Minnesota permanent trailer license

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Minnesota permanent trailer license

Postby Still Has Potential » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Anyone have experience with the Minnesota permanent trailer license? When I registered my brand new utility trailer a year ago I was given a shiny license sticker to place on the tongue in place of a plate on the back. Sweet, no renewal fee! Now that I am half way done with my teardrop, I'm wondering: A. Will I need to reregister? and if not...2) Will I be constantly explaining why there is no plate on my tiny RV to the polite man with the flashing lights on the roof of his car every time I enter a new state? or ... III.) Will a cheesy pretend Minnesota plate on the back of the trailer say it all to the polite man with the flashing lights on his car so he can go pursue bank robbers instead?
Still Has Potential
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Minnesota permanent trailer license

Postby KennethW » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:10 am

I have not heard of anyone having a problem.Does putting a mattress in a pickup make it a RV?
My understanding if there is no bathroom it is no a RV.
I may be wrong.
The LEO in Texas did not have a problem with it.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:44 am

I have one on my Little Guy for 6 years now. Never been questioned. No kitchen bathroom or plumbing Minnesota sees it as a utility trailer
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Still Has Potential » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Good to know! I shall teardrop down the highway with confidence. Thanks for the replies.

Hey, PKCSPT, that Little Guy behind the Bug look awesome together. Does that combination work well for you on longer trips?
Still Has Potential
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

It sure does, I even carry my canoe up top.
It has a 5 speed manual which I think helps. I keep my Little Guy real light, it's only a 4 wide. But up and down the hills and turns of the north shore and backroads are no problem. Car doesn't know it is there.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:27 pm

From what I understand the permanent license is based on weight capacity not use
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:42 pm

When I got mine, and I drove it to the license station so they could see it. They explained it had no kitchen, bathroom, running water so it is licensed as a utility trailer. Being so small It doesn't fall under cargo trailer. I have had the permanent one since 2009
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm in Minnesota also. Talked to the nice ladies at the local DMV office about this. Next payday I'm going to make good on their words. We agreed it could be registered as a "utility/TD", or "utility/TD camper". They also said the chances of the subject being made a big issue is slight, but what can be done? You bought a plain trailer and built your own camper on it!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Well it's done. I went to the dmv office today and registered my teardrop. I used a Northern Tool landscape trailer to build on. Asked the nice young lady if we could add teardrop to the description. So it says Teardrop/Landscape in the description. Paid $419 for the trailer 5 yearsago. Yah it's been a project in the works for a while! It was $94 for permanent registration. Real easy. So it's road ready!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Dusty Mark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:38 am

The ladies at our local MN DMV took a conservative view and suggested my galley and bed made it more than a utility trailer, so I registered my teardrop camper as a recreational trailer to avoid any potential hassles. I received the title yesterday! 8)
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby Bigwoods » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I registered my tear about 6 years ago. I have a RU plate (Minnesota). Always thought it meant recreation utility. I have to get a sticker every year and it cost $12.00. Kind of a hassle but I guess I'll keep it that way.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby jonesnforcampin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:34 am

Not in MN, but here in AZ if it is an RV it can't get permanent tags. A personal open trailer can.

Sooooo. I built/am building my camper to be removable from the trailer. When all is done I should be able to get the camper off the trailer with the wife and I in mere minutes. Got my permanent tags and a utility flat bed trailer for when I need it. :D

Just an idea for those looking for permanent tags.
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby mnswamp » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:22 pm

I went in to the local (Columbia Heights) service center and registered my TD today. No bathroom, no running water, it's a utility trailer. The one 'caution' - if you are honest on the form and actually list the big chunks, you really want to make sure you have all your receipts listing out the sales tax! (I was about 50/50).
If the value is 5000 or higher, you need to actually have the receipts. If you don't, you pay tax based on the value. Minus whatever tax receipts you have.

I walked out with my permanent Minnesota trailer tag.
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion