker.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Next

Return to General Discussion